No Right Answer: Worst Pet Ever - Cats Worse Than Dogs?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
The only dogs I can stand are small dogs and even then they're usually loud and obnoxious to make up for them being so tiny. Big dogs always smell no matter how many baths you give them, especially if they live outside. They always want to slobber all over you and be either right on you or next to you when you just want to relax. I get that it's a dogs way of showing they love you but I don't want a dog's disgusting tongue anywhere near me, nor their stench. Also they shit EVERYWHERE fuck that.

Cats are perfect. They're low maintenance, poop/pee in a box and nowhere else, kill small pests in your house and aren't loud when guests come over. Long hair cats are a pain in the ass though I'll give you that. Better have 100 lint rollers at the ready and be prepared to never wear black clothes.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Dogs actually have a measurable utility but it depends on the breed and mostly on the owner working with and training the dog. Cats on the other hand will catch small rodents...if and when they feel like and usually will go for killing natural wildlife rather than problem pests. Ever woke up to find a litter of dead rabbits on you porch and still have a mouse problem? I have. Cats are lame.

BramblinTheGnome

Jul 10, 2009
One thing I've noticed about the more extreme of dog vs cat people. Extreme cat lovers tend to just not like the idea of dogs, and don't want one. Extreme dog lovers hate cats and think they are a horrible plague on society and f cat people because they are terrible and stupid. I'm sure this observation isn't at all skewed by my cat oriented bias.

I don't want a dog because I'm lazy and prefer a pet that can mostly take care of itself. I go to my dog lover friends to play with their dogs if I want to. And to the people out there stating cats show no affection I just don't understand what you are saying. A well treated cat will frequently greet you when you come home, chase toys, sit near you when you read and just purr, ask to be pet, sit on your head when you are feeling down. Maybe not all the time, but if you have to be constantly bombarded with affection to know it exists that's not the pet's fault.

Perhaps I just don't understand the dog person mentality I frequently see with the more extreme dog lovers. They view their dog as more of a tool or item to show off. "Look at what I can get my dog to do! Surely I am a master of control that deserves to be showered with praise for my abilities, for I am a man that can dominate nature." That's nice, you convinced a creature specifically bred to follow commands to... follow commands. Next you will train a calculator to calculate and a washer to wash. I am amazed. Ok, fine. a farm dog is a tool, a guard dog is a tool. But the family pet? That should be a companion, not have it's tricks shown off with the same enthusiasm as your new iPhone.

One thing I will give to dogs is it's a pain to try to train a cat to go for walks (though hilarious when I see someone who has succeeded). Walking a dog can be pretty awesome. In fact most playing with dogs is more energetic, which can be a lot of fun if that's what you want. Also, less people seem to be allergic to dogs than cats which is a plus.

To both types of pet lovers though, I would like to explain something to you. Not everyone likes your pet. Most people are indifferent to your pet, and some people might straight out hate it. If you have cats or dogs and someone that hates them or is scared of them comes over, lock it in a room w/ food for the visit... then after find new friends, because really who hates their friend's pet? If you are walking your dog in public, it is NOT ok to let it run up to random people who are showing no interest in the dog. I do not want to be attacked by a 50 freakin' pounds of muscle attached to 1 inch long teeth. Is this dog friendly? I will only know if I still have a face in a couple of seconds. I will tell you that it is ok this happened, but that's not true, you are a horrible person. I just don't want to say so or you will assume I'm verbally attacking your dog because you are too stupid to realize it's you I hate and not your pet. Keep your pet under control.

Final thoughts, some studies have shown that cat owners on average are slightly smarter than dog owners. I am going to completely ignore the idea of correlation vs causation and assume this means I can surround myself with cats until I am the SMARTEST MAN ALIVE! This will totally work.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Gotta go with Kyle on this one. Fish is the worst pet ever. Its not even a pet. Why are pets called a pet? Probably because you can pet it. Can you pet a fish? Yeah, but who the hell would want to? Most pet fish would die from a little petting as well. What do you do with a fish? You clean their tank, you feed them stuff, then you watch them and wish you had a real pet.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Chris' reasons for disliking dogs can be summed up as "I'm too lazy to put the work into making my dog a certified badass guard".

