Norwegian Mass Murderer Defends Gaming Habits

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Tommy Toejam said:
Its a minor note, but he's not claiming self defence, hes calling "nødrett" its kinda hard to explain i guess, kinda like Obama went nuts and tried to nuke everyone and his chief of security shoots him in the head, of course this is just bullshit, but thats what his defence is based on, thought i'd just correct it. nødrett translates to emergency rights.
He says he has "nødrett" because europe is beeing, according to him, taken over by muslims, and that utøya was an indoctrination camp.
Put that way it seems totally reasonable.

Guy clearly created his own mythology about how the world works and staunchly believes in it. It's amazing how people can develop such a sharp understanding of the workings of politics and population migrations in the real world while playing WoW 16 hours a day.

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
If you have cause to kill 77 people in self defense, then you
MatsVS said:
kenu12345 said:
I have been reading on this and i hate that the max prison sentence he can serve is 22 years.
Even after 21 years, Breivik won't be released from prison if there is an overwhelming chance that he will pose further danger to society. And considering his extremist views and actions, that is most certainly the case. The Norwegian justice system is built around a system of rehabilitation, prevention and treatment, not revenge, and I would not have it any other way.
It seems to me that any issue that can't be fixed in, oh, ten years at most simply can't be fixed. I really can't imagine that someone who holds out against counselling and offers of drug treatment for 15 years would ever give in then and be ready a few years later... really, it seems odd that such large sentences would be given out, if rehabilitation was truly the entirety of the intent.

I for one find it difficult to concieve of a justice system where the penalties for one's crimes are not counted seperately and added... if you kill 77 innocent people (on purpose, knowing what you're doing, etc), I think you SHOULD end up with some ridiculously long sentence you could never hope to serve. Even if you killed these people one after another through a sniper sight, I believe is the case? It's not one action. It's 77 different counts of murder, 77 times you pulled that trigger and watched someone's life ebb away. Chances #2-78, and you don't get any more. Not in this life, anyway... there comes a point where the decision of whether to offer mercy falls on broader shoulders than just us here.

Gaming is, of course, completely incidental to this atrocity. People who cannot function in society for one reason or another may well be drawn to games as an escape, and a smaller subset of those may be drawn to mass murder, but to try to relate the two directly is clearly madness.

Erin McCreery

Apr 10, 2012
I wish the American Judicial system was more like that. Thank you for stating the truth so nicely. Revenge is a pointless act and I'm sure even 21 years in jail before they even look at parol wont be leading to release all things considered. I live in Alaska and there is a widely publicized case of a young women being kidnapped, I think the FBI getting involved is just an excuse to use the death penalty since our state doesn't do that. I don't think anyone has the moral high ground to end someone else's life like it's a side show.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Wierdguy said:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?
I think the claim is that he was acting in self defense because his attacks were to defend ethnic Norwegians. It's shaky at best, but I think that's the reasoning.

He has made much more insane claims than that though. The craziest yet is probably that the only way justice can be served is if Norway reinstates the death penalty and kills him or just lets him off entirely.

Larsirius

May 26, 2010
What came as a suprise to me, was that every statement from officials and experts on the field, was that they were certain that the games had next to no effects, and that he's just rambling. (I've watched the trial minute by minute a couple days, and the guys a wacko. Not psychotic, just messed up, iand totally devoid of empathy.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
2012 Wont Happen said:
Wierdguy said:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?
I think the claim is that he was acting in self defense because his attacks were to defend ethnic Norwegians. It's shaky at best, but I think that's the reasoning.

He has made much more insane claims than that though. The craziest yet is probably that the only way justice can be served is if Norway reinstates the death penalty and kills him or just lets him off entirely.
I don't see how that's crazy. I'm guessing his line of logic is that either the prosecutors see through his actions as a sort of martyr's sacrifice for the good of Norway - in which case his 77 killstreak would be a necessarily gruesome eye-opening sacrifice for the benefit of the remaining 5 million Norwegians - OR they would treat his crime at face value - as a arbitrary act of random killing with no "high" motivations. In which case such a heinous deed would only be punishable by death.

