North Korea Takes Seth Rogen Complaint To The UN

Karnesdorff

Nov 19, 2009
michael87cn said:
Sure about that, billy bob? I mean, couch commander? General of the internet war committee? Oh wait, you have no idea how an obviously dictatorial leadership is run, you just hope that what you say is the case. Well, let's all hope, shall we? Let's also hope that if they do launch a nuke at us, we have better luck at detecting and disabling it than we do the PLANES (not nuke, planes...) that destroyed the twin towers, practically without effort. Can brag about military this military that all you want, but in reality, a nuclear war would not only spell the end of NK, but the end of NA as well. Possibly the end of the world.

It would be VERY CRUELLY IRONIC IF THE END OF THE WORLD CAME ABOUT because of a hollywood movie. Oh, but that will NEVER happen, so provoke them away!

(or, you could, you know, leave someone alone when they tell you to stop it....NAH WE GOTTA HAVE A RIDICULOUS COMEDY! (because we're assholes....))

Sorry if i'm a bit blunt, but I don't take the threat of war lightly from a dictatorship with nukes. Nobody should... Hitler should have taught us that crazy people can do anything they want if we let them. Let alone provoke them to action. (the Nazi party also used films/propoganda as weapons and its easy to see how other dictators could see films as real threats to their rule)
Well, speaking as someone who has a Master's degree from a UK university(that's in the world top 20, or at least was when I was there) in International and European Politics with a specific focus on International Security and Insurgency warfare's effectiveness against standing armies, and additionally has spent some time researching the NK/SK situation, pretty sure, yeah.

Additional information to put into this:
NK doesn't have a plane that could reach the USA, at least not one good enough to not get detected. Their stock of war material is cold-war era with a few bit and pieces extra. Their rocket technology lacks anything that could get to NA. Even their nukes, which are factored into the 'killing millions in Seoul' things I mentioned, can't be fitted onto any missiles they have that could hit NA, and most of those delivery systems failed their launch tests anyway.

I'm not saying NK wouldn't start flinging the nukes if a hot war happened. Just that they know the threat of that is worth far more than actually doing it. So their entire Foreign policy is based around shouting and screaming until people give them enough aid to go away, and the country doesn't starve for however long.

K.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm surprised that North Korea is actually attempting to do something about this in a reasonable manner. Going to the U.N. and filing a complaint instead of threatening war or some other silly stunt is something I didn't think they would do. I mean, these guys are so far removed from reality that this is almost unbelievable.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Lieju said:
An important distinction, though.
This is not a movie that's made by the US in any official capacity. This is a movie made by a bunch of Americans.
(And there are people in America who would want a movie where Obama is killed and beheaded for being a gay muslim abortionist or something)

If the government funded it and had oversight over it, it would be different.
But Hollywood doesn't represent the US government.
I don't know if NK realizes that, because I'm pretty sure their government runs their film industry(or at least are very closely tied). Or maybe they don't care.

Of course, I don't think NK has apologized for kidnapping a South Korean film director(and some other people, including his wife) so they could force him to make a Godzilla rip-off.
Of course they don't. They adhere to the flawed logic that anything outside of their borders is controlled by government trying to destroy it, especially if it is in English. The film could have been made by Australian producers with British actors and shot in South Africa, and they would still call it "an example of American imperialism"...

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
You know, I think North Korea fails to understand that in other countries, films can be made without being requisitioned by the Government.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
michael87cn said:
Karnesdorff said:
Something to keep in mind here.

The leaders of NK are not idiots. They know that, if they start anything, their entire country will be ended within months. They'll kill millions of civilians in Seoul with artillery before being taken down, sure, that's pretty much one of the few reasons NK still exists as a country. But there is no scenario involving just NK vs. SK and the US forces in a shooting war that doesn't involve NK becoming part of a unified 'Korea' again. If the Chinese give direct military support, then it's more complicated, but in that case China is choosing between a nominal ally that gives it nothing but embarrassment on the world stage and refusing to listen to anything they say versus their number 1 trading partner. It's not going to take long for them to decide on that one. The only question they ask in foreign policy is 'What's best for China?' and what's best for China here is staying neutral and then picking up as many of those lucrative rebuilding contracts as it can while getting permission to have the NK/China border sealed.

