Norwegian Mass Murderer Defends Gaming Habits

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
So video games made him kill people?

Or is he talking about that song by Lana Del Rey? Because I heard that song and it made me want to kill someone.

Unfortunately, that someone was myself. God that song is depressing.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Saviordd1 said:
Great, now the worst murderer in the world is gonna be considered a gamer, great times ahead.

He's also a huge dick, just saying.
Great, now the worst murderer in history is going to be considered animal friendly. So important.

OT: It strikes me as rather weird that he would use COD of all things to prepare for combat. I mean, really? COD? I played MW2 for ages and I wouldnt know a gun if it danced into my room and lodged itself in my rectum.

Captcha: want more? No thanks captcha. 77 odd people was quite enough.
This right here. In no way does playing any first person shooter prepare you for firing a real life firearm. I have spent a good number of years around guns (primarily for my career) and can tell you that it doesn't help me in shooter games. I can hit the red at 100 yards with an AR-15 with no issues, yet I constantly finish with a negative K/D ratio in shooters. If the action was equal then doing one would train you for the other in either direction (first law of physics, every action has an equal and opposite reaction).

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
"urthermore, Breivik claimed he also moved back home to have more time for writing his manifesto, a 1,500 page collection of hate-filled rambles against multiculturalism in Europe and Islam, and that his supposed game addiction was just a cover for his other activities. But when questioned about his gaming hobbies, Breivik asserted that WoW held no influence over his plans for the July attack.

"I know it is important to you and the media that I played this for a year," Breivik told the court about his time playing World of Warcraft. "But it has nothing to do with July 22. It is not a world you are engulfed by. It is quite simply a hobby."

Breivik later stated said he spent several months in 2010 extensively playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, claiming that he used the first person shooter to help hone his shooting skills because of the in-game holographic sight. He used a similar device when he carried out his attack on Utoya Island.

"You could give the sight to your grandmother and she would become a supermarksman," Breivik stated.
"

Why is the cold calculating murderous bastard talking more sense than the psychiatrists and mainstream media mommy? Well aside from the whole bit about learning to shoot from COD that is.

Seriously, there is something terribly wrong here.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Wierdguy said:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?
If he was british... nah, even then.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
Not quite how his gaming habits were reported below.

"The revelation came as Breivik described how he became a deadly marksman by honing his gun skills by playing the violent Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare computer game."
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132002/Anders-Behring-Breivik-trial-Norwegian-mass-killer-played-violent-video-game-Call-Duty-16-hours-day.html

"Norway killer sharpened aim on computer games" (AP)

http://news.google.co.uk/news/story?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=R6c&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&q=breivik+game&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dbj7rP54nTTRWEMoA1Rme-kfvtgyM&ei=Q2GQT6q3HOmf0QWR_sSFAg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQqgIwAA

As per usual alarmist and clueless reporting. Just so disappointed how many respected publications (i.e not the mail above) are reporting as fact that you can improve your skills with a real gun from playing COD. Rather than reporting what he said and calling him out for being an idiot as what he is a saying would not work. You don't need great aim when unfortunately your victims don't have much of a chance to escape or fire back. And when you have two hours to walk around an island picking them off. All you need as a requirement for that, is serious metal issues....
I don't have time to read the whole thread, so this might be redundant, but anyway: Most of the mainstream media in Norway has completely ridiculed the notion that he got any kind of real-world expertise from the games, and that he's just trying to cover up the fact that he was a friendless loner who played 17 hours of WoW on New Years Eve.

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
Breivik later stated said he spent several months in 2010 extensively playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, claiming that he used the first person shooter to help hone his shooting skills because of the in-game holographic sight. He used a similar device when he carried out his attack on Utoya Island.

"You could give the sight to your grandmother and she would become a supermarksman," Breivik stated.

-

It's surprising that someone who managed to kill 77 people could think Call of Duty was in any way similar to ACTUALLY firing a weapon. It's not. At all.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
This guy is about as sick as they come. And he loves the media attention, which he is getting in way greater quantities then he could possibly have hoped for. This whole trial is messed up, because it has given Breivik opportunities to act out infront of the cameras(not to mention the victims, and they REALLY dont deserve this crap). I think he's fully aware that no trial in the world would set him free, so he's using this opportunity for public display, that for some bizarre and twisted reason has been given to him the way it has, to its fullest.

