Nolan Calls Marvel-Bashing Quote "Inaccurate" - Update

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This is a silly headline. Are you trying to get a rise out of Marvel fans?
I like both styles of superhero movie so it makes no difference. Any member of the creative industry has specific tastes and ideas. Surely this is some stirring of the fanboy shit pot, and i think we all know who has to lick the spoon this time...

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Aiddon said:
No, no he didn't; the producers the article mentioned said Marvel. Nolan just said that post-credits scenes like that are stupid. And he's right
Why? It doesn't take away from a movie it can be important for fun or just a reward for sticking around which people do after credits anyway.

You know what's also stupid? Tints. Why who cares doesn't need an answer.

That sentence isn't true but that's what the opinion of PCS being "stupid" amounts to. Some of the best movies have those scenes and to speak in such a general term for a director of his caliber is insulting.

I shcaky cam is stupid too but it can be used to great effect, same with this.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ticklefist said:
Marvel movies are just a manufactured product. The McDouble of the movie industry.
Well yeah, every movie is a manufactured product.
I don't see too many naturally occurring motion pictures. (though that'd be some surreal shit if they did)

Even so, Marvel's recent films are still far more palpable than the half-digested pigshit that was Man of Steel and Green Lantern. Good God, I can't believe I let myself get roped into watching that garbage.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
ticklefist said:
Marvel movies are just a manufactured product. The McDouble of the movie industry.
With that logic MOS is the is Fine Dinnig with toddlers, a pretentious mess.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
You know what this article title is missing? Something like a lot of "?????!!!!!!1111!!!". That would bait even more people to rage about DC movies and Nolan. Ugh.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Lethos said:
I feel like you're extrapolating a lot here. But any excuse to go after a guy who's films you don't like, right?
Of course he is. He has some personal vendetta against Nolan and isn't above using needlessly misleading headlines to get a rise out of Marvel fans.

If there's one thing the "clique" of this forum loves to hate just as much as #GamerGate, Steam, Call of Duty, and DC Movies, it's Christopher Nolan.

Nolan was asked about post-credit stingers; notably in the context of stingers designed to be ads for out-of-series films. And in that context, I partly agree with him. He probably could have worded his comment a bit better, but I understand what he was trying to say.

He by no means said Marvel's current crop of films aren't real films.

This is just low, Bob. You're better than this.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Covarr said:
Seeing as these movies are often just advertisements for each other (particularly the first Captain America and Iron Man 2), and seeing as these post-credits bumps are always just ads for future Marvel movies, I can definitely see where he's coming from.
We're getting another Howard the Duck movie? Oh, for the love of-

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
ticklefist said:
Well yeah, every movie is a manufactured product.
I don't see too many naturally occurring motion pictures. (though that'd be some surreal shit if they did)

Even so, Marvel's recent films are still far more palpable than the half-digested pigshit that was Man of Steel and Green Lantern. Good God, I can't believe I let myself get roped into watching that garbage.
V4Viewtiful said:
ticklefist said:
With that logic MOS is the is Fine Dinnig with toddlers, a pretentious mess.
Yeah I'm not really nuts about the DC movies either. I just think it's funny how we stopped caring that our dumb summer action movies were still in fact dumb summer action movies the moment they began featuring the cartoon characters of our youth.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
No. No, he fucking didn't, and you know he didn't.

Stop posting POS clickbait bullshit.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Vigormortis said:
He by no means said Marvel's current crop of films aren't real films.
\but the statement was general enough to hit the Marvel films with no actual explanation. It's to broad a statement to make of a film technique mostly used by (in a certain way) his competitors. And even if it wasn't maybe some other director should tell Nolan that films that uses filters like blue, orange and grey aren't films? It amounts to the same thing.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I admit maybe Bob's stretching things a bit but it's still an odd thing for Nolan to say, in fact I'd go as far as to say it was rather arrogant.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Real movies, for one, put their title cards before the movie, not after.
Why the hell does his opinion really matter? It's been obvious for years that Nolan, while not a bad filmmaker (I enjoyed Inception quite a lot) can't make a comic book movie even if his life depended on it. The fact that he had Goyer write scripts for his Batman movies and Man of Steel only serves to support this.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Being that the last Batman movie was shit, you wonder why he has the balls to insult other hero movies? Personally i wonder if he is trying to distant himself from them to look like he is a "proper serious" director.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
It'd be nice if they stopped trying so hard to make a wheel square and just leave the damn fiction mostly intact instead of trying to inflict their bad fan fiction on us all....

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
ticklefist said:
Boom, roasted. And pretty much accurate.

OP: Bob, stop reading into that too much; it doesn't really matter. Nolan isn't the type of person who buys tickets for the MCU films*, and this isn't half as scathing as what people like Confused Matthew [http://confusedmatthew.com/matthews-marvel-madness.html] have (rightly) said about the enterprise. I would stop generating clickbait, but it feels sort of hollow since I did indeed click on it and am writing this comment. Whatever, keep on doing what you do I guess.

tl;dr: Just because Christopher Nolan made good superhero movies and doesn't care for bland ones doesn't mean you have to freak the fuck out.

*- The Michael Bay Audience[sup]TM[/sup] is. (Oh snap!)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
V4Viewtiful said:
\but the statement was general enough to hit the Marvel films with no actual explanation. It's to broad a statement to make of a film technique mostly used by (in a certain way) his competitors. And even if it wasn't maybe some other director should tell Nolan that films that uses filters like blue, orange and grey aren't films? It amounts to the same thing.
Except...no it wasn't. It was a specific response to a very narrow question.

Bob and other Marvel fans are taking umbrage over nothing. They're looking for a reason to lash back at a comment that wasn't targeted at them.

Try reading the actual interview and not Bob's interpretation of it. You'll better understand what it was Nolan was getting at.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Marvel movies are largely too formulaic and are taking too long to get to the climactic infinity gauntlet nonsense. Also the real thanos of titan would never push pawns to get his infinity stones but rather do it himself. End comic book guy rant.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Vigormortis said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Except...no it wasn't. It was a specific response to a very narrow question.

Bob and other Marvel fans are taking umbrage over nothing. They're looking for a reason to lash back at a comment that wasn't targeted at them.
I agree on the question but not the answer, I wouldn't want him to adopt a Marvel style (i like variety) but "real movies don't do that" seems like a overstatement. What is a "Real Movie"? if it's so ridged. But then text rarely conveys tone. Maybe he was joking? or being facetious, if so the writer sucks.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Click bait is click bait.

Lethos said:
I feel like you're extrapolating a lot here. But any excuse to go after a guy who's films you don't like, right?
My thoughts exactly. Bob will take a pot shot at DC every chance he gets, even if he has nothing to go on. Which is most of the time.