Norwegian Mass Murderer Defends Gaming Habits

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I wouldn't really call it "one of the worst acts of mass murder ever committed." I mean, yeah, it's awful, but the world's seen some pretty bad mass murders.

Why is it relevant for the prosecutor to claim that he's "a financially bankrupt loser who spent years playing video games in his mother's home" anyway? Isn't enough that he killed 77 people?

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Just in case it wasn't already totally clear, playing games like Call of Duty does not improve your ability to shoot in real life. It's like staring at a blank page to practice reading. It looks similar but it is not an applicable exercise. Maybe someone can explain how they have used Call of Duty to improve their grouping, accuracy, posture, breathing, trigger control, grip, reaction time, follow through, and so on and so forth, but I don't expect much. Playing the game doesn't even teach you to load and operate a weapon. Do you prefer Weaver's or isosceles? Didn't Call of Duty teach you that?

I know this should be self-evident, but not everyone has shot a gun before. Just making sure it's clear.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Psychopath mass murderers defending... us? I can do without that, thank you.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Scrustle said:
If he had to move in with his mother because of financial hardship how did he have money to spend on a years worth of WoW subscriptions?

I guess it's useless to question the logic of this man given his actions.

(Oh yeah, 1000 posts. Go me!)
Well. 10? a month for wow compared to 1000? a month for an apartment...there is a slight difference.

Rooster Cogburn said:
Just in case it wasn't already totally clear, playing games like Call of Duty does not improve your ability to shoot in real life. It's like staring at a blank page to practice reading. It looks similar but it is not an applicable exercise. Maybe someone can explain how they have used Call of Duty to improve their grouping, accuracy, posture, breathing, trigger control, grip, reaction time, follow through, and so on and so forth, but I don't expect much. Playing the game doesn't even teach you to load and operate a weapon. Do you prefer Weaver's or isosceles? Didn't Call of Duty teach you that?

I know this should be self-evident, but not everyone has shot a gun before. Just making sure it's clear.
ABB said the exact same thing. He said he used MW mainly for practicing target acquisition and theorizing scenarios. He went to the shooting range to get a feel for weapon control and recoil. Media is a bit lax when it comes to details that can actually be useful... :\

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
I know it's weird isn't it? I read what he said about playing WoW and thought maybe he really is sane. Then he claimed to have trained using CoD and realized he's not just insane, he's schizophrenic.
Aren't I right in saying militaries across the world use computer simulations to train their soldiers?

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
What i don't get is why people in this thread can't understand the 'self-defence' part.

Put your mind into the state of crazy, guys. He believed that the 'invasion' of other religions and the useless of his government was bad for his country, and as such bad for him.
Going further, i imagine it wasn't hard for him to believe that it was a personal threat to his life, and as such the murder of a large group of people to spread his message was worth it.

He almost certainly now thinks of himself as a martyr, and all you people talking about killing him would only help his 'cause'.
He has won, because he spread his message so much that the world knows what it is, and he's being persecuted for his beliefs.

Sad, but true.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
It's actually kind of sick to see how much support this guy is getting. I've seen people calling the massacre a "justified act", and the only proper way of truly expressing his opinion. Establishing him as some kind of hero because he opposed the "Islamification" of the world with an act of "patriotism" or whatever is just... wrong.
I am from Norway. I hated what the guy did. I somewhat understand his "ideals", but think about it: mixed cultures have existed for a very, very long time. This doesn't make a difference whatsoever, and acting with violence doesn't solve the issue on his side.

Also, videogames didn't turn him into a psychopath. That's stupid. But it's still frightening to think about:
The guy said that he would have done it again if he could. He wanted to kill more people, and in no way regrets his actions. He's smart, and that just makes it all the more unsettling.
And he keeps getting attention. That is exactly what he wants, and it won't stop.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Sougo said:
The ONLY thing I don't get is WHY is his trial going to run for 10 WEEKS???
This trial is not just to decide whether he's guilty or not, but to learn.

If we just annihilated people whom created atrocities like this, we wouldn't learn what makes them tick. How they came to such extreme thoughts. He's told the judge that he met a handful of people in England whom encouraged his actions to a high degree, or who may also be plotting similar attacks.

Also, if interrogations like this are done off screen, we could have the media exaggerating, or making up events, distorting the real scenario at hand.

Bin Laden was shot on the spot hence we'll never know so many secrets he was holding in that head of his. I for one don't want this guy being silenced before we here every detail leading up to these sorrowful events.

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
Treblaine said:
describe cold blooded murder of almost 80 unarmed people as self-defence
Well, if you think he is deranged for it, you should lobby to capture and put most american politicians into mental institutions as well.

Many have argued similar for other murders. If the victim is left or not white, it's usually excused like this. That's why Breivik is doing it, he's copying a defense strategy that works.

In fact, I remember people on this very side downplaying gun violence as not a big deal. HMMMM.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
Not quite how his gaming habits were reported below.

"The revelation came as Breivik described how he became a deadly marksman by honing his gun skills by playing the violent Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare computer game."
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132002/Anders-Behring-Breivik-trial-Norwegian-mass-killer-played-violent-video-game-Call-Duty-16-hours-day.html

"Norway killer sharpened aim on computer games" (AP)

http://news.google.co.uk/news/story?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=R6c&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&q=breivik+game&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dbj7rP54nTTRWEMoA1Rme-kfvtgyM&ei=Q2GQT6q3HOmf0QWR_sSFAg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQqgIwAA

As per usual alarmist and clueless reporting. Just so disappointed how many respected publications (i.e not the mail above) are reporting as fact that you can improve your skills with a real gun from playing COD. Rather than reporting what he said and calling him out for being an idiot as what he is a saying would not work. You don't need great aim when unfortunately your victims don't have much of a chance to escape or fire back. And when you have two hours to walk around an island picking them off. All you need as a requirement for that, is serious metal issues....
If reporters and the media at large were about the truth friend, they'd being doing it for free. Truth doesn't sell.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Robert Ewing said:
Oooooh god, here it comes...
Bend Over, Here It Comes Again. People don't realize that gaming and real world violence is a correlation not a causual relationship- even the field of psychology has mixed reactions. I lack analogies here as I'm just so mad.

The Dutchess

Feb 24, 2011
One newspaper I read stated he had played the "violent" game World of Warcraft ...

I don't think he's insane. I think he's perfectly sane and killed in the name of his beliefs. A crusade if you will. He needs to go to jail. Although being drugged might be a worse torture in an asylum. I wish regular prisons and prisons for the criminally insane were as bad as you see in the movies. Much better deterrent and much better punishment imo ...

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Terramax said:
KeyMaster45 said:
I know it's weird isn't it? I read what he said about playing WoW and thought maybe he really is sane. Then he claimed to have trained using CoD and realized he's not just insane, he's schizophrenic.
Aren't I right in saying militaries across the world use computer simulations to train their soldiers?
I don't know, are you? I've heard of militaries using computer sims to train people on aircraft, submarines, and such. I have not heard anything significant about them using simulators to train soldiers with things like urban combat or accuracy. If they are I can guarantee you they sure as hell won't be using CoD; I'm pretty sure Duck Hunt would train you for better accuracy with a gun than that.