Nord Mead and You Died

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Nord Mead and You Died

Gavin responds to your comments and questions regarding "Nord Mead" and "You Died".

Read Full Article

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Sorry you took so much goofy criticism. Honestly, I think both songs are brilliant. "You Died", in particular, perfectly captures the spirit of Dark Souls and how its played.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Don't worry about the structure thing so much, as long as it's not the same in every song. Which it isn't. Especially not for the last few weeks. So you're good.

Adric Cluff

Jul 18, 2011
I'd like to see an encore about "The Grind". The heavy rock guitar is a sound that has been absent from MOS for awhile, it came back with Binary Divide but something about that song just didn't come together as well as previous heavy rock entries. Maybe getting nostalgic will help Gavin to perfect the old formula again. (Don't listen to the nay-sayers Gav, ifpeople didn't like repetition, the Chorus would've fallen out of fashion decades ago.)

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I would love to hear about Binary Divide. And I don't know who said you sound like Blind Guardian, but they are wrong.

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
I liked 'You Died' a lot. It made a lot of sense after following your lets play of the game, and, let me tell you now, that when I'm feeling in the mood to listen to some dark yet funny music, this song is great. I can almost imagine a skeleton with an eyeball drooping out singing this and having a good laugh watching all the new players suffer.
In terms of what I'd like to see you talk about next, I'd quite like to see something on 'Take it Back', and the creative process involved behind it, as I'd quite like to hear how Bioware approached you, and how they responded to your stuff.
Alternatively, I'd love to see the two early Gears of War songs looked at ('Ballad of Clay Carmine' and 'Santiago's Lament'). They were both very good parallels of each other.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
As one of the people that have asked if you listen to Blind Guardian, I'd say you should go and give them a listen :p

Good read as always, keep up the good music making and I'll have to buy an album, or two, once I actually get that mythical thing called spare cash.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
You're a terrible person because "you died" is irrepariably stuck in my head now, and it kind of makes me want to rebuy dark souls.

I don't wanna let the evil game hurt me again...

"Nord mead" has become part of a drinking playlist to me. I'm constantly reminded of "wenches and mead" by alestorm when I listen to it. And then I wonder whether vikings or pirates would win in a drinking contest. And this is usually the point at which my memory of the night becomes fuzzy.

For the next mailbaggy thingymahbobby, I think you should do a couple of earlier songs, age of the dragon and ballad of clay carmine.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
I really enjoyed both songs, and I thought the accent was very cool indeed. It makes me sad that I didn't know weather it was real or fake but it worked with the song. Now I'm curious about what your accent sounds like when you are just talking.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
walsfeo said:
I really enjoyed both songs, and I thought the accent was very cool indeed. It makes me sad that I didn't know weather it was real or fake but it worked with the song. Now I'm curious about what your accent sounds like when you are just talking.
Well, it sounds like this!

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Apparently I'm just not suited to being a stalker or I would have found that. And I didn't see your Mass Effect song anywhere, I must have been too busy playing the game. I will go seek it out, but in typical lazy internet fashion it would be cool if you linked it to this thread as well.

Nice ax.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
walsfeo said:

Your Metal Face is the definition of Epic.

Also, Nord Mead is probably my fav song of yours. The "Raise Our Flagons to Another Dead Dragon," bit, is absolutely great. Horrible Skooma.

Also, You're a Irishman who likes getting drunk?

You total cliché!! (But please don't stop being one if it means you make a lot more songs like this.)

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Both of them be good songs.
As to the Dark Souls one, might be my 'off' sense of humour but that was simply hilarious. Grim yet funny as hell.

Also, congratulations on the new guitar, sounds wonderful.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
At what point did me reading these Encores become less about learning more about the songs and more about reading your responses to peoples stupid criticisms of them? Oh well.

I'm glad to see you did an Encore of You Died since it's one of my personal favorites at this point. I haven't been able to stop humming it since I first heard it, the same for Nord Mead. They're easily your catchiest songs in my opinion. Also, it may not have been what you were going for but I still feel like You Died is mocking me, STOP MOCKING ME GAV!

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
That Irish accent was terrible. Please don't try to do one again.
Who on earth said your Irish accent was terrible?! That makes me wonder if my own is as bad as people say it is...

... What am I saying, of course it is ;_; (Curse my American friends for influencing my speech as a child! *shakes fist*)

This might seem out of context but I had to get off my chest. I know that listening to feedback and stuff is good for the whole creative process, keeps things from getting stale etc, but in the end they are YOUR songs. Like the whole Assassin's Creed song thing; I was one of those that heard that weird KKK thing - if anything you come out looking great IMO because you never even thought of it that way - but I NEVER expected you to change the lyrics to it. Now I have a hard time listening to it 'cos I feel guilty =(

TL;DR: Don't compromise your vision to make a few malcontents feel big in their britches. You're awesome <3

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
"You Died" totally fits the game from that view point since I could've sworn several times that game and my PS3 were laughing at me when I kept dying.

I would love to read about how you did "Binary Divide" since I found myself liking the song the more I listened to it.

Also...
trollnystan said:
TL;DR: Don't compromise your vision to make a few malcontents feel big in their britches. You're awesome <3
...this. To hell with those guys, we love you!

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
A song for Shadow of the Colossus would be very very interesting for you to do since most songs you do are of more recent games. Going back to some much older games with critical acclaim would be nice. ^_^

Okami comes to mind as well, an asian themed song would be something i don't think you've done yet.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
It amuses me that people thought "You died" was bad, because it was the song that convinced me to listen to all of your music. To each their own, I suppose.

I'm not one for this kind of content, but 4 times out of 5, I like what I hear.