Nonprofit Organization Wants to Send Married Couple to Mars

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Represent ourselves... to whom? People on Earth?

Beyond that, it's a cool idea. Sadly, I've never even dated, so I cannot apply.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Id actually say a married couple is the exact WRONG couple to have. I think 2 people with absolutely NO initial sexual interest would be the best. The problem is that if you drop a couple a stable couple that has been together for a while, because there is no change coming from the outside world, they will run out of conversation material VERY quickly.

Two people with barely(just enough to be safe) information about each other and initially no relationship interest at least allows for some sort of growth and development for that relationship so you dont go mad.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Cant they send Kayne and Karadesian into space? Any really obnoxious couple would do really.
Only if there is a camera placed in there so we can watch them inevitably kill one anther.

OT: Sounds like a bad idea, like they might want to kill each other after the 3rd month bad. Just because they endured a experiment with similar parameters don't mean a thing either since there is always the thought in the back of their head that they can leave at anytime during a controlled experiment whereas in space there would be no way back. Too bad cryosleep hasn't been invented yet so you could fly there get woken up look at the sights and then go back to sleep for the duration of the trip home.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Abomination said:
Well, they were disturbingly specific about it being a heterosexual couple. One can't help but think "Is there some agenda to this we're not seeing?".
Well, the heterosexual couple is what has continued and represented mankind all throughout history. I see nothing specifically against homosexual couples here, just that the heterosexual couple which makes up the majority of us is being used as a representative.

Nothing more than that really. It's not like they're even sending them off as emissaries to some alien race. Just sending them on a return trip to Mars' orbit. Nothing to really freak out over or to get on the defensive about.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
VanQQisH said:
Abomination said:
Well, they were disturbingly specific about it being a heterosexual couple. One can't help but think "Is there some agenda to this we're not seeing?".
Well, the heterosexual couple is what has continued and represented mankind all throughout history. I see nothing specifically against homosexual couples here, just that the heterosexual couple which makes up the majority of us is being used as a representative.

Nothing more than that really. It's not like they're even sending them off as emissaries to some alien race. Just sending them on a return trip to Mars' orbit. Nothing to really freak out over or to get on the defensive about.
I am mostly tongue-in-cheek about the whole defensiveness. I can understand wanting to send them because it would be useful for scientific study of long-term exposure of males AND females in space while reducing the risk of either going too long without emotional companionship. Because if we do intend on colonising other planets it'll be by sending "reproduceable" families there in the first place, we don't want them to be batshit insane when they land due to... long-distance space travel crazy syndrome or whatever.

I do feel, in the current sexual-equality environment, that stating a heterosexual couple represents humanity the best is not quite the wisest thing to say at this point in time. It does imply that the grandest of gestures of the human race must be done with heterosexuals which I do find makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Better to focus on the scientific benefits of it being a heterosexual couple than the "gesture" benefits.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Abomination said:
Uh oh, heterosexual couple only.

Why not a homosexual couple? Oh wait then you only have one gender going up there.

TWO homosexual couples? Are only the gay allowed in space?

Two homosexual couples and one heterosexual couple? Life support for 6 people and privacy for 3 groups? That'll cost a ton.

How long were some sea voyages for? Months? I wonder if anyone ever hit multiple years on a boat without setting foot on land or calling into a harbour?

Wonder what the daily routine would be. Wake up, eat, check systems, {emergency maintenance}, bathe, exercise, check world news, routine maintenance, eat, exercise, recreation, eat, exercise, sleep?
I think it was less of a homosexual vs heterosexual issue and more of "we want it to represend humanity, humans are both male and female, so we want male and female in there, and them being married would help them cope with the journey"

doggie015 said:
How about they send up just one person? The capsules that pioneered human space exploration only held one person. Why not have the same apply for this mission. It's cheaper to send up 500 days worth of supplies, oxygen, hydrogen and fuel for one person than for two
because it woudl take me not to get insane in a box for 500 days alone. and lets face it, me is not fit enough for space travel.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Abomination said:
VanQQisH said:
Abomination said:

I am mostly tongue-in-cheek about the whole defensiveness. I can understand wanting to send them because it would be useful for scientific study of long-term exposure of males AND females in space while reducing the risk of either going too long without emotional companionship. Because if we do intend on colonising other planets it'll be by sending "reproduceable" families there in the first place, we don't want them to be batshit insane when they land due to... long-distance space travel crazy syndrome or whatever.

I do feel, in the current sexual-equality environment, that stating a heterosexual couple represents humanity the best is not quite the wisest thing to say at this point in time. It does imply that the grandest of gestures of the human race must be done with heterosexuals which I do find makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Better to focus on the scientific benefits of it being a heterosexual couple than the "gesture" benefits.
Honestly i think you missed a bit.

They did explain very specifically why a heterosexual couple, and it really had not much to do with their sexual preference. Males and Females equally represented in the journey. Being a couple will probably help them stay sane. That was the point of the heterosexual couple representing humanity. Not the hetero-unit itself, but the fact that a Man and a Woman make up roughly 99.9% of the population or thereabouts.

I see no sexuality discrimination here, and i don't really think anyone should either, unless they dig for it.

GamerFromJump

Sep 28, 2009
This is why the first Mars trip should be "go big or don't bother". A small group will inevitably drive each other insane. Six people in a can in privation conditions is idiotic. Get a large group in a large ship with some amenities. Give people some space, for Pete's sake. Also, don't pretend there won't be f*cking, because it's inevitable. Instead, manage the consequences.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
I can think of better things to do with the money for space travel. But I agree with GamerFromJump it should be a larger group and also a parking space sized box with no privacy sounds hellish, let's hope that chilli isn't packed away in the food supplies.

Also
WWmelb said:
They did explain very specifically why a heterosexual couple, and it really had not much to do with their sexual preference. Males and Females equally represented in the journey. Being a couple will probably help them stay sane. That was the point of the heterosexual couple representing humanity. Not the hetero-unit itself, but the fact that a Man and a Woman make up roughly 99.9% of the population or thereabouts.
I know I am going to regret this but what sex is the last 0.1%?

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Frostbyte666 said:
I can think of better things to do with the money for space travel. But I agree with GamerFromJump it should be a larger group and also a parking space sized box with no privacy sounds hellish, let's hope that chilli isn't packed away in the food supplies.

Also
WWmelb said:
I know I am going to regret this but what sex is the last 0.1%?
Well it may actually be a lot higher than0.1% and probably is, but transgender, intersex etc you get the idea. It is probably actually closer to 1% but i can't be sure on that.

Davatehi

Dec 23, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
What's wrong with gay people in space?
http://www.flickwit.net/images/little-britain.jpg

Do we not like these people?
I can see it now.
*space ship gets attacked by aliens with probing tools*
"Greetings space people! If you have to probe someone, probe me! Because I'm Daffyd Thomas, the only gay in space."
*Aliens does sounds point at eachother with probing tools and giggeling*
"Your extraterrestrials that doesn't really count.*