So the NK leaders will scream, shout, but actual acts of violence? No. They know that only leads to them dead in a ditch and Seoul as the only capital on the Korean peninsula.

K.
Sure about that, billy bob? I mean, couch commander? General of the internet war committee? Oh wait, you have no idea how an obviously dictatorial leadership is run, you just hope that what you say is the case. Well, let's all hope, shall we? Let's also hope that if they do launch a nuke at us, we have better luck at detecting and disabling it than we do the PLANES (not nuke, planes...) that destroyed the twin towers, practically without effort. Can brag about military this military that all you want, but in reality, a nuclear war would not only spell the end of NK, but the end of NA as well. Possibly the end of the world.

It would be VERY CRUELLY IRONIC IF THE END OF THE WORLD CAME ABOUT because of a hollywood movie. Oh, but that will NEVER happen, so provoke them away!

(or, you could, you know, leave someone alone when they tell you to stop it....NAH WE GOTTA HAVE A RIDICULOUS COMEDY! (because we're assholes....))

Sorry if i'm a bit blunt, but I don't take the threat of war lightly from a dictatorship with nukes. Nobody should... Hitler should have taught us that crazy people can do anything they want if we let them. Let alone provoke them to action. (the Nazi party also used films/propoganda as weapons and its easy to see how other dictators could see films as real threats to their rule)
Despite the condescension you are putting WAY too much into NK's nuclear capacity. If China sided with them then we would have an issue of an all out nuclear apocalypse but NK on their own couldn't touch the US. It would be beyond impressive if they managed to land a single troop on US soil. Also those planes you mentioned were supposed to be in the US, they weren't a foreign body. No the US military isn't "God like" but compared to NK they might as well be.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Karnesdorff said:
Even their nukes, which are factored into the 'killing millions in Seoul' things I mentioned, can't be fitted onto any missiles they have that could his NA, and most of those delivery systems failed their launch tests anyway.
I remember Bill Bailey making a joke about that. Something to do with fashioning a catapult maybe. Ah it was funnier at the time!

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
There's a hierarchy of nations and North Korea is at the bottom of it.

Their leader should learn that if you don't stand a chance of much success at something in politics, you shouldn't take the chance on it and be made to look like a fool, but the NorKs wouldn't be who they are if they were that wise.

The sad fault of the UN is it's built on the false assumption that all nations are equal where we get greater farces than this happened with terrible nations taking their turn on things like the Human rights Commission.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
michael87cn said:
Karnesdorff said:
Something to keep in mind here.

The leaders of NK are not idiots. They know that, if they start anything, their entire country will be ended within months. They'll kill millions of civilians in Seoul with artillery before being taken down, sure, that's pretty much one of the few reasons NK still exists as a country. But there is no scenario involving just NK vs. SK and the US forces in a shooting war that doesn't involve NK becoming part of a unified 'Korea' again. If the Chinese give direct military support, then it's more complicated, but in that case China is choosing between a nominal ally that gives it nothing but embarrassment on the world stage and refusing to listen to anything they say versus their number 1 trading partner. It's not going to take long for them to decide on that one. The only question they ask in foreign policy is 'What's best for China?' and what's best for China here is staying neutral and then picking up as many of those lucrative rebuilding contracts as it can while getting permission to have the NK/China border sealed.

So the NK leaders will scream, shout, but actual acts of violence? No. They know that only leads to them dead in a ditch and Seoul as the only capital on the Korean peninsula.

K.