As for violent crimes and gaming: Doesnt matter much what Breivik says, the fact that he's played games and committed crimes will have conservatists eager to scream "Video games will create killer kids!111*mouthfoams*" in no time. Despite half a billion scientific studies that show violent games and violent behaviour are not linked.
But hey, its not like its the first time ideology has ignored something annoying as...sense.

Maybe next they'll reveal that Hitler was an avid chess player, link it to Magneto and go "games and entertainment of any form is the language of the devil!" Cant rule anything out with the media these days.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Well, at least we're not going to start getting backlash over this, or at least, less of it.
Also, think about it, some of us may have played online with this guy...
*shudder*
I didn't, as I don't have those games, but still, damn creepy thought...

The hell is wrong with the Captcha? I had to refresh about 50 times to get one that I could actually decipher.

Vornek

Jan 25, 2011
I'm Norwegian.

And I'd like to say that the way the media over here handles things is... annoying, to say the least.

They mention him everyday. Every single day. And just like the greatest joke can become shit after hearing it to many times (The cake is a lie). The most horrible tragedies can become ...mundane after hearing about it too many times. (Whom but surviving victims takes Nazis seriously anymore?) And a lot of Norwegians (at the very least in my area) has become so tired of hearing about this. We get it, he was bad man, now give him our strongest punishment or just shoot him and get it over with.

I'm gonna go off on a bit of an angry rant here.

Yesterday I heard a report from the trial. where the main focus was Breivik's gaming habits. And I cringed when I heard them say:
"[Breivik] spent many hours playing the popular strategy game World of Warcraft. And he also claims to have used the realistic shooting game Call of Duty." (Unsure which one but it doesn't really matter).
They have no idea what they are talking about. And it's annoying that games will get blamed (at least partially) for this.

And people still seem to expect some manner of remorse or regret in him. He is just a dude that has lost empathy for others. He killed a bunch of people in what he saw as some sort of twisted justice, and now he tries to shift the blame from himself to anything he can:

"Games helped me train, blame them."
"The general populace voted against what I think is correct, blame them."
"I am a member of the Knights Templar, (no seriously, he actually claimed this.) And thus I have some sort of moral high ground and you are wrong."
(not actual quotes, but this is what it sounds like)

He is an murderous idiot that tries to convince himself and in the process everybody else that he is not just a mass-murdering dumbass.

[/frustrated rant]

-V

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Huh.....alright, then.

It's pretty hard to take anything this guy says seriously, since he's obviously a bit of a psychopath. But it its interesting to here his take on video games, I guess.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Surprised there are still people confused about the 21/22 year thing. I thought it'd been explained enough by now.

Anyway, the guy's seriously screwed up in the head. In his twisted reasoning, I think he honestly believes that what he did was a necessary and morally justifiable thing. When he pleads self defence, I don't think he's doing it in the conventional way most people would think of.
Vornek said:
And people still seem to expect some manner of remorse or regret in him. He is just a dude that has lost empathy for others. He killed a bunch of people in what he saw as some sort of twisted justice,
^^Basically that

Hopefully he'll be locked up for good (and I'd be surprised if he didn't). I don't usually say that about criminals, but there's almost no way this guy could ever again be considered fit enough to be let back into society.

Paladin Anderson

Nov 21, 2011
Wierdguy said:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?
He claims self defense because he did it to "stop the increasing spread and world power of the Muslims" Those kids were at a camp funded by his country's version of the liberal party. He saw them as an indoctrinated threat.

He's a Christian terrorist.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Look at the power he amassed... He can point at anything - DnD, Mass Effect, Firefly and say that it played a crucial role in building his attitude and presto. People will start to treat those things with at leas caution and suspicion. It's best for the world to never ever hear anything about Breivik again. He is now probably even more dangerous than before. :\

MPerce said:
Huh.....alright, then.
It's pretty hard to take anything this guy says seriously, since he's obviously a bit of a psychopath. But it its interesting to here his take on video games, I guess.
"A bit" ? o_O

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I'm concerned he could get up to 21 years for murdering 77 people. 21 years.

He already said he'd do it again, I hope he get's locked up somewhere until he is dead.

Gingernerd

Jan 16, 2010
Argumentum ad hominem. His argument and reasons are not devalued because he is a murderer. I'm appalled by his actions and i totally see why people are calling him a monster, but in a lot of ways he seems sane (depending on what standards your judging him by.)