North Korea Takes Seth Rogen Complaint To The UN

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Oh, yeah, because it's not like North Korea hasn't made movies where they kill important government people in enemy nations.

. . .

Actually, I don't know about that one, but I'll bet they have. NK's made some really weird movies. But the point is, it's just a movie, a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing (if I may be so pompous as to use that quote in this context).

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
It's like North Korea is completely oblivious to the fact that China has them by the balls and might actually invade them should they do anything funny.

Although that might turn out to be a painful advantage for NK, since it's China the world has to deal with if the world invades first.

Karnesdorff

Nov 19, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Karnesdorff said:
Even their nukes, which are factored into the 'killing millions in Seoul' things I mentioned, can't be fitted onto any missiles they have that could his NA, and most of those delivery systems failed their launch tests anyway.
I remember Bill Bailey making a joke about that. Something to do with fashioning a catapult maybe. Ah it was funnier at the time!
Yeah, I'm tempted to say that's about the 'launch platform' they could use with any regularity...

K.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
frobalt said:
As bat shit crazy as NK are, I've gotta agree with them on this one.

I mean, could you imagine the backlash there'd be if a country released a film about assassinating the president of the USA? The Americans would go crazy. It would definitely be banned in the USA at least.

Edit:

One thing to realise here is that it isn't a generic 'assassinate the leader of a foreign' nation film where either the leader is purely a made up character or both the country and leader are made up, it's a film where a real leader will be represented. Usually leaders of countries are made up characters, even when nothing really happens to them.

Regardless, I am curious to see what NK do when this is released, and I certainly don't like what the people of that country are treated like. I just think it's understandable that NK would be a bit pissy about this film.
NK made and distributed a political video about a man dreaming of nuking the US, last I checked it's not been banned. That's far worse than this spoof. If NK can't take it they shouldn't dish it out

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Well damn, I did not quite expect my post to get that much attention. Don't have time to reply to them all of course.

It looks like I've been corrected pretty efficiently regarding other movies portraying a similar theme. Fair play, I rescind my point - Although the film about the assassination of bush caused outrage in America, according to the news article that was linked.

I do want to make myself clear though: I'm not defending NK, just saying it's understandable they're upset...and let's face it, NK always like to make idle threats to make themselves seem important. I don't think it should be banned either and it would be stupid of the UN to even take NK seriously at all.

Let's face it though: Who's surprised NK are pissed at this film?

TBH, I'm torn between whether I should watch this film or not - I'm not a fan of Seth Rogen or James Franco but am curious how this film turns out because of all the controversy.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Well I guess this official complaint puts to bed the whole "its a publicity stunt rumours". Unless of course Jun un is a huge Rogan fan and wants to get this movie unwarranted publicity.

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
Demagogue said:
I love this double standard people are taking with this. As others have said in past threads, if someone was to make a movie like this about the USA, there would be an uproar, but because it is occuring to NK its 'fine'.

I'm not going to watch the movie regardless because I think Seth Rogan's brand of humor is idiotic. However, it is a movie that should have never been made.
The difference is, the USA is not well known for sending people who didn't vote for Obama to Guantanamo Bay, execute anyone who tries to leave the country, have statues of Obama on EVERY street corner and require you to learn how many sugars he likes in his coffee in the morning, and whether he prefers McDonalds or Burger King.
Let's be honest, America is NOT the greatest nation in the world. Guantanamo Bay exists, one of the few conspiracy theories that has any credibility to it is who really killed JFK and about 40 percent of americans are fat. But you know what?
Americans are FREE to disagree with Obama. They are FREE to blow off his health care program, and they are FREE to side with Kim Jong Un on this, wile if anyone in North Korea so much as says that maybe Kim Jong Un forgot to brush his teeth this morning its "To the gulag!"
Someone's always going to be pissed off when you make a movie about assassinating their leader, but North Korea is such an evil hell hole that any attempt to take them down a peg and exposding there horrific crimes in a way that the general public can understand is a good thing.
Also, North Korea frequently claims that they're going to destroy America and some guy above posted an NK propaganda video where they nuked New York. I think that if they can show the U.S not only having it's leader killed but its country razed to the ground, then I think they're entitled to take a potshot at Mr Kim.

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
Shanahanapp said:
While North Korea are COMPLETELY FUCKING NUTS and "act of war" is kinda an exaggeration, I get where they're coming from here. You can't really have a movie about assassinating the leader of a country you're technically at peace with. Pretty sure people would go crazy if North Korea released a film about assassinating Obama.
Technically, the U.S and North Korea are still at war with each other, the Korean War ended on a truce/armistice. That's why the Demilitarized Zone exists instead of just a regular border, because North Korea and south Korea/U.S.A are still technically at war with each other.
Which does make KIm saying this "is an act of war" pretty hilariously redundant.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
You know, sometimes it's like batshit crazy authoritarian dictatorships have no sense of humour.

Also, people claiming this is some kind of double standard? Bollocks. Sure you might get some nationalistic nutters throwing a fit, but no. Just fucking no. If it was a serious film then I suppose it might raise a few eyebrows, but comedy? Not at all. It might be distasteful, but the best comedy usually is. It's like you've never even seen South Park. Let's face it, no one except North Korea and maybe Seth Rogen gives a flying fuck about this movie and we'll all forget about it a week after it's released.

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
Sigh, so the babys with the big fat fingers on the red buttons are now throwing tantrums at each other... hope it doesnt get TOO dramatic, I would like to die before someone actually manages the nerve to push the button.

