No UMD Transfer for the Vita

obstructor

Mar 15, 2011
Is this guy anti Sony/vita or what. Three articles about how the vita is terrible in a month and a half. I mean it hasn't impressed me but I am not going to write tiny little articles that don't say anything. Well I guess it does say "I think this thing sucks."

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I think the PSV is an awesome piece of hardware just from the standpoint of its capabilites with HD graphics, touch screen, touch pad, and dual sticks, but Sony is totally fucking it up.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
FoolKiller said:
Skopintsev said:
Also, can we please refrain from calling the Vita a 'failure'? Give the platform some time for christ sakes, the PSP didn't do well at the start either and its at what now? 70+ million?
Yea... once the price dropped to a reasonable amount and people figured out how to crack it.

And if you are talking about a launch, may I remind you of the first 8 months of 3DS sold about 6.5 million units. So far, the Vita has not even come close. The Vita launch is a failure. Whether they make it up will depend on how quickly they learn to follow the 3DS and drop the price to a reasonable price.
I wasn't comparing the launch of the Vita vs the 3DS. Where in my post do I even reference the 3DS? My point is that people called the PSP a failure at it's launch, and still to this day uninformed people still believe it is (see; those that have said in this very thread "The PSP is dead!"). I get that the Vita hasn't sold even a million units as of yet, yeah, it's off to a painfully slow start. But a platform needs more time than what it has been given for some to start digging it's grave. It's not even out of Japan yet! Also, it doesn't have Monster Hunter yet. You wanna see Vita sales skyrocket 5 million alone in Japan? Release Monster Hunter.

Give it a year people.

Jan 22, 2011
hackers/modders you have my full support to make the device run iso's now. I have all of my games backed as is, so when it does happen I will buy one.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Wow...

That just killed the Vita right there. Screw them, If I EVER get one, I'm modding the shit out of it to run UMD ISO's. I'll just download ISO's of the games I've got if they're going to be total dykes about this.

deidara

Nov 23, 2011
That passport system is a joke too though, I couldn't see myself using it. So it's really not missing much.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
It feels like people are complaining that they can not play NES games on their SNES.
THANK YOU. People just love getting mad these days at the most minuscule crap.
Yea, its minuscule, at first....

But when you want to like this company, when you want to build your interest in the new product they provide... Well, shit snowballs.

The solution to everyone's griping is very simple (keep your psp+umd collection), but does that make it a good one?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Ipsen said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
It feels like people are complaining that they can not play NES games on their SNES.

But when you want to like this company, when you want to build your interest in the new product they provide... Well, shit snowballs.

The solution to everyone's griping is very simple (keep your psp+umd collection), but does that make it a good one?
To be honest, yes it does. The Vita costs $300 already. A UMD transfer device would either be put into the Vita, which would up the price of it, or be a peripheral that came at extra cost. It's ultimately just cheaper to keep the damn PSP and UMDs. No one cried when the later versions of the DS got rid of GBA slots, why cry on the internet about this?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Is there ever any good news about the Vita?
I'm starting to think that it's pretty much designed to be a tax write off or something because every bit of news makes me think Sony really wants it to fail epically.
SupahGamuh said:
I think it was the right decision to skip this generation's handhelds entirely. I think I'll be seeking greener pastures in cellphones.
That's the thing, anyone who would want a Vita probably already has their hands full with their phone. I have enough to do on my phone to get me through any commute or travel...and I hardly ever play games on it but when I do feel like that, I have a few of those popcap titles and an emulator for nostalgia; playing Soul Blazer again for the first time in like 15 years.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
The only thing that amazes me more than Sonys bad marketing and stupidity, is the tenaciousness of the Sony fanbois posting here. Go ahead, buy it and ignore the mistakes Sony has made, but you'll be jumping aboard a ship thats sinking before its even been launched.

Jan 22, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Ipsen said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
kiri2tsubasa said:

To be honest, yes it does. The Vita costs $300 already. A UMD transfer device would either be put into the Vita, which would up the price of it, or be a peripheral that came at extra cost. It's ultimately just cheaper to keep the damn PSP and UMDs. No one cried when the later versions of the DS got rid of GBA slots, why cry on the internet about this?
Actually I personally did, that was a total waste not to mention the dsi being the first handheld to have region locking. Game companies are basically forcing to re-buy something you already own which I do not do support, why re-buy a game a 30 dollars that you already payed for once at the same price??

