Nolan Calls Marvel-Bashing Quote "Inaccurate" - Update

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Nolan Calls Marvel-Bashing Quote "Inaccurate" - Update

Did the Dark Knight director take a cheap shot at the competition while promoting Interstellar?

Update: BuzzFeed News is reporting [http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/christopher-nolan-denies-marvel-studios-dig] that a quote attributed to him in a Guardian profile about the Marvel Studios superhero productions not being "real films" because of their post-credits codas does not reflect his real views on the subject: "The quote is inaccurate," the Interstellar filmmaker reportedly told BuzzFeed, after clarifying that "I would never say someone else's film isn't 'a real film.'"

Elsewhere, Badass Digest (one of the many sites along with this one to run stories based on the quote) points out [http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/05/christopher-nolan-the-quote-is-inaccurate/] that the Guardian quote is actually an out of context second-hand account of Nolan's words on the matter from Zack Snyder.

Original Story: Christopher Nolan may have left the superhero movie scene behind (he's not listed as a producer of any further DC Comics properties after distinguised competition. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7521-Man-of-Steel]

In a lengthy Man of Steel. [http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/04/-sp-christopher-nolan-interstellar-rebooted-blockbuster] According to Nolan, his response was:

"A real movie wouldn't do that."

Ever since the original Iron Man ended with a "secret" scene wherein Nick Fury goofing around [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1604-Avengers-Assemble] have been a staple of the Marvel Cinematic Universe; while Nolan's superhero adaptations (encompassing the Dark Knight Trilogy and the first Man of Steel) were frequently positioned as a "dark and gritty" alternative in the fandom press.

At this time, there has been no indication as to whether Nolan's particular distaste for such scenes will continue to carry over into the post-Man of Steel DC Universe films, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138059-DC-Announces-Wonder-Woman-Green-Lantern-6-Other-Films-Through-2020] including Zack Snyder's Dawn of Justice and Justice League features which take place directly after the Superman reboot.

Sources: The Guardian [http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/christopher-nolan-denies-marvel-studios-dig]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Eh the title of this article is a bit misleading, he didn't specify Marvel Films but rather the scene/clip idea which other film companies do as well now a days, and to be honest while I like those clips I can't be against Nolan having a different opinion.

Then again I don't find comic movies as anything special (their often good movies don't get me wrong just not special) so I wouldn't care if he was targeting comic movies specifically.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I like Marvel's movies better than the ones Nolan did. I'm sorry, but his were just too dark and depressing for my tastes. Having those little stingers at the end are always something I look forward to because a lot of the times, they're the best part of the movie. Or at least the best joke.

I supposed the first Batman movie had it's own version of this when the Joker's card was revealed at the end of the movie...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Seeing as these movies are often just advertisements for each other (particularly the first Captain America and Iron Man 2), and seeing as these post-credits bumps are always just ads for future Marvel movies, I can definitely see where he's coming from.

On the other hand, his involvement in Man of Steel makes it difficult to take anything he says about superhero movies seriously.

P.S. Thanks

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Didn't Batman Begins end with Commissioner Gordon finding a mysterious calling card of a new criminal? The joker from a standard deck of cards?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Covarr said:
and seeing as these post-credits bumps are always just ads for future Marvel movies
Indeed, I'm still looking forward to Marvel's little known hero Shawarma Man to make his theatrical debut! :p

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Bedinsis said:
Didn't Batman Begins end with Commissioner Gordon finding a mysterious calling card of a new criminal? The joker from a standard deck of cards?
End of the movie though, not end of credits, plus that actually happened in Batman: Year One

OT: Yeah get over yourself Nolan, just because you made some crime movies that you decided to call Batman, two of which were a bit shakey at best, and a shaky Superman movie, I don't think you can really decide what constitues a "real" movie.

Sniper Team 4 said:
I like Marvel's movies better than the ones Nolan did. I'm sorry, but his were just too dark and depressing for my tastes. Having those little stingers at the end are always something I look forward to because a lot of the times, they're the best part of the movie. Or at least the best joke.

I supposed the first Batman movie had it's own version of this when the Joker's card was revealed at the end of the movie...
Ugh, tell me about, I like dark and gritty, but Noalns movies are so dark and depressing even the sodding Joker can't crack a joke.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
I feel like you're extrapolating a lot here. But any excuse to go after a guy who's films you don't like, right?

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I find it weird how so many people want to discredit something by not saying it real. Why can't you just say Ï don't like this"instead of Ï don't like this so its not a 'real' thing".

Seems pointless and factually incorrect.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Hey Nolan, "Why so serious?"

The doesn't bode well for the DC 'true movies'.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
SHOTS FIRED!
OH SNAP!
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!
BURN!

Yeah, lets not take this over proportion please

EssThree

Oct 6, 2013
I dig the hell out of Nolan's films to the point of bordering on fanboy territory. But man, that was really a childish thing to say.

Some books have teasers for the next entry in their series at the end, does that make them not real books?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
He didn't mean that in the literal sense. You have to understand that some of these directors can be really eccentric. Nolan has his own ideas about what shouldn't go in a movie. Tarantino is the same way. I think he just meant that post-credit scenes are dumb. And I tend to agree.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I think Bettridge's law of headlines applies to this one.

If someone asks me when I'm cooking dinner to make spaghetti carbonara with cream and I say 'Real spaghetti carbonara is not made with cream', that is not in any way equivalent to making a public statement that takes a swipe at anyone who does make it with cream.

senkus

Apr 3, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
He didn't mean that in the literal sense. You have to understand that some of these directors can be really eccentric. Nolan has his own ideas about what shouldn't go in a movie. Tarantino is the same way. I think he just meant that post-credit scenes are dumb.
This exactly. I can't wrap my head around why MovieBob would make this a story... except that he is now in the clickbait* business.

*I mean the bad type, if you were going to link me to this No Right Discussion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/no-right-answer/9704].

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
To that, I would tell Nolan that a Batman movie wouldn't involve Batman quitting being Batman under any circumstance. I don't see Batman taking the time out to draw his insignia on a wall in lighter-fluid when he could be using that same time to save the city. Otherwise, his opinion is his own and I don't really care.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
No, no he didn't; the producers the article mentioned said Marvel. Nolan just said that post-credits scenes like that are stupid. And he's right

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Why would he care if anyone stays through the end of the credits? His name is first. Speaking for myself and a lot of friends in the industry, I know these scenes as well as their many variations (blooper reels over the credits in a comedy movie etc.) started as a clever bonus for fans willing to sit through the credits. Nobody actually reads them, obviously, we all know that, but for the people that pour themselves into these films, on some levels as much as some of the more visible players, it's a huge sign of respect when people sit through the few seconds their name is on screen, even if its for superficial reasons.

Personal crusades aside, I think Nolan's opinion is fairly narrow minded and worded in a way that it was definitely supposed to sting someone. He could have just said that he doesn't like stingers, or that he doesn't feel like it would fit well in the movies he's trying to make. That's fine, that's an artistic decision I can respect, but he specifically chose to phrase it in a way that would hurt someone. Maybe Marvel, maybe not, but you don't just tell a story like that, in the way he did (assuming the reporting is totally accurate), without wanting someone to feel the hurt of your words. Kinda childish if you ask me.