No Season Pass For Titanfall 2 - All Post Launch Maps Free

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No Season Pass For Titanfall 2 - All Post Launch Maps Free

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1358/1358516.jpg
Titanfall 2 is bucking the trend by not having a "season pass", and releasing post-launch content for free.

"Remember when buying a game got you everything?" asks the official "season pass," [https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/status/791350317099212801?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw] that promises additional content later on down the line. For multiplayer shooters, this can be pretty problematic, as season passes fracture the community between those who shelled out for the new maps, and those who didn't. Thankfully, Titanfall 2 won't be like that, and will have all post-launch maps, and the majority of other post-launch content, completely free to all players.

"All maps & modes will be free in Titanfall 2 Multiplayer," said the developer in a blog post [https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/titanfall-2-is-a-different-shooter/]. "This means once you've purchased Titanfall 2, your investment includes a full single player campaign, the full multiplayer maps and modes, and long-term support with no hidden costs."

The first "free" new map will be a remastering of the original Titanfall's Angel City, and will be released some time in the near future.

[gallery=6592]

The confirmation from cosmetic microtransactions [https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/status/791350317099212801?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw].

Source: Respawn Entertainment [https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/titanfall-2-is-a-different-shooter/]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I hate that I still feel the need to be cynical. They have been doing basically everything right with Titanfall 2. Using the beta as a beta, taking player feedback and actually listening to it, this...

I want to believe.

Microtransactions still need to die, but baby steps I suppose.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
It's still an EA game, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Nice to see Blizzard's Overwatch forces other companies to adapt their business models.

Apr 5, 2008
I hesitate to say "Good for them" for simply doing the right thing. It's an odd situation where simply doing the right thing by your customers is so extraordinary that it is worthy of both comment and in fact, a news article. It's sad that doing the wrong thing is par for the course and has since been accepted as such by customers.

Truthfully, selling map packs is IMO one of the worst DLC practices a developer can perpetrate. After on-disc DLC and Day 1 DLC, I'd put it up there as a cardinal bloody sin. Here's what it does...it divides the community. You have a 16 player lobby doing map rotations only 4 of those players don't own the DLC. Do they get kicked? Do DLC maps not get played?

Payday 2 sells many heists, but players who don't own them can still play them with hosts who do. Granted they don't get access to other bundled items but at least the maps are playable. Having maps that part of the community can play and that another part cannot is a catastrophic situation to find one's game in. Selling map packs that divide the community is downright dirty practise so kudos for Titanfall 2 not doing it. It is sad to have to offer praise for simply doing the correct thing but, games industry *say no more*.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Naqel said:
Nice to see Blizzard's Overwatch forces other companies to adapt their business models.
I expect the rapid fracturing then fall off of Titanfall's player base has as much to do with this as Overwatch. Even with it's higher than average price I don't think EA made as much money off DLC as it expected with Titanfall. This time around they're clearly playing a longer game and aiming to get and keep players rather than trying to demand enormous amounts of cash up front. Paid for cosmetics generate more money anyway, just look at TF2 and Warframe.

Good news is still good news though, plus I'm an hour into the campaign this evening and so far, quite impressed.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
There's gotta be some DLC of some kind coming out at some point...skins? Cosmetics? Alternate HUDs? Voice taunts/victory poses? I'm not sure...

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
The confirmation from Twitter that the game won't have a season pass confirms that all of the stuff that effects gameplay will be free for everyone
Oh wow, an EA published title without shitty monetary practices?
though Respawn has admitted that the game will contain cosmetic microtransactions.
...well, I guess it's a start.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Naqel said:
While Overwatch is the most popular, lots of other games did the "free DLC for microtransactions" thing first.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Now just have it come out on steam without the ea origins bs and we may have a deal.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
ShakerSilver said:
The confirmation from Twitter that the game won't have a season pass confirms that all of the stuff that effects gameplay will be free for everyone
Oh wow, an EA published title without shitty monetary practices?
though Respawn has admitted that the game will contain cosmetic microtransactions.
...well, I guess it's a start.
Eh, cosmetics aren't a shitty practice. Annoying, maybe, but to call it shitty is rather petty.

OT: Credit where it's due, I'm glad this is a thing. Halo 5[footnote]'s microtransactions and req system are shitty but dlc is still free and is the first AAA game in god knows how long to do that.[/footnote] and Overwatch seem to have started a new market trend. Hopefully. Possibly. Crossing my fingers.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
No micro-transactions in Battlefield 1 and now no season pass with all post launch maps free? Is EA feeling well?

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
While Overwatch is the most popular, lots of other games did the "free DLC for microtransactions" thing first.
There were other free engines before Unity, but it wasn't until Unity went free, that Unreal went free as well.

Let's not lie to ourselves, as much as it wasn't the only reason they went maps-free, it was probably the main reason they decided to give it a go.
EA execs are apes. Apes can't ape if there's nobody to ape from. There had to be someone else in the same league doing the "maps are free" thing, before EA would try to do it too.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
It's a positive step for sure, that it comes from EA is amazing...i can't help but keep thinking "Where's the catch?"

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Saelune said:
I hate that I still feel the need to be cynical. They have been doing basically everything right with Titanfall 2. Using the beta as a beta, taking player feedback and actually listening to it, this...

I want to believe.

Microtransactions still need to die, but baby steps I suppose.
yeah, it's weird. it's almost as if EA isn't plotting to eat our babies this time.

somehow that makes me more worried, like if bowser took a vacation and the mushroom kingdom hosts several consecutive events without anything happening at all

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Nooners said:
There's gotta be some DLC of some kind coming out at some point...skins? Cosmetics? Alternate HUDs? Voice taunts/victory poses? I'm not sure...
mind the fine print:
"will have [...] the majority of other post-launch content, completely free to all players"

so they will be coming after ya', somehow.

But for now they have my good will.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Funny how its changed to be praiseworthy when developers, or more to the point publishers, support a title after launch with free content, when its to the developers advantage they keep titles relevant.
I mean the community used to be able to supply more content, and thus keep a mostly MP based title relevant long after release, ensuring a readily accessible player base for that IP and its developer, but with the community mostly sidelined content wise it behoves the developer to keep the title relevant themselves.
Gamers just got used to paying for that additional content, and we still do in 'micro transactions'.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The more I read about this, the most I get excited for a game that I can't even play on my PC. And by the time I upgrade the online community will probably be almost dead. Yet I'm just incapable of playing shooter with a gamepad. Dammit.

They seem to have learned a lot from the first game, which is pretty unusual in this day and age and I welcome it. I hope I get the money to upgrade my ancient PC soon and the game doesn't do some 180 quick move. Please be good. EA please don't fuck this up.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Xpwn3ntial said:
Eh, cosmetics aren't a shitty practice. Annoying, maybe, but to call it shitty is rather petty.
Locking content behind microtransactions in a retail priced game is a shitty practice, regardless of the effect of said content. This isn't even touching on the freemium-styled slot-machine shit that Overwatch has going for its cosmetics, a manipulative practice that has no place outside of a F2P game.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im having an intense suspicsion that EA is only doing this so people cant buy a bundle at an overall cut price cut.

That or theyre biulding up some positive PR to head off further losses when they inevitably have to talk about Bioware or Visceral.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Well this takes Titanfall 2 from "maybe" to "almost certainly". I'm not really fond of how a portion of the net has been reacting though. On one hand I get it, EA has made their bed doing stupid shit and it's inevitable that people are going to by cynical, but on the other hand why should they bother improving if people are just going react the same way no matter what.