Say what you will, but cats cannot be tamed as well. You train a dog, and it will listen to your every command. You train a cat and it will not work, it will just go off and do it's own thing.

And hey, at least there's companionship with a dog. Some people can become overly-attached, but at least you'll have some funny stories to tell about how a dog wrecked your place or how it shagged every other dog in the neighbourhood. Cat owners don't say much about cats because there are no stories, of any kind.

"Uhh... my cat ate food that one time. That's about it"

Dogs ftw.
I can tell you the story of how one of our cats was homosexual. And the story of how one of our other cats got lost in the forest. And how our kittens got utterly freaked out when my dad had to vacuum their pen. And how the same kittens managed to climb a 170 cm tall wooden cupboard every single night, with us being none the wiser as to how they got up there. And of how the day we got one of our cats I searched all around the house to find it, until after 60 minutes I finally saw it peeking out from behind the washing machine with a timid glance.

Now fish, on the other hand?

http://www.bugmartini.com/comic/pet-sedentary/

This comic says it all.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm more biased to dogs, because if you tai scare of them, they're happy to see you and always want to be around you. Cats think you just exist for THEIR convenience, and couldn't give a crap about you.

But Kyle's right. Fish barely qualify as pets, because unlike cats and dogs, you can't PLAY with a fish.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Cats need to be fed twice a day, and their litter box cleaned once a week or so.
Dogs need to be fed twice a day, walked twice a day, bathed once a week, paid attention to CONSTANTLY, and babysat whenever you leave the house for more than an hour.

Dogs are not worth the effort. Cats 4 life.

Baddamobs

Aug 21, 2013
Jesus, the cat hate in this thread is OFF THE HOOOOOOK!

...Ahem, excuse me. Anyway, I think dogs lovers sometimes forget that their poor reputation often comes from bull like this, which is a shame, really. They do the pets they're defending an injustice.

I myself am in the middle ground. I currently have a cat (whom actually is affectionate: just because he doesn't come leaping and bounding over doesn't mean he doesn't show affection*, same how just because you best friend doesn't hug you every day doesn't make them an ass for it), but I'm not opposed to dogs in general. Especially big dogs, those lovable bastards.

Screw fish, though. Fish are meant to swim in the sea; not in a tiny tank for amusement, especially when that amusement is short lived.

* Look, like all cats, he likes time to himself, and rather he'd be left to it. But most nights, he'll get you to follow him to whatever spot he's decided to sleep on that night, and just kind of look up at you. When he sees you are willing to stroke him for a while, he'll stretch out, lightly purring, and quietly settle down, before closing his eyes, and slips off to sleep. It's honestly quite a calming experience.
So no, he doesn't come bounding up to when you get home. But it's in those quiet moments, when it's clear he doesn't want anything else other then your company, that you KNOW for a fact, he does care, in his own way.

Edit: that said, both group of owners can be varying degrees of good and bad. Maybe we should learn to stop saying people are 'wrong' for liking something we don't like (something the gaming community could benefit from...)

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
crazyburnerboy8 said:
THEY ACTUALLY GIVE A SHIT IF YOUR ALIVE cats DONT FUCKING CARE.
Naw, cats just realize that some times you don't want to deal with their shit so will leave you alone, unlike needy ass dogs.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
crazyburnerboy8 said:
OK YOU GUYS ARE RELY REACHING, i know no good games have come out but DOGS VS CATS (what the fuck) whats next UP VS DOWN, NIGHT VS DAY get real. Also DOGS !!!! THEY ACTUALLY GIVE A SHIT IF YOUR ALIVE cats DONT FUCKING CARE.
That's silly! Up vs Down isn't for three weeks!

We're totally doing Day vs Night now. It's decided. The fans have asked for it and who am I to deny them?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
ecoho said:
Just so you all know I do own a cat as well and she's not nearly as useful as my dog.
This is why I prefer cats as pets. Why should pets have a "use"? I consider that demeaning to the animal. Let it live on its own terms, without training its instincts out of it, without its existence being solely to serve me. It seems like a lot of dog owners don't actually like dogs, as they are constantly telling it what to do and bossing it around. They want a machine to respond to their whims, not an animal conducting itself as it would do in nature. If the benefits are mutual then that's fine, but a lot of dogs seem miserable to me especially ones living in cities.