I find it bizarre that you call him couch commander when your own grasp of NK's nuclear capability seems even more of a fantasy than what they put into their propaganda. There is absolutely nothing similar about stopping domestic planes and a missile launched from a foreign nation, so your comparison there is nonsensical in the extreme. And as far as provocation goes, this is a movie made by private citizens and neither represents nor is condoned by the U.S. Government. So I ask you, what should the U.S. do? Violate its own constitution because of a phantom nuclear menace? I'm not sure what you are actually advocating, government censorship of anything that might "provoke" a foreign nation?

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I still bet on them not killing him at all and just finding out he is a pretty cool dude. Its not too much of a long shot for a Seth Rogen movie. They will buddy up with him in some manner like teaming up to take down the North Korean government. Calling it right now.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
If they take any action at all they will probably just change Kim Jong Un to a fictional leader of NK. Maybe a drag queen called 'Kimmy'.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Crazy Zaul said:
If they take any action at all they will probably just change Kim Jong Un to a fictional leader of NK. Maybe a drag queen called 'Kimmy'.
That right there would make this movie 1000 times better.

j4c0b1

Jun 9, 2014
Can we and the news in the west just ignore north Korea, considering its populations, size, and GDP its closest comparable other country is Mozambique.

Although if it is an 'act of war' it would be justified, considering how the Korean war never actually ended.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
michael87cn said:
Also ironically, that sounds like an excellent plot for a Dr. Strangelove-esque dark comedy. It would be awesome if Rogen followed this up with a fictional documentary about how this film provoked N.K. to end the world.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
J Tyran said:
Really? This coming from the country that makes and distributes videos like this:-
The fact that that is being shown to "We are the World" just makes it so much better.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Shanahanapp said:
While North Korea are COMPLETELY FUCKING NUTS and "act of war" is kinda an exaggeration, I get where they're coming from here. You can't really have a movie about assassinating the leader of a country you're technically at peace with. Pretty sure people would go crazy if North Korea released a film about assassinating Obama.
Last I checked Seth Rogen wasn't the United States of America.

No they wouldn't. Fox News might, but the citizens of the US wouldn't give a shit.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
you know what im tired of the bullshit from this country to the point that I want them to start the war back up, they would stand alone and this shit would be over pretty fast. Hell ill tell you right now South Korea and the US solders stationed there would like nothing more then a reason to wipe out that country's leadership if only to not have a gun pointed at them all the dam time......

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
frobalt said:
As bat shit crazy as NK are, I've gotta agree with them on this one.

I mean, could you imagine the backlash there'd be if a country released a film about assassinating the president of the USA? The Americans would go crazy. It would definitely be banned in the USA at least.
I think that if, for example, some studio made a movie about assassinating Obama, many Republican voters would go see it and it would make a ton of money.
Would it be in bad taste? Perhaps (depending on the content) but censoring people for the sake of protecting someone's feelings is always a bad idea.

Shanahanapp said:
While North Korea are COMPLETELY FUCKING NUTS and "act of war" is kinda an exaggeration, I get where they're coming from here. You can't really have a movie about assassinating the leader of a country you're technically at peace with. Pretty sure people would go crazy if North Korea released a film about assassinating Obama.
Yeah but it's not the government tat's making the movie, it's private individuals who aren't directly involved in politics and aren't tasked with representing their country in a positive way (or any way for that matter).
Also, I think that Obama is the kind of person that would be more flattered if NK did something like that.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
This is all just a wacky cultural misunderstanding. You see, if North Korea made a movie about the assassination of the leader of another country, citizens would be required to watch it or risk being sent to a forced-work camp.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Demagogue said:
I love this double standard people are taking with this. As others have said in past threads, if someone was to make a movie like this about the USA, there would be an uproar, but because it is occuring to NK its 'fine'.

I'm not going to watch the movie regardless because I think Seth Rogan's brand of humor is idiotic. However, it is a movie that should have never been made.
I'm not really seeing the double standard. The movie isn't being made by the US government it's being made by citizens. If NK made the same movie then it would be made by the government because they control everything and therefore it really would come off as a threat
Plus people in this thread have posted links showing the crazy NK propaganda films where they're nuking the US and shit and our government doesn't freak out about it because we all realize how crazy NK is.