While we're at it I'm curious as to how his mind works. I've always been fascinated by how the fanatism of a man's mind works when he or she is ready to give up life for ideals.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
You know, for some reason I don't think we need someone like Breivik defending the medium. Not sure why.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
I just know certain papers here in the UK will emphasise the gaming thing as though it caused all of this. I'd rather us gamers weren't lumped into the same category as this evil, vile monster. I really can't quite believe his attitude throughout this, it's almost a sort of trolling, if trolling involved the mindless killing of DOZENS of innocent people.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
archont said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
Wierdguy said:

I don't see how that's crazy. I'm guessing his line of logic is that either the prosecutors see through his actions as a sort of martyr's sacrifice for the good of Norway - in which case his 77 killstreak would be a necessarily gruesome eye-opening sacrifice for the benefit of the remaining 5 million Norwegians - OR they would treat his crime at face value - as a arbitrary act of random killing with no "high" motivations. In which case such a heinous deed would only be punishable by death.

While we're at it I'm curious as to how his mind works. I've always been fascinated by how the fanatism of a man's mind works when he or she is ready to give up life for ideals.
It's crazy because his demand necessitates a change to the Norwegian justice system just to deal with his case. They haven't had a death penalty for over a hundred years.

Not only that, he is demanding that they change the justice system to kill him and it's not as if it is to get out of life in prison. Currently the maximum he can serve is 21 years. He will live to be released from prison.

And to figure out how the mind of somebody willing to die for an ideal works just talk to a United States marine. They are a lot more approachable and a hell of a lot more abundant than Breivik.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
2012 Wont Happen said:
It's crazy because his demand necessitates a change to the Norwegian justice system just to deal with his case. They haven't had a death penalty for over a hundred years.

Not only that, he is demanding that they change the justice system to kill him and it's not as if it is to get out of life in prison. Currently the maximum he can serve is 21 years. He will live to be released from prison.

And to figure out how the mind of somebody willing to die for an ideal works just talk to a United States marine. They are a lot more approachable and a hell of a lot more abundant than Breivik.
From a purely practical point of view it is kind of crazy to demand death penalty for a crime in a country which has abolished it over 100 years ago, you're right. Then again 1/3 of the posters here on this forum and elsewhere on the internet are demanding the very same crazy thing.

As for Marines I appreciate the suggestion but you've misinterpreted the mindset. Breivik's self-made mission was a one-way street leading to death or life in prison. Despite the risk being a soldier doesn't mean certainty of death. The kind of mindset I'm talking about is reflected in his quote
If you embrace death before you go into action, you will be ten times as potent
Captcha: do unto others - how relevant

Kelthurin

Jun 18, 2009
gigastar said:
Why is he even pleading not guilty? Everything he has said since the trial started has contributed in some way to extending his already very long prison sentence.

I also caught a mention that hes got something even more shocking to come. Assuming its not the "I'd do it again." i cant possibly think how this guy could dig a deeper hole for himself.

Wierdguy said:
I think his aim at this point is to make as much noise as possible. He knows hes going down, he is just using self defence as an excuse to buy time.

Oh, i answered my own question. Bonus points.
So wrong.
He's not pleading guilty, because he believes 110% in what he did, and what he's saying.

The reason he says he acted in self-defense is because he truly believes multiculturalism is killing the western culture. And he truly means it when he says there is a mass muslim conspiracy afoot aimed at infiltrating/converting.
He killed all those people to make us all "wake up".

So just to make it clear; the man doesn't care that he may be spending the remainder of his life in jail, or institutions. He sees himself as a martyr, or as the trigger for some sort of uprising to fight this "muslim conspiracy" he believes exists.
He's going through all of this to try to make himself heard, basically.

That's why he fought so hard against being branded as insane to begin with, because an insane person's ravings will just be dismissed as exactly that.

The man is deluded, of course, and should be locked up in isolation for the rest of his life.

But still;
Get informed before you make a comment about something you know nothing about.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
See if it were up to me, here's what I'd do.

I'd cut off his legs right above the knee, then his fingers along with mangling his hands, then I'd take out his lower jaw and tongue.

I want him to live in and see a world where he's unable to spread his messages of hate, and is forced to see and hear how everything he thinks is wrong with the world is still going on - and there's nothing he can do to stop or speak against it.

