No UMD Transfer for the Vita

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Um, ok... I cannot fathom what would justify this as a logical business decision so as of nao I am all ears.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
And this boys and girls is what people mean when they say piracy is a service related problem. You can bet when this thing gets cracked to hell and back (and that day isn't far off) the pirates will be able to transfer their UMDs over to their PS Vitas and for the low low cost of FREE.

Sony has the opportunity to get a leg up on the eventual Vita pirates by offering this service as a nice thing for loyal customers. Instead it will likely now be someone on the homebrew scene or some other such person that ends up putting out an app to do the UMD transfer.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Huh. So there goes a chance of this psp vita hitting the ground running. Look. I kinda understand that UMD thing wasn't a good idea in hindsight but lets face it. You're already in the mire with that particular piece of software. You might as well make it work for you. This could be the psp go all over again.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
It sucks but honestly... The west won't care. Despite what many think, The PSP IS DEAD in the west. It never sold well here, so this probably will have little effect on sales. Plus, I understand the want to have the ability to play old games, but if you didn't have a PSP (which most likely sales will be full of) then this will have little to no effect.

Would I want this UMD system? Hell yes.

Will it effect sales heavily? No.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Sony, once again proving their two generations of dominance in the market was sheer, unadulterated LUCK.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Korten12 said:
It sucks but honestly... The west won't care. Despite what many think, The PSP IS DEAD in the west. It never sold well here, so this probably will have little effect on sales. Plus, I understand the want to have the ability to play old games, but if you didn't have a PSP (which most likely sales will be full of) then this will have little to no effect.

My PSP broke and I was hoping to upgrade, but sony is handling this about as bad as the psn hack. There is no reason to change policy like this, it just makes customers angry. And if no one buys the system, no games will be made for it and your stuck with a useless hunk of plastic. I don't want that. More then how many people it affects, its just bad PR in general.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Korten12 said:

That's what I was thinking, I don't know many people that have a PSP, i.e. only one other person, so I don't think it's going to hurt Sony that much in the long run. Yeah it sucks for the people that want to transfer over to the Vita, but really, if you already own the PSP, why would you want to get ride of it when you know for a fact that you can still use it to play games?

Still plan on getting the Vita though, even though this news kinda blows.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
This is what's known in the industry as a dick move, although judging by Sony's recent fiscal performances, they need all the dough from slapped together remakes they can get.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
On the other hand, the PS3 has gone on to become a success despite the lack of backwards compatibility in later models.
The problem is that Sony has opposition with the Vita it doesn't have with the PS3. Android/iOS. Yes, the Vita vs. 3DS is kinda like 360 vs. PS3. But the PS3 vs. Wii is nothing like Vita vs. Android/iOS.

Wii games were mostly full priced, low on content, and generic shoverware that many of the targeted casual market didn't care about. Android and the iOS though... many people who would buy the Vita already have a smart phone or iTouch. The market for those games might have a lot of shovelware, but has just as many great games.

Plus, using your smartphone for gaming is easy. You almost always carry your phone with you. You have to choose to carry around a portable system, and that can be annoying depending on where you're going and what you're doing. Not to mention you might not use it at all so it ends up being a waste. So that's another point for the opposition.

Finally, there's just how many games there are for the smartphone market and how cheap they are compared to full portable console releases. You can get 1 $50 game that you may or may not like, or buy up to 50 $1 games, most of which have a ad-supported version to play first to see if you like it. And you can just download them to your phone in a minute.

Just because the PS3 sold well doesn't neccessarily mean this will. The new market that's opened up, as well as being the second console out, will likely hurt them quite a bit. While they likely will make a profit in the long run, I doubt they're going to explode on release. And Sony seems intent to keep digging their graves deeper and deeper.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Korten12 said:

That's what I was thinking, I don't know many people that have a PSP, i.e. only one other person, so I don't think it's going to hurt Sony that much in the long run. Yeah it sucks for the people that want to transfer over to the Vita, but really, if you already own the PSP, why would you want to get ride of it when you know for a fact that you can still use it to play games?

Plus, isn't the whole main point of buying a vita is to, you know, play Vita games?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Korten12 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Korten12 said:

Plus, isn't the whole main point of buying a vita is to, you know, play Vita games?
I was under the same impression, but apparently not. Silly us.

It's probably the reason I still have my N64 around, to play games on the N64 because I can't play them anywhere else.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I still want the PSP2 (vita is a crap name) however I'll be keeping my PSP close. Even if they had some transfer plan because seriously that's just dumb.

ila

Jul 29, 2008
I still can't believe how self-entitled certain gamers feel. When I bought a UMD I wasn't thinking to myself "oh boy I sure hope this works on every Sony system ever." It' just like a license. When I bought say, God Eater Burst on UMD, I was buying just that. The game on UMD. At no point was anyone obligated to make sure I can download a digital version of the game for use on a new upcoming system.

And for the record, this whole "transfer" system only covered games that already had PSN releases. It didn't cover every UMD, in fact it covered a very limited amount. Hardly "crippling."

Full disclosure here: yes I have the Vita preordered, and I also own a 3DS. I don't care to see any company "fail" or the like. I'd rather that gaming continues to get better. I really don't think the recent trend of negative journalism is helping the case at all.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Well, that's one more game system I won't be buying. *returns to saving up for a 3DS so I can play Kingdom Hearts 3D.*

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
If you ask me, Sony's really digging their graves with PSVita. For the record, Sony also love to neuter backward compatibly between their newer systems if not impair it.

Ah well, sorry but looks like its better to just bring the PSV to the backyard and euthanize it.

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
Korten12 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Korten12 said:

Ah, but here is the thing. It discourages people to upgrade their PSP to a Vita. Why should they upgrade if the Vita can't play any of their PSP games?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Backwards compatibility, I think, is only ever a problem at the early stages of a console cycle. It's not just the PS3; once they'd got better games, people stopped caring about the backwards compatibility of PS1, the DS, etc etc? as the current-gen console cycle gains a more significant library of games, the older generation becomes more and more irrelevant, as the games tend to be smaller, with less graphics and gameplay opportunities. This is particularly apparent with PSP games, considering how many of its titles were effectively crippled by only having a single analogue pad.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
ahh yes the we want money approach to marketing. So the way you decide its best to make this appeal to western gamers is ... cutting services which are available somewhere else without any other reason, bar we want more moneys, at least try to dress it up dang it.

Good work Sony.