Non-Player Counselor: Titanfall Mech Just Wants To Be Remembered

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Titanfall Mech Just Wants To Be Remembered

This week the mech from Titanfall realizes that no amount of pre-order bonuses can substitute for a plot.

Watch Video

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
It's sad how unpopular platform (XbOne) and DRM (Origin) exclusivity can let dust gather on a game. That must have made it so forgettable that this video ignored:

1. the OS voices, Betty and Jeeves. Jeeves, the smug British one, would have been perfect as a failing clown.
2. that titans explode; the shaking here implied that would happen.
3. titans don't have independent thought beyond automatic alerts.
and 4. "STAND BY for titanfall."

Nothing a little research can't fix, but nothing that kept this from being funny.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
Xman490 said:
2. If it did explode as suggested there'd be no joke at the end.
3. I don't believe a generic futuristic soldier with jetpack would do any better to reprezent.

Btw. I am sorry that the Mech was so small in comparison to humans, but otherwise it would be hard to animate this.
Maybe in the future giantic creatures could be picking up through the floor.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
So now that the precedent's been set for giant robots/mechsuits, hopefully Doctor Gold will have a Metal Gear in the future.
And even though I laughed at the jokes about Internet Connectivity and not getting single player, I think the Titan would sound better as Jeeves, as Xman490 said. Also, what was that Season Pass joke outside the building supposed to mean?

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
And even though I laughed at the jokes about Internet Connectivity and not getting single player, I think the Titan would sound better as Jeeves, as Xman490 said. Also, what was that Season Pass joke outside the building supposed to mean?
Like most jokes, It's a sex joke.
think of it as open season "pass"

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
Aww, I was hoping the Titanfall Atlas would have a rivalry with the Battletech Atlas who everyone knows and loves.

Can you guys do the Avatar from the Ultima series? That guy must have serious issues after Ultima 8.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I don't think the multiplayer-only thing was the problem. I think the problem was the game wasn't that good.

Now, I'm not much of a MP-only player, but there is room for MP-only games in the market. Hell, I don't touch single player COD, and it's fun to play with friends online. A lot of people don't care. But this was generic, and not a great shooter. This would pretty much make it fail even if it had SP or was SP-only, I'd think.

Titainfall was oen of those games I'd expect to pick up in the discount bin, except being MP-only means even that would probably be a bad idea.

Which sort of goes hand-in-hand with the idea that marketing the game and making it a franchise and whatnot instad of focusing on mkaing a memorable game (SP OR MP) was a problem.

Xman490 said:
It's sad how unpopular platform (XbOne) and DRM (Origin) exclusivity can let dust gather on a game. That must have made it so forgettable that this video ignored:
It was on 360, too. The port was evidently pretty faithful, and the 360 had a nice install base. Ironically, it sold worse there.

But still, it was an okay game at best.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Xman490 said:
It's sad how unpopular platform (XbOne) and DRM (Origin) exclusivity can let dust gather on a game.
It wasn't just the unpopular platform. I still have Origin, if only to play Battlefield 4 (not Hardline). And I have plans on getting an XBOne in the near future because I prefer my Fallout on the console and my strategy games on the PC.

The problem is that there is no campaign to really build the lore or make the setting more interesting. I played the free weekend access EA had for the PC and I genuinely had a lot of fun. The gameplay was nice and had a good feel to it, being both relatively unique and familiar at the same time. The mechs felt well balanced with the human and the unique play modes blended well with the mechanics. I thoroughly enjoyed playing the game for that entire weekend.

And I never bought it.

The big problem was that I felt like I had seen everything the game had to offer in 48 hours. Yeah, I could have spent a little more time trying to master the Sniper Rifle instead of the auto-pistol (which was reasonably well balanced, if a tad overpowered in terms of the base game[footnote]Against players, you essentially had to stay in shotgun range for 3-5 seconds without dying in order to have enough bullets focused on them to kill, which was akin to standing out of cover near a dragon. Against the NPCs, which are the main scoring method, you essentially could take down small squads with one trigger pull[/footnote]), but the limited weapon selection and the relative lack of customization that we're used to seeing in similar games made the game seem limited. The lack of a real single-player campaign, where CoD and BF show off all their toys and environments, meant that all I saw were mechs, NPC redshirts, and other players. It didn't feel like there was more to the game after I was done with that weekend.

And so, I got my Titanfall fix, and EA didn't get a dime. My hope is that they learn to put a goddamn single-player campaign in these kinds of games. I've seen too many decent games get passed by because the development team wasn't willing to make a game that was anything other than mechanics...

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Something Amyss said:
It was on 360, too. The port was evidently pretty faithful, and the 360 had a nice install base. Ironically, it sold worse there.
Didn't help that they never advertised that and almost no stores carried a copy to my knowledge...

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
If you want me to play Titanfall, try a 15mm tabletop wargame. Then I'll know who all the mechs are.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
This was one of my favorites so far. Great job!

Xman490 said:

1. the OS voices, Betty and Jeeves. Jeeves, the smug British one, would have been perfect as a failing clown.
and 4. "STAND BY for titanfall."

Nothing a little research can't fix, but nothing that kept this from being funny.
See, I didn't know any of these things and that really just proves the point they're making, doesn't it?

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I'm going to be fighting the impulse to start using the phrase "prepare for titanfall" in the same context as the counselor now.

On the topic of titanfall...
When I saw that game in the previews I thought "that's a world I want to stomp around in and learn about".
Sucker for sci fi and I dig giant robots.
Sadly the lack of a singleplayer drove me off.
Not to say I'm MP-phobic, just it scratches a different itch in a different way.
What had me excited for the game was the world and the story they might tell.
Any MP would have been the cherry on the cake.
Turned out there was no cake.
Just a cherry.
and the cherry was glazed in plastic.

For other folk the MP would have been the cake.
Sadly, it would still be glazed in plastic.

I can hear my metaphor groaning under the weight.
Think I better stop.