At the very least, I think pets should have the opportunity to escape if they wish. Cats have that opportunity, as long as they are allowed outside. Dogs don't. A pet should not be a prisoner.

Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Cat owners don't say much about cats because there are no stories, of any kind.
Yeah, that's bullshit. Our family has a ton of entertaining stories from almost 20 years with our now deceased cat. Not that you would be interested in them, but I'm not interested about your dog stories either.

You can't tell me this cat's owners wouldn't have a good story to tell: link[/youtube]

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Dogs are the best, and always will be. Now there is only one Dog I've had so far, but I love dogs because they are always so happy to see their family. You have to work to train them, but if you don't like the idea of having to put in effort, then you shouldn't have a pet. I don't like cats, but I also am really allergic to them, and have bad experiences with them. They also just want to be to themselves, and if I have a pet, I want one that likes to have attention. Beyond that, it really depends on the person, and if you like one and dislike the other, or like or dislike both, that's fine. Thankfully I have never met extreme Dog or Cat lovers.

As for people being sad about their pet dying then getting another one, you do realize that getting another one is helping them cope, right? They were attached to their pet for X amount of time, and now that the pet is gone, they need to fill that void. Not only that, people have to move on with their lives, and people can't be sad for a long period of time for a pet dying compared to a human family member, because most people would find that stupid. It's much easier for a new pet to fill the old pet void then finding another person to fill the void of a human family member.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
the worst real life pet is a goldfish. 0 interaction, dumb as a brick and dies quickly.

the worst fantasy pet is a zombie. its sole goal is to kill you.

Also the dog propaganda is strong in this thread. I know dog propaganda is very popular right now but come on guys.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Hard to argue against fish. Expensive equipment, daily maintenance, lack of any cuddling, companionship or security features, all for something with a shorter life span than some RPGs I've played.

Of the two I'm a cat person, though in all instances it depends on the breed and the upbringing. Cats are generally cleaner until you get something with long hair. Then you can expect to lose regular time to maintenance, either to brush, or to clean up hairballs (which they don't make the effort to up in the box, hell one of mine made the effort to face away from the box to throw up.) Upbringing can give you an independent cat, or one always underfoot looking for attention. Cats can be decent pest control, but love to bring home the catch (my Mom's cat was very disgruntled it couldn't keep the gopher it caught and brought home alive.) And yeah, never dismiss the might of the housecat. My Moms has beaten up a local dog that has 60 pounds on her, and she was de-clawed.

Dogs, aside from a smell I never got acclimated to, have the daily routine, groomings, and other fuss, but to me the deal breaker is in the noise. We all know this one, either we own a dog and dread someone walking down the street for fear it'll set the dog off, or we're the one on the street that jumps at a sudden loud bark on the other side of a fence you dare to walk by. Dogs are the master of stranger danger, and let the whole neighborhood know. Cats can be, well, chicken, but at least they just run, or hiss, or maybe bite. They don't waken everyone in earshot.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Chris' reasons for disliking dogs can be summed up as "I'm too lazy to put the work into making my dog a certified badass guard".

Say what you will, but cats cannot be tamed as well. You train a dog, and it will listen to your every command. You train a cat and it will not work, it will just go off and do it's own thing.

And hey, at least there's companionship with a dog. Some people can become overly-attached, but at least you'll have some funny stories to tell about how a dog wrecked your place or how it shagged every other dog in the neighbourhood. Cat owners don't say much about cats because there are no stories, of any kind.

"Uhh... my cat ate food that one time. That's about it"

Dogs ftw.
ecoho said:
just want to point out a few things to the dog hating person with no soul.....:

1.dogs only kill people when one of two things are done;
A. the person was stupid and pissed said dog off by pulling on its tail or otherwise hurting it. I do not weep for these people as less stupid people in the world is always a good thing.
B. it was train to attack anyone not its owner. This is the most common reason for dog related deaths.

2.a cat can and will kill small children for FOOD! they are know as ferial cats and are dangerous like you wouldn't believe.

3.dog waste is easily managed with weekly yard work if you have a brain and built a dog run. If you live in a city and have no yard you should have one of the smaller breeds that are much easier to clean up after.

