Non Americans: Does seeing American English bother you?

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
As a Canadian, we are brought up using the non-American spellings for the most part. We don't use the British ones entirely either though. We have a bit of a hybrid system, I suppose, as well as our own variations and terms. I'm not going to say it bothers me to see the use of the American ones, but I'd rather not. It is hit and miss, however. Some words, like jail for example, make more sense than gaol (if that is even used anymore).

English is a diverse language and its many regions have their own ways of expressing it. I don't mind the diversity when it comes to American spelling vs British spelling vs Canadian spelling vs Australian spellings (I'm not even sure Australian is English sometimes..), because at the very least they are all correct-to-someone ways of using the words.

For me personally, however, when it comes to words like honour, armour that should have the u, I use the u. I use jewellery not jewelry and grey is spelled with an e (though with that both are correct anyway). I have, I guess you could say, a bit of a lack of respect for the alternate spellings mostly because of their absurd origins in the newspaper industry. In a way it would be as if text words now because the official "this is actually correct" spellings. Imagine, as a teacher, having to grade papers where students use words such as "u (you)" "r (are/our)", "g2g (I have got to go)" and being unable to mark them as wrong because they are accepted alternate spellings. Granted, the newspaper variations were to save costs on superfluous letters whereas text speech stems from a lack of character space and increasing laziness on behalf of the users. That being said I am getting off topic, and I apologize.

FurinKazanNZ

Dec 30, 2009
Nah, it's that whole thing with the only needing to see the first and last letters of a word thing, one letter differences don't bother me.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
i don't even know what are the differences or if i were to know, i wouldn't care, i'm as it is can barely communicate to worry about differences.

biggskanz

Dec 3, 2009
Alternate spellings do not bother me.

What does bother me is the misuse of: your/you're, their/there/they're, its/it's, etc. When I come across these mistakes on forums I usually just skip the entire post.

Squato

Dec 12, 2008
Main issue I have with the whole "American spelling" thing is when some program tells me that since I am typing something that is neither in American English nor UK English then it must therefore be incorrect.

As I am Australian (and hence, have a version of English that is a mix of the two) this can be an issue since I've seen it be thrown up WAY too many times in the past.

It gets even worse when it is something that will not let me post/save until I have made sure the "correct" version is posted/uploaded.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
EdwardOrchard said:
The only thing that annoys me is that the Escapist text box's auto-spellcheck keeps telling me that I'm incorrectly spelling colour, favourite, honour, armour, etc. These red underlines....have made me lose my faith in humanity (edit: /s).
This. When I spell colour I know that is correct. That's the word I am trying to spell, I'm not trying to get that corrected to color since that's NOT my spelling.God damn, it's OK that some choose to spell it like this, but don't make me spell it too!

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
EdwardOrchard said:
The only thing that annoys me is that the Escapist text box's auto-spellcheck keeps telling me that I'm incorrectly spelling colour, favourite, honour, armour, etc. These red underlines....have made me lose my faith in humanity (edit: /s).
Pretty sure that's not the Escapist, but your browser. I can tell Firefox to use British English and it reflects the appropriate spellings.

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
magicaxis said:
ALUMINUM! AARGH ANGER! ITS ALUMINIUM! WE FOUND IT!!! AARRRGHHH! and such.
Sure, you found it, but not even you called it "Aluminium" at first. It went Alumium -> Aluminum -> Aluminium.

Happy Yay

Jul 1, 2008
Danial said:
I just want to know what the letter U did to annoy America so much.
It's unnecessary as it doesn't gel with our pronunciation. I'm interested to know how you would pronounce color spelled the American way; would you say "cull-ORE," or would you say "cull-er" like us, or would you do it completely differently.

When I see an extra u in a "O-R" word I tend to pronounce it "ore" in my head, similar to the word "pour". I also read "centre" as "cenchure".

jake557 said:
What does bother me is "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". It's not just a different spelling/phrasing, it's flat out wrong.
I didn't know that was an American thing! I hate that phrase as well.

Raolan said:
It's not the spelling I dislike, it's the bloody awful pronunciations of words. Color still sounds like colour. Mom sounds absolutely stupid. Every time I hear someone say it that way I think they're saying mop, but change their minds to mum when they reach the end. Maybe it's because many of the self-centered pricks in game chats are so used to the words 'mum' and 'mop' going together because they're incapable of doing anything themselves. Ultimately though I don't mind how people spell English words, so long as they're still the word. In the case of three letters like 'mum' and 'mom' they should not be allowed to spell it how they want.

And I swear if I ever hear another American say 'Oh are you Aw-strahlian? Say "G'day mate!"' I will take him down.
As an American, both mum and mom seem perfectly good to me. I'm also interested to know how you guys pronounce "Australian". Someone said "a-stralian" earlier in the thread but I interpret that as "uh-stralian" which I don't think is correct. Is the a there pronounced like it is in "apple," so "Aah-stralian"?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
As an American, I don't care either way. Spell them however you want as long as it's a proper spelling somewhere. Armor, armour, whatever. As long as you don't spell it "armer" or something (watch as it turns out "armer" is acceptable somewhere and I make an ass out of myself).

EdwardOrchard said:
That's not the Escapist doing that, it's your browser. Any text box on any site should flag those words. Just right click them and select "Add to dictionary" and it will stop flagging them.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
if it's used in America than no, someone i work with once said 'elevator' and everyone in the office said 'it's a lift, not an elevator'

Perryman93

Mar 27, 2009
yes it most certainly does annoy me when Americans pronounce and spell English words incorrectly, but I can tolerate it, it is just the reluctance of some Americans to accept that the language isn't theirs, and when because of that, they try to tell others how to spell things in an Americanised way, when im pretty sure that English was originally spoken by the great people of England. (well, and the rest of the British isles)

Also, its called the Queens English for a reason, so please learn how to use it!

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I don't get annoyed at other people using it, but every time my spell-checker is telling me to put a 'z' or 'u' it makes me pause for a moment and sometimes lose my flow.

I do get irritated though, when a few loud-mouths get stuck in an argument and decide to take the "Huh, you spelled it wrong so you're wrong!" route and tell me I can't spell words just because I've used the UK English equivalent.

The word "mom" annoys me, though. I don't know why, but it makes the person saying it sound stupid to me even though I know better.

Happy Yay said:
I'm also interested to know how you guys pronounce "Australian". Someone said "a-stralian" earlier in the thread but I interpret that as "uh-stralian" which I don't think is correct. Is the a there pronounced like it is in "apple," so "Aah-stralian"?
Sorry if this comes out completely incoherent, but spelling sounds is hard.

It sounds more like "oss-tray-lee-an".
For the first bit, think the end of the word "boss" oss.

How do you pronounce it?

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
Ehh, it bothers me a bit but I get more annoyed at American pronounciations then American spellings

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
Perryman93 said:
yes it most certainly does annoy me when Americans pronounce and spell English words incorrectly, but I can tolerate it, it is just the reluctance of some Americans to accept that the language isn't theirs, and when because of that, they try to tell others how to spell things in an Americanised way, when im pretty sure that English was originally spoken by the great people of England. (well, and the rest of the British isles)

Also, its called the Queens English for a reason, so please learn how to use it!
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you are speaking English the exact same way you were 500+ years ago. Forgive my ignorance of the fact that English is a perfectly static language on those islands of yours.