Nolan Calls Marvel-Bashing Quote "Inaccurate" - Update

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
While I feel it was a little snipe at Marvel, but also something blown way out of proportion, I can kind of agree. In my not so humble opinion, superhero movies (Nolan's included) are to film what Call of Duty is to games: Formulaic, guaranteed hits that require little effort on the creators' or the audience's part. And now we can add constantly churning out at a yearly rate to the comparison pile. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go down into my bunker and wait out several shitstorms at once.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
LysanderNemoinis said:
While I feel it was a little snipe at Marvel, but also something blown way out of proportion, I can kind of agree. In my not so humble opinion, superhero movies (Nolan's included) are to film what Call of Duty is to games: Formulaic, guaranteed hits that require little effort on the creators' or the audience's part. And now we can add constantly churning out at a yearly rate to the comparison pile. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go down into my bunker and wait out several shitstorms at once.
Unfortunately, unlike CoD, saying anything bad about the MCU is akin to sacrilige. Heck, it's arguably even more bloated than CoD because CoD at least keeps itself to one installment per year.

Anyway, I'd say more, but, well, what else is there to say about the MCU that hasn't been said already? "Ugh." That's all I feel inclined to say about it now. :(

Edit: After skimming through the article, I have to ask, why is this even a thing? The article is about Interstellar. Out of everything the article discusses, a single line is what Movie Bob picks up on to make an article here? Is the Marvel-DC rivalry so shallow that this is what it's come to? Granted, I'm not a superhero fan - I'll like a superhero movie based on whether it's good or not, not whatever its continuity may be, so I'm not one to comment but...seriously?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
V4Viewtiful said:
I agree on the question but not the answer, I wouldn't want him to adopt a Marvel style (i like variety) but "real movies don't do that" seems like a overstatement. What is a "Real Movie"? if it's so ridged. But then text rarely conveys tone. Maybe he was joking? or being facetious, if so the writer sucks.
Could be. And I agree. As I'd said earlier, I kind of agree with his sentiment, but I think he might've been able to word it better.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Christopher Nolan can get over his dark and gritty self.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Master Taffer said:
Well, that's certainly a snotty response.
Eh. I think it as funny. Possibly even just attempted as a bit of humour.

And this is from someone not too impressed with Nolan overall.
RJ Dalton said:
By "real movie" I assume he means "movie I have any interest in making."
When Is he going to make a real movie?

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Real Movies should not get a tag scene... and, unrelatedly, Man of Steel also didn't have one...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
He may not have thought it was tasteful, or perhaps he's pissed he didn't do it first... We're talking comic book movies anyway, they are what they are. I love them and the stingers get me every time because they're little tidbits for hardcore fans. Its not like Marvel did it first either, there are a few non-Marvel movies that do this.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
ticklefist said:
Marvel movies are just a manufactured product. The McDouble of the movie industry.
Pretty much this. I have no great love for the artificial, production line, anti art nature of modern cinema. It's emberasing, and frankly, I can't blame someone for taking umbridge with modern Hollywood. These movies are getting old.

Nolan knows what he's talking about. Real directors don't add post credit scenes. Real directors rip off satoshi kon and win tons of academy awards. Just ask aronofsky.

Ok, so maybe Nolan isn't the best person to make this criticism.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
Vigormortis said:
Lethos said:
I feel like you're extrapolating a lot here. But any excuse to go after a guy who's films you don't like, right?
Of course he is. He has some personal vendetta against Nolan and isn't above using needlessly misleading headlines to get a rise out of Marvel fans.

If there's one thing the "clique" of this forum loves to hate just as much as #GamerGate, Steam, Call of Duty, and DC Movies, it's Christopher Nolan.

Nolan was asked about post-credit stingers; notably in the context of stingers designed to be ads for out-of-series films. And in that context, I partly agree with him. He probably could have worded his comment a bit better, but I understand what he was trying to say.

He by no means said Marvel's current crop of films aren't real films.

This is just low, Bob. You're better than this.
I know this is a little off-topic but...

Escapist... hates... Steam...???????

One of the biggest hideouts for the PC MASTER RACE on the entire internet (which isn't easy, mind you)... hates Steam...

THE SITE THAT VOTED VALVE AS DEVELOPER OF THE YEAR SO MANY TIMES... hates... Steam...

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Who cares? Well, except Bob. Marvel fanboi of the century. "Grrr...someone didn't accord enough praise to Marvel or Whedon...dat makes me maaaad!"
Upon which, Bob puts on his Hulk fists and stomps around his apartment shouting, "BOB SMASH!"

But, to answer your intial question, "Did Christopher Nolan Say Marvel Films Are Not Real Movies?"
No. No he didn't. Misleading the masses, Bob; you Marvel loving Ilya Ehrenburg. He clearly didn't say anything of the sort.
Actually, comparing Bob to Ilya Ehrenburg is misleading in itself, since Ehrenburg was actually skilled at what he did. I'd say that Bob is the Escapists very own Glenn Beck.

Bob's a total hack writer.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
You jelly brah? Do we need to send you to the jelly school? The Nolan Batman movies were top notch, but from everythin else I've seen, dc can't make a movie universe, it a decent non-Nolan movie. Just my infallible opinion though.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
I don't think people should take this one too seriously. First of all by "real movie" he probably meant "serious" or "artsy" movie, and second it doesn't sound he was being completely serious, just making a jab at a type of movie other than what he likes to make.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
I wouldnt take his comment seriously the same way I dont take Hollywood seriously. I kinda agree with the opinion of Marvel movies being shallow though. The dance number and human chain crap they pulled in GotG really broke the camel's back for me.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Pretty sure he's just saying that he doesn't like putting what are essentially commercials at the end of his movies. Also, he doesn't force you to sit through the credits. I don't think he means that they aren't actually real movies, just that real movies shouldn't do it.

