No Season Pass For Titanfall 2 - All Post Launch Maps Free

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Naqel said:
Bob_McMillan said:
While Overwatch is the most popular, lots of other games did the "free DLC for microtransactions" thing first.
There were other free engines before Unity, but it wasn't until Unity went free, that Unreal went free as well.

Let's not lie to ourselves, as much as it wasn't the only reason they went maps-free, it was probably the main reason they decided to give it a go.
EA execs are apes. Apes can't ape if there's nobody to ape from. There had to be someone else in the same league doing the "maps are free" thing, before EA would try to do it too.
The big one here is GTA V, not Overwatch.

We could even go with TF2 and forget GTA V.

ShakerSilver said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
Eh, cosmetics aren't a shitty practice. Annoying, maybe, but to call it shitty is rather petty.
Locking content behind microtransactions in a retail priced game is a shitty practice, regardless of the effect of said content. This isn't even touching on the freemium-styled slot-machine shit that Overwatch has going for its cosmetics, a manipulative practice that has no place outside of a F2P game.
I wish games could ship with everything but now the adapted style is to make the game worth the price in the most important stuff (maps, characters, weapons, etc) and add more to that important stuff for free over time while the less important stuff is sold seperatly from the start.

In the end its a lot better then what it was where you would get some important and less important stuff for free and some other important and less imported by paying over time.

Having to pay for maps is terrible since it seperates the community. And there are plenty of games that even with a good amount of content from the start have benefited well from getting even more more free.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
josemlopes said:
I wish games could ship with everything but now the adapted style is to make the game worth the price in the most important stuff (maps, characters, weapons, etc) and add more to that important stuff for free over time while the less important stuff is sold seperatly from the start.

In the end its a lot better then what it was where you would get some important and less important stuff for free and some other important and less imported by paying over time.
When you start differentiating the content and features based on what is more/less important (not an entirely objective measure) you give game makers an excuse to nickle-and-dime you. "Oh it's okay to use money-grubbing tactics regarding the content I don't particularly care for, because it would be worse for them to do it with content I do care about."

"It could be worse" is not a good excuse for bad practices. If you're okay with it happening to one type of content then you can't really blame them for when they do it to other types of content - from their feedback, they see the practice as acceptable. You can make retail-priced multiplayer-focused games while not treating your customers like ATMs - see Splatoon: though it's launch was somewhat sparse it received frequent free content updates months down the line and is now more than worth the asking price - and it didn't need to lock extra content behind RNG crates and charged you to make the random grind faster if you're lucky enough.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Mmmm... May need to make this a permanent purchase from Gamefly rather than just a rental.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Quellist said:
major_chaos said:
gigastar said:
weirdee said:
Naqel said:

Respawn Entertainment isn't a wholly owned subsidiary of EA. As a result they are not beholden to EA's content delivery and pricing models.

In fact, as far as I'm aware, the only stipulation for publishing was that Respawn use Origin for the PC build. Otherwise, everything else is Respawn's call. So I wouldn't be too quick to give EA credit on this one...

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
BloodRed Pixel said:
Nooners said:
There's gotta be some DLC of some kind coming out at some point...skins? Cosmetics? Alternate HUDs? Voice taunts/victory poses? I'm not sure...
mind the fine print:
"will have [...] the majority of other post-launch content, completely free to all players"

so they will be coming after ya', somehow.

But for now they have my good will.
Yeah but they also said : " all of the stuff that effects gameplay will be free for everyone".

As long as it doesn't affect the gameplay thats all that matters right?