Sony of America, Nintendo of America can go choke on it for all I care personally, I will just wait until modders allow the vita to run Iso's "which I have backed up legally myself using the umd ripper free-ware"

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Hahaha, You mean portable gaming is getting worse as companies take more control and options away from customers to force purchases of new items? STOP THE PRESSES

Oh my, ha, and people still defend the corporate suits

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Quiotu said:
Okay, hang on here... who exactly should I be pissed at
here?

Best they can do right now is stop wasting time and money on the program, and lower the cost of DD PSP games as much as possible. Perhaps if the cost is lowered enough, the price of buying it again will be moot compared to what the cost of transfer would be anyway. Truthfully there is no solution, and Sony knows it... the publishers made the program a failure, and they're just cutting their losses.
Can we ***** at The Escapist for not sharing this bit of information with us in the very artice this thread relates to? If what you are saying is true it's Need To Know Information. Actually I suppose we could still be mad at Sony for not telling us this; there's a big difference between 'we aren't supporting UMD transfers because we are trying to maximize our profits at customer's expence', which is what people (including myself) assume, and 'because not enough publishers supported it', which takes some of the heat off of them.

Not doing so still makes them seem rather aloof.

jakeblues69

Nov 30, 2011
I love my PSP and the games I have for it. I wasn't planning on buying a Vita anytime soon anyway. Maybe Sony will change it's policy in a year or three, or maybe I'll buy another PSP on the cheap.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Brandon Cecil said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Ipsen said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
kiri2tsubasa said:

Actually I personally did, that was a total waste not to mention the dsi being the first handheld to have region locking. Game companies are basically forcing to re-buy something you already own which I do not do support, why re-buy a game a 30 dollars that you already payed for once at the same price??

Sony of America, Nintendo of America can go choke on it for all I care personally, I will just wait until modders allow the vita to run Iso's "which I have backed up legally myself using the umd ripper free-ware"
See that's the thing, they're not forcing you to buy a damn thing. If you have a PSP, play PSP games on that. Problem Solved. No spending $300 on a system you hate for a feature that isn't essential. You don't have to re-buy any games. Just play them on the compatible console.

It's very easy to get mad at a corporation for doing what corporations do best, trying to make money. But when you can quite clearly bypass their attempt to get money for something you own, why waste time whining about it? It's not like Sony is sending the PSP Ninjas to your homes and snatching PSPs in order to get that sale off you. It's more for people who didn't have PSPs and want to try some older games for a cheap price. That's how I see it anyways. It's getting kind of pitiful that people see a feature like this and automatically assume that they're forced to spend money on things they own. Honestly just keep you PSP 1000-3000s and play the games on that.

It really boils down to this, people want their games on their Vita for free even thought they can play the games on the PSP that they own perfectly fine. Have people really gotten to a point where we've gotten too lazy to simply own 2 handhelds?

Jan 22, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Brandon Cecil said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Ipsen said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
kiri2tsubasa said:

See that's the thing, they're not forcing you to buy a damn thing. If you have a PSP, play PSP games on that. Problem Solved. No spending $300 on a system you hate for a feature that isn't essential. You don't have to re-buy any games. Just play them on the compatible console.

It's very easy to get mad at a corporation for doing what corporations do best, trying to make money. But when you can quite clearly bypass their attempt to get money for something you own, why waste time whining about it? It's not like Sony is sending the PSP Ninjas to your homes and snatching PSPs in order to get that sale off you. It's more for people who didn't have PSPs and want to try some older games for a cheap price. That's how I see it anyways. It's getting kind of pitiful that people see a feature like this and automatically assume that they're forced to spend money on things they own. Honestly just keep you PSP 1000-3000s and play the games on that.

It really boils down to this, people want their games on their Vita for free even thought they can play the games on the PSP that they own perfectly fine. Have people really gotten to a point where we've gotten too lazy to simply own 2 handhelds?
That's what I plan on doing myself however to answer your question. Yes It's getting to a point in our society where the average consumer wants their tech devices to do everything instead of having of lugging around 2 or 3 devices at the same time. People want convince access to all of their games/music/movies, easy portability, this is where the market is headed and nothing is going to stop that. I am still personally mad that the ps3 no longer has ps2 support so I bought an older model instead however that will only last so long and once it's gone well.. it's gone.