Any way, raising some sort of protest on the UN would be like going over to the Legion of Doom and telling them about Dark Seid... if you know what I mean.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
michael87cn said:
Well, to be fair... none of us would like to see a movie jokingly or not, made about killing us. I mean.... yeah ...

I also don't really think a nation is harmless, or that they are throwing 'pissy fits'. I also don't think its funny that they are threatening war...
Oh, they aren't harmless. They murder plenty of (their own) innocent people and I'm sure they'd love to kill a lot of innocent South Koreans if they could. Not to mention their main battle strategy is very likely "Throw yourselves at the enemy, comrades. Hopefully they'll run out of bullets before we run out of men" AKA the Zapp Brannigan Strategy.

But to other countries, they are essentially harmless because their chance of winning a war is pretty close to zero. The question isn't "Would NK lose a war with(pretty much anyone)?" but "How long will it take before they are curbstomped and how many people will die because of it?"

And they are Pissy fits, because for all their threats, they have yet to actually do anything substational. They'll scream and cry about "American Imperialists" being unfair to them but then come and beg for aid immediately afterwards. Or go crying to China for help.

And I suspect China is getting sick of it. While I have no evidence to support this, If NK actually would start a war, China might just decided to adopt a stance of Official Protest but letting the US and South Koreans take the Regime out without interference, just to be rid of the little shit.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
For everyone arguing that we'd be losing our shit if somebody made a movie about assassinating Obama or whoever, I think keeping the context in mind is important.
If it was a goofy comedy about two bumbling twits who very obviously aren't proper assassins but who gets picked up by an exaggerated secret intelligence organisation and gets sent to off Obama, that might be more accepted.

Another thing I just thought of... How many fewer people would be pissed off if Romney was president and the movie was about killing him. Maybe a bit of an oversimplification, but the point remains. A movie about killing the democratically elected leader of a free nation is at least a tad different than one about killing a leader who proclaims himself a deity and starves his own people while trying to keep them in a deluded fantasy world in which the whole world is plotting to kill them.

I mean... I know it's a complex issue, but considering that in the real world one very much deserves to be killed while the other does not - well, surely two movies respectively depicting the killing of each are not so simply equivalent.

Those are my feelings. Besides the obvious point that North Korea is the last country who should be crying to the UN. Yeah, we all have to follow the rules when it's YOU who feelss threatened, don't we North Korea :mad:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Sniper Team 4 said:
I'm surprised that North Korea is actually attempting to do something about this in a reasonable manner. Going to the U.N. and filing a complaint instead of threatening war or some other silly stunt is something I didn't think they would do. I mean, these guys are so far removed from reality that this is almost unbelievable.
Of course, the UN can now ask them "So, what about all those Human Rights abuses/Atrocities we slammed you for a few months ago? Any comment?" NK said it wasn't truthful because they didn't cooperation with the investigation. Obviously, if anyone had asked to see their Gulags, I'm sure they would have been happy to let inspectors in to see they were really "Happy camps".

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
MinionJoe said:
J Tyran said:
Really? This coming from the country that makes and distributes videos like this:-
That's the video I was looking for. I couldn't find it amongst all the other anti-U.S. videos depicting the destruction of the White House, the Capital Building, or Obama.

I suspect NK's just jelly of our production quality.
Kim Jong-Un is just crackers I think, I mean he sent Embassy officials in London to question a barber over a joke marketing poster advertising haircuts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27038723

He seems to really have a problem with how he is portrayed overseas as well as in North Korea, he doesn't seem to understand that he cannot demand that the rest of the world grovels to his own ideal self image.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Lieju said:
frobalt said:
As bat shit crazy as NK are, I've gotta agree with them on this one.

I mean, could you imagine the backlash there'd be if a country released a film about assassinating the president of the USA? The Americans would go crazy. It would definitely be banned in the USA at least.
I'm sure there would be people in the US who'd go crazy, but would it be banned?
Apparently so:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2158950/Fury-HBOs-Game-Thrones-shows-President-George-W-Bushs-decapitated-head-impaled-STAKE.html

Sure it was accidental, but there was enough outcry to have it deleted.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
You know what? I North Korea's pissing and moaning actually do something. I want the UN to create a non-binding resolution for the possible creation of a committee to maybe investigate if the movie hurt Baby-Face Kim's feeling. I want them to bring Seth Rogen before the General Assembly and troll the shit out of North Korea with a stand up routine on one of the greatest stages. And I sincerely hope this movie is banned... in North Korea, as the last thing we want is for the people to realize that movies don't have to have shit production values.

North Korea is the laughing stock of the world and is run by petulant children.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009

*watch from 0:21

I'm sorry, but that's basically the extent of my reaction about this. I imagine that it's probably going to be the UN's reaction to North Korea doing this too, honestly.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Shanahanapp said:
While North Korea are COMPLETELY FUCKING NUTS and "act of war" is kinda an exaggeration, I get where they're coming from here. You can't really have a movie about assassinating the leader of a country you're technically at peace with. Pretty sure people would go crazy if North Korea released a film about assassinating Obama.
I think the majority of people would think it was the funniest damn thing ever. They've already released propaganda footage of them blowing up the whole USA...

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
I wish North Korean government officials could respond to the comments on this board lol. It wasn't too long ago that North Korea put up a video of the white house blowing up on YouTube. I don't see how this is different. Screw that fatass north korean president :p