He's insane. Utterly criminally insane. He needs to rot in a loony-bin for the rest of his days, not die or go to prison but to be declare insane, have everyone agree that he's a mindless lunatic and move on, his message and legacy forgotten.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
NightmareLuna said:
Saviordd1 said:
Great, now the worst murderer in the world is gonna be considered a gamer, great times ahead.

He's also a huge dick, just saying.
Yes he is much worse than say... Hitler (Godwin's law, yay!)...

And so what if he is a gamer? Does that affect you in any way? Of course it doesn't. If he played Tennis, would you think all the tennis players in the world would rage?

He might be a huge dick, but your statement makes no sense at all.
Except it is.

Idiots will use him as an excuse for VIDEO GAMES CAUSE VIOLENCE PEOPLE.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
Treblaine said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Not quite how his gaming habits were reported below.

"The revelation came as Breivik described how he became a deadly marksman by honing his gun skills by playing the violent Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare computer game."
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132002/Anders-Behring-Breivik-trial-Norwegian-mass-killer-played-violent-video-game-Call-Duty-16-hours-day.html

"Norway killer sharpened aim on computer games" (AP)

http://news.google.co.uk/news/story?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=R6c&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&q=breivik+game&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dbj7rP54nTTRWEMoA1Rme-kfvtgyM&ei=Q2GQT6q3HOmf0QWR_sSFAg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQqgIwAA

As per usual alarmist and clueless reporting. Just so disappointed how many respected publications (i.e not the mail above) are reporting as fact that you can improve your skills with a real gun from playing COD. Rather than reporting what he said and calling him out for being an idiot as what he is a saying would not work. You don't need great aim when unfortunately your victims don't have much of a chance to escape or fire back. And when you have two hours to walk around an island picking them off. All you need as a requirement for that, is serious mental issues....
I can trust the courts (somewhat) but you can't trust the media not to not resort to sensationalist misrepresentation.

I'm still curious, if some expert in mental illness and criminal law in Norway can explain how this guy is not insane. He is clearly deranged to describe cold blooded murder of almost 80 unarmed people as self-defence, or is it just that he is "not insane enough". Is the only type of insanity they would have accepted was if he genuinely was so deranged he thought he was shooting at nothing but balloons and didn't know what he was doing. Is that it?

At the very least, Brevik's state of mind doesn't seem to represent nor reflect any wider political sentiment, it's quite clearly his own twisted mind that brought this about, not some wider events. This is as irrelevant to politics as a serial rapist saying he did it all to raise awareness for spina bifida. It's a complete non-sequiter.

as a requirement for that, is serious metal issues
The same way most people working at concentration camps could. A fucked up ideology, and that is what the media should focus on, facistic discriminating rethoric that is currently on the rise in Europe,(again).

Instead the media wants to have an easy solution, like mental illness or video games. And yes he is very narsissistic (believes he is a commander in a made up militia) and have probably used games, films and books as inspiration, but the media mustent fear to adress the issues that his ideology thrives on just because that is what this sad man wants.

The worst thing that can happend to these fundamentalist ideas is for them to be scrutinized and put into debate, then they are shown for what they truly are, bigotry, racism ,elitism and fear, if they are ignored we could get a new nazism. Breivik used violence against the people who can defeat his ideas with reason.

I met one of the survivours from utøya at a pub, this 23 year old thin pretty girl(why do you think I talked to her?) ,was shot 5 times because she not only tolerated, but loved everyone. I am not even exagurating, she greets absolutely everyone with a smile, but she is no hippie , she is ambitious, smart and her beliefs are based thourougly in the realities of life. She is not mentgally unscathed but there where no naivety that got destroyed that day, but a confirmation of her ideals importance that grew. If the other kids at that island where just half of what this girl is, this loss was much greater than the cold number of 77.The world needs people like this.

And another thing I noticed about her; this is how she always says goodbye to everyone:

"Remember that you are fantastic"

Yes, she made an impression...

Rob Heywood

Feb 4, 2012
To be fair if he killed 77 people here in New Zealand he would probably be given 23 od years 16-18 of which he would serve maybe. This is a real piss justice system.