Edit: Also, seeing as this thread seems to be devolving in a certain direction, I'd just like to remind everyone that it is perfectly reasonable to like both Marvel and DC movies. Holy shit, right?! Get this, I really liked Nolan's Batman trilogy (the first two especially), but I also like a lot of the Marvel movies (Guardians of the Galaxy is my favourite so far).

Why do so many of you feel the need to either like the dark Nolan films, or the more lighthearted Marvel films? It's okay to enjoy both from time to time! I know I'd get tired if I only watched one type of superhero movie. Maybe that's just me...

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
deathbydeath said:
ticklefist said:
Marvel movies are just a manufactured product. The McDouble of the movie industry.
Boom, roasted. And pretty much accurate.

OP: Bob, stop reading into that too much; it doesn't really matter. Nolan isn't the type of person who buys tickets for the MCU films*, and this isn't half as scathing as what people like Confused Matthew [http://confusedmatthew.com/matthews-marvel-madness.html] have (rightly) said about the enterprise. I would stop generating clickbait, but it feels sort of hollow since I did indeed click on it and am writing this comment. Whatever, keep on doing what you do I guess.

tl;dr: Just because Christopher Nolan made good superhero movies and doesn't care for bland ones doesn't mean you have to freak the fuck out.

*- The Michael Bay Audience[sup]TM[/sup] is. (Oh snap!)

Confused Matthew got it right imho. if you hate kissing ass and being treated like shit, Hollywood's not the place for you.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I can't be mad at the guy, I have seen Inception at least 30 times (hell, I am watching it right now) and I have reenacted the pencil scene for my friends quite often. He just comes from a different school of storytelling, can't blame him for having an honest opinion. What somebody here said about spaghetti is the closest comparison I can think of.

Edit: Come to think of it, the term 'real movie' is an extremely volatile and subjective one, Once Upon A Time in America forced Leone to retire because it got shit on through cuts and bad reviews back in the day and now people consider it a masterpiece. Change, then some more change and then change again.

Fox12 said:
ticklefist said:
Pretty much this. I have no great love for the artificial, production line, anti art nature of modern cinema. It's emberasing, and frankly, I can't blame someone for taking umbridge with modern Hollywood. These movies are getting old.

Nolan knows what he's talking about. Real directors don't add post credit scenes. Real directors rip off satoshi kon and win tons of academy awards. Just ask aronofsky.

Ok, so maybe Nolan isn't the best person to make this criticism.
Oh but there is still artsy cinema out there but looking for this kind of cinema at Hollywood is sort of pointless. If art is what you want, try european and especially french cinema. And when you get sick of that, you will go back to Hollywood and so on and so forth. It's a phase. And a cycle. Try The Untouchables, it's awesome.

Marvel may be part of an industry that loves making things blow up but they have managed to create cinema properties from nothing, most people never knew Thor even existed. Compared to artsy cinema in Europe, low budget films never take chances and always play it safe. Me, I like a franchise that shakes things up and introduces the next big thing all the time. I can only see the same film about romance, disability and drug abuse one too many times.

RedDeadFred said:
Why do so many of you feel the need to either like the dark Nolan films, or the more lighthearted Marvel films? It's okay to enjoy both from time to time! I know I'd get tired if I only watched one type of superhero movie. Maybe that's just me...
Maybe it's because some people feel that being in the middle is like like driving into the middle wall between two tunnels. I try to have Shadowcat in the backseat with me.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I'm with Nolan on this one. Never understood the need for a scene (or two) after the end credits, especially if it's important. I mean: if it's so important why ''hide'' it there?

The fact that some hardcore Marvel-fans are butthurt over a harmless potshot is just a nice extra.

Funny how it goes, though. Nolan used to be something like a hero to geeks what with The Dark Knight and its widespread acclaim. I guess Nolan lived long enough to see himself become the villain...

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I can see where he is coming from. If they wanted people to see it they would have put it in the movie before the credits. There is nothing wrong with them as they are harmless. The only issue is that theater workers hate it as the credits is normally when they go in to attempt to clean the theater.

Before it was a small number of people who would stay to the end to get their money's worth. I typically stayed to the end because I'm not fond of traffic so I wait for the credits to end and then I don't have to walk in the sea of people trying to leave and there is not a lot of people in line for the restroom. But now it seems like every movie I go to half the theater stays because they don't want to miss out.

Credits bonuses were always kinda nice for the people who want to sit through it, but it wasn't a punishment for the people who did not stay. It was stuff like behind the scenes footage, or a blooper reel.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
LarsInCharge said:
I know this is a little off-topic but...
OP is already widely off-topic. The whole "news" is misconstrued from an article about Nolan's new movie Interstellar. Bob decided to misquote the guy because bait gets clicks and he never loses a chance to badmouth DC on the flimsiest of excuses.

I bet you he'll make it a point to have some sort of backhanded attack on Nolan - even the tiniest, littlest comment - when he talks about Interstellar on Friday.

Zachary Amaranth said:
When Is he going to make a real movie?
He's already made 10 very real movies and earned 3 very real Oscar nominations along the way. Granted most of his movies that aren't Batman-related rely on some sort of narrative hocus pocus to elevate themselves above the average blockbuster. Memento is told backwards, Prestige has unreliable narration, Inception is a Chinese box of continuums... but I think he's a very good director. He's ambitious, he comes up with his own scripts for his own projects and is always pushing some sort of new ground. And Interstellar, for all its pretense, is a very good movie. Probably his most personal and humane too.