4. as long as you play with your dog at some point they don't care when you get home if they're trained. My dog is trained to sleep when im not home so if I work a 12hour shift and come home all I have to do is let him out and walk around with him while he runs and plays.

Just so you all know I do own a cat as well and she's not nearly as useful as my dog.
Loki_The_Good said:
Just to add to point 2 cats - regular house cats - are also known for smothering babies by lying on top of their heads because its war and also probably because they are evil. So I think cats are by far worse.

On a personal note my mom feeds a couple chipmunks in her yard and always has to chase away neighborhood cats. Their is one particularly adorable chipmunk that hops everywhere in the yard so with such force he almost does a back flip. It even comes and sits in your hand to eat almonds without a second thought. It also has a giant scar on his face from a cat attack and recently I haven't seen it around and if I catch the feline responsible ..... That chipmunk was adorable :(
Spearmaster said:
Dogs actually have a measurable utility but it depends on the breed and mostly on the owner working with and training the dog. Cats on the other hand will catch small rodents...if and when they feel like and usually will go for killing natural wildlife rather than problem pests. Ever woke up to find a litter of dead rabbits on you porch and still have a mouse problem? I have. Cats are lame.

so what's it like being in the pocket of BIG DOG? they pay you well enough to sell the people out? enough to sleep at night?

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Blood Brain Barrier said:
ecoho said:
This is why I prefer cats as pets. Why should pets have a "use"? I consider that demeaning to the animal. Let it live on its own terms, without training its instincts out of it, without its existence being solely to serve me. It seems like a lot of dog owners don't actually like dogs, as they are constantly telling it what to do and bossing it around. They want a machine to respond to their whims, not an animal conducting itself as it would do in nature. If the benefits are mutual then that's fine, but a lot of dogs seem miserable to me especially ones living in cities.

At the very least, I think pets should have the opportunity to escape if they wish. Cats have that opportunity, as long as they are allowed outside. Dogs don't. A pet should not be a prisoner.

Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Cat owners don't say much about cats because there are no stories, of any kind.
Yeah, that's bullshit. Our family has a ton of entertaining stories from almost 20 years with our now deceased cat. Not that you would be interested in them, but I'm not interested about your dog stories either.

You can't tell me this cat's owners wouldn't have a good story to tell: link[/youtube]

the words "not sure if serious or just trolling?" come to mind. seriously though my dog doesn't need a use as he's my best friend and that's enough the fact that I can rely on him to protect my house and me is a plus.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Down side to cats: Their pee.
Down side to dogs: everything but their pee

Up side to cats: everything but their pee
Up side to dogs: If a dog does pee on your shit, the smell will wash out...

Yeah I think we have a clear winner.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Vigormortis said:
I'll put it this way:
Cats care about the person they're living with. They're territorial more than they are pack-oriented.
Dogs care about the people they're living with. They're more pack-oriented than territorial.

As such, if your intention in having a pet is companionship, the better choice is undeniably clear.

That said....Kyle's right. Fish suck, as far as pet companionship goes.
Fixed it for you, not sure why such misinformation persists to this day. While dogs are pack animals and bond with a group welcoming everyone in the home, cats are more personal and can bond with they like best/takes care of them. I guess the opinion exists because in a larger family home setting with multiple humans there may not be a specific person that gives enough of the right attention to the cat to bond with, so they just remain aloof. But there wouldn't be as many cat lovers as there is if they simply cared about the 'place they're living in' with no thought to the people.

Just because you people have never had a cat actually like you doesn't mean they're impersonal or aren't loyal. A dog will love anyone and everyone, but with a cat you have to earn it.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I've grown up with rabbits, cows, sheep, pigs, hamsters, dogs, cats, horses, hens, and all sorts of country animals.
All of them require maintenance to some degree. Except cats. Cats maintain themselves.
If you set your mind to it, you can train all animals, except cats. They are more hit and miss. It depends on what they want.

RANT
Now, I don't hate or dislike any animal, even though I've been attacked, bitten, trod on or generally mauled in any way possible to an animal.
They are, after all, animals. As simple and neutral as that.
They have their charm.

Come to think of it, most of those I've listed are pack/herd/flock animals...except cats.
Easier to control such a mentality I would assume.
/RANT

That must be why I prefer cats. More independent, live and let live. you give and take.