North Korea Threatens War With US Over Seth Rogen Comedy

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
As nonthreatening as they are, I sure hope they don't follow through. The last thing we need right now is to be saddled with the post-war reconstruction of North Korea.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Lightknight said:
The thing is that North Korea is a growing problem. If they continue to advance their technology unabated their impotence can quickly change to lethality even if they don't have end-game capabilities. The social injustices of the nation alone is enough to warrant assistance. It's an de-facto hostage situation of an entire people.
I agree with all of those statements. I just don't get much of a sense that pretty much anyone saying "Bring it on" is mentally appending that statement with a silent, "Because then the citizens of your nation--or rather, the citizens who survive the war, since it is a sad but obvious truth that people die in wars--will find their situations much improved."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Seth Rogen isn't worth declaring war over. Now, if it was Will Ferrell, I'd be on their side.

CriticalMiss said:
This is serious business guys, if North Korea launched a missile with a nuclear warhead on it they could obliterate the part of the North Korean coast that it falls on after bits start falling off. Chinese knock-off Lego just wasn't designed for intercontinental flight.
Thankfully, it also makes for a poor nuclear detonation, so they're probably safe.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
JimB said:
Lightknight said:
The thing is that North Korea is a growing problem. If they continue to advance their technology unabated their impotence can quickly change to lethality even if they don't have end-game capabilities. The social injustices of the nation alone is enough to warrant assistance. It's an de-facto hostage situation of an entire people.
I agree with all of those statements. I just don't get much of a sense that pretty much anyone saying "Bring it on" is mentally appending that statement with a silent, "Because then the citizens of your nation--or rather, the citizens who survive the war, since it is a sad but obvious truth that people die in wars--will find their situations much improved."
Sure, wanting war for bloodsport is pure warmongering (definition-ally even) and hopefully a tragic misunderstanding of the devastation of war and the suffering of innocents. What's worse is that the soldiers are also kept in the dark about the real world. That's why in the case of war I'd really hope for precision assassination of N. Korea's leaders rather than all out war.

So we're entirely in agreement then.

Failsafe Operator

Mar 25, 2012
The US is a bully and will always be a bully. Reparations are in order to the people of North Korea for this insulting movie by the US. Social Justice for all.

Baddamobs

Aug 21, 2013
To be fair, it's like if a movie was made about assassinating Obama, and Obama or one of his representatives got kind of miffed about it: you can sort of see the reasons they are angry, since it's a movie about killing specifically them, so kind of understandable...
... though that said, I doubt he'd actually go to war over it...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
evilthecat said:
It's really fucking sad to see so many people condemning North Korean propaganda while spouting US propaganda. Invincible US military huh? Liberating the people of North Korea huh? Do I even need to mention that Iraq is about to be taken over by an al-Qaeda splinter group?

I should also add that the title is incorrect. There is no mention of war in the article quoted, it merely promises a "retaliation".
Oh, please, do tell me what 'swift and merciless retaliation' means if not some kind of act of war.

Also just cause the government is spitting that non sense, doesn't mean anyone buys it, cause generally, the US population has a really low opinion of their own government.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
You know, North Korea, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
You know what would be the funniest/most horrible thing? If this is how WWIII starts. Cause if we get into a war with North Korea there is a good chance it could snowball into a global conflict.

The beginning of the end is a Seth Rogen comedy. That is going to be really embarrassing when aliens study the charred ashes of our civilization.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Samsont said:
North Korea needs to get over itself, Fidel Castro was both a villain in, and nearly killed in a game where you play as the character trying to kill him ( Call of Duty: Black Ops, for those wondering ), and his only response was to say that he only looked at the depiction as America still being bitter about not being able to kill him. Not once did him or his brother threaten the united states, or even say anything even remotely in the territory of saying they were threatened or insulted.
Though the Cuban government did ban the game from being sold in that country. Understandable but no violence, just like how Germany banned it because there are Nazi banners in Kino der Toten.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
All this and yet politicians seem to remain convinced that gamers are the ones that can't tell reality from fantasy.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Lunar Templar said:
Oh, please, do tell me what 'swift and merciless retaliation' means if not some kind of act of war.
Well, for one, an "act of war" isn't the same thing as a declaration of war.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
evilthecat said:
Lunar Templar said:
Well, for one, an "act of war" isn't the same thing as a declaration of war.
Assuming this isn't just some publicity stunt on the part of the film makers, pretty sure no one is going to care about that difference if missiles start flying.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Considering how amazingly tight-assed North Korea and China are with what movies get by censors and who can have televisions and who can't (fact: There are 600 internet users in North Korea. Only 600) it's very unlikely any of Asia will know this exists or will want to see it. I mean, it looks like garbage.

Awwww, widdle North Korea is pretending it matters, and it isn't some little angry child. That's adorable; let's send flowers.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
Kimmy Jongers is just doing his chest puffing to impress his people again it seems (assuming this isn't some big PR stunt). I doubt it even really qualifies as news at this point.

Smolderin said:
Like waking from a dream that you always thought was reality. Most North Koreans don't even have a semblance of a clue of what the outside world is like...I remember reading and watching stories about N. Koreans who escaped and were absolutely blown away of how we progressed, not to mention the culture shock. Most North Koreans are even aware what kind of hellhole they actually live in, but they are not waiting for someone to come save them, their hopes have already been shattered. Ashame to, from what I saw, N. Koreans are talented people and could contribute much to the world if they were given the chance. As i said before, I don't advocate war...but if North Korea decided to be dumb and try something, I would fully support the liberation of the N. Korean people...even if some of them may not think it that way.
So you're saying North Korea is the Matrix?

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
It's things like this that makes me miss Saddam. We made a movie where he was Satan's homosexual lover, and all he did was ban it from ever showing in Iraq.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Okay North Korea. Go do your thing. Make sure to take your nappies and sippie cup with you.