Non-Violent Game Idea: Puppies in Hell

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
But isn't the car accident violence?!?

I smirked throughout this idea, imagine the levels in ninja gaiden 2 but in 2d and more zombie like

In fact, it sounds like zombieville USA on iPhone, but with puppies instead of guns

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
So the puppies went to Hell in a handbasket?

Raiyan 1.0 said:
Pffft. Puppies.

Ponies are more contemporary.
Yes, but the ponies deserve to be in Hell, so the effect and effort are wasted.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Well, I think we all know what'll be GOTY in 2012 then =)

I'd imagine it wouldn't be impossible to mod this into an existing game. You could just turn bullet effects into puppies =)

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Cats would be way better in this scenario. They can cling better than dogs, are cuter, and are overall just better. It would take a highly cynical and soulless individual to want puppies over kitties . . oh wait it's Yatzee. Makes sense now.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Sounds like a pretty awesome idea. I really like the main mechanic being based around pacification instead of violence. Sometimes it's pretty depressing to see how many games are focused around violence, and equally depressing to see how little people even notice it.

But cats are quite obviously better than dogs. Just sayin'.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
LavaLampBamboo said:
Well, I think we all know what'll be GOTY in 2012 then =)

I'd imagine it wouldn't be impossible to mod this into an existing game. You could just turn bullet effects into puppies =)
Didn't Postal already do that?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Yahtzee, you could have made this ultra-low-budget game and posted it to the App store, PSN, and XBLA, drowning you in so much cash, you could afford the metric ton of anti-depressants necessary to pull you out of that suicide watch when (and it is "when") they announce the Gears of War prequel. But no, now someone else will take your ~US$25 million idea and make a mountain of cash without you seeing more than a few cents for you weekly review.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Pffft. Puppies.

Mayday, mayday, calling in all ponies to hug Zachary Amaranth. Mayday mayday...

;)

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
honestdiscussioner said:
Cats would be way better in this scenario. They can cling better than dogs, are cuter, and are overall just better. It would take a highly cynical and soulless individual to want puppies over kitties . . oh wait it's Yatzee. Makes sense now.
But cats are more related to demons and evil. Aside from Anubis, I've never really seen dogs used as a force for evil... plus puppy are better for humor in the situation that Yahtzee is describing.
Btw, I'd totally buy this. It sounds amazing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Pffft. Puppies.

;)
Joke's on you. I'm not a demon. I just work for one.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
honestdiscussioner said:
But cats are more related to demons and evil. Aside from Anubis, I've never really seen dogs used as a force for evil... plus puppy are better for humor in the situation that Yahtzee is describing.
You've never seen dogs used as a force for evil? Are you kidding me? What guards Hades? A three headed dog! What attacks you in nearly any game where animals attack you? Attack dogs. How are cats related to demons? Dogs and mangy and smelly, whereas cats clean themselves and bury their own poop!

I will admit the game sounds interesting . . it would just be better with cute, fluffy, adorable kitties.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Non-Violent Game Idea: Puppies in Hell

Yahtzee has another brilliant/batty idea for a game.

Read Full Article
But Conflict is the simplest form of Challenge, and Violence is the simplest form of Conflict. What we've got is both games and stories of all types going with the structure that has the lowest overhead.

I think of your "Context - Challenge - Gratification" as the three ingredients to the Experience of a game. The Mechanics of the game should then serve to bring out the key aspects of that Experience. The problem is that a lot of games are conceived "Mechanics-first." People set out to make "a First-Person Shooter," which presumes shooting as Challenge, and so they have to think of Context and Gratification that make sense within a Shooter. How about a war for Context and explosions for Gratification? Brilliant! Ship it!

In other areas, we would consider this Bass-Ackwards approach odd. "I really, really want to use a hammer... Hmm, let me think up a project that depends heavily on my use of a hammer." As opposed to, "I want to build a house. I guess a hammer would be a good place to start," or "I'd love to have a garden. A hammer probably isn't the right tool for this job."

When we start thinking Experience first, we may find ourselves branching out into different or under-used Mechanics.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
honestdiscussioner said:
SilverUchiha said:
honestdiscussioner said:
You've never seen dogs used as a force for evil? Are you kidding me? What guards Hades? A three headed dog! What attacks you in nearly any game where animals attack you? Attack dogs. How are cats related to demons? Dogs and mangy and smelly, whereas cats clean themselves and bury their own poop!

I will admit the game sounds interesting . . it would just be better with cute, fluffy, adorable kitties.
A few things:

1 - Hades isn't evil, therefore guarding it isn't evil. The Elysian Fields are down there, too, y'know.

2 - Attack dogs are trained to do that, and not always for evil purposes. Sometimes you're not supposed to be wherever you are and that's WHY the dogs are attacking you.

3 - How are cats related to demons? Well, aside from the notion of a black cat just crossing your path causing you to be cursed, hard to say.

4 - The idea only works because puppies are generally luffable and non-violent. Kittens, while cute and pettable, have a tendency to claw the crap out of you sooner or later. They're also more fragile, so probably not a good idea to throw them at things. Nothing against cats, I just don't think they'd be as practical a choice for the concept (as if "practical" can be applied to the idea of a game about throwing cute animals at demons to calm them down).

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
I would play this game. I would also buy it for any young nephews & nieces.

I like the idea of the puppies gaining powers throughout the game. Also there could be a mod for turning them into large pitbulls when you got tired of the puppy lovefest. :)

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Pffft. Puppies.

;)
Joke's on you. I'm not a demon. I just work for one.
It's okay. The Pony Effect is wide ranging.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I don't know if I want to play this as much as I want to play Mankind Will Never Understand My Genius, but I really want to play this.

You know what would be even better: change puppies to hand grenades...
Oh right.