Norwegian Mass Murderer Defends Gaming Habits

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Norwegian Mass Murderer Defends Gaming Habits

Anders Breivik denies prosecutor's claims he was a friendless loner.

On trial for killing 77 people in July of last year in one of the Anders Breivik [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks] recently refuted claims from a prosecutor that he was a financially bankrupt loser who spent years playing video games while living in his mother's home.

Before committing the attacks that claimed the lives several dozen people, most of whom were teenagers attending a summer camp on the Norwegian island of Utoya, Breivik said he moved back in with his mother in late 2006 to save money after an investment setback. He then spent the next year playing World of Warcraft, sometimes for up to 16 hours a day.

Furthermore, Breivik claimed he also moved back home to have more time for writing his manifesto, a 1,500 page collection of hate-filled rambles against multiculturalism in Europe and Islam, and that his supposed game addiction was just a cover for his other activities. But when questioned about his gaming hobbies, Breivik asserted that WoW held no influence over his plans for the July attack.

"I know it is important to you and the media that I played this for a year," Breivik told the court about his time playing World of Warcraft. "But it has nothing to do with July 22. It is not a world you are engulfed by. It is quite simply a hobby."

Breivik later stated said he spent several months in 2010 extensively playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, claiming that he used the first person shooter to help hone his shooting skills because of the in-game holographic sight. He used a similar device when he carried out his attack on Utoya Island.

"You could give the sight to your grandmother and she would become a supermarksman," Breivik stated.

Breivik's trial began on April 16th, and is expected to run approximately 10 weeks. Breivik has admitting to committing the killings, but stated that he acted in "self defense."

Source: New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/20/world/europe/norwegian-says-attack-was-in-the-works-for-years.html]

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
If he had to move in with his mother because of financial hardship how did he have money to spend on a years worth of WoW subscriptions?

I guess it's useless to question the logic of this man given his actions.

(Oh yeah, 1000 posts. Go me!)

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Not quite how his gaming habits were reported below.

"The revelation came as Breivik described how he became a deadly marksman by honing his gun skills by playing the violent Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare computer game."
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132002/Anders-Behring-Breivik-trial-Norwegian-mass-killer-played-violent-video-game-Call-Duty-16-hours-day.html

"Norway killer sharpened aim on computer games" (AP)

http://news.google.co.uk/news/story?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=R6c&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&q=breivik+game&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dbj7rP54nTTRWEMoA1Rme-kfvtgyM&ei=Q2GQT6q3HOmf0QWR_sSFAg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQqgIwAA

As per usual alarmist and clueless reporting. Just so disappointed how many respected publications (i.e not the mail above) are reporting as fact that you can improve your skills with a real gun from playing COD. Rather than reporting what he said and calling him out for being an idiot as what he is a saying would not work. You don't need great aim when unfortunately your victims don't have much of a chance to escape or fire back. And when you have two hours to walk around an island picking them off. All you need as a requirement for that, is serious metal issues....

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Why is he even pleading not guilty? Everything he has said since the trial started has contributed in some way to extending his already very long prison sentence.

I also caught a mention that hes got something even more shocking to come. Assuming its not the "I'd do it again." i cant possibly think how this guy could dig a deeper hole for himself.

Wierdguy said:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?
I think his aim at this point is to make as much noise as possible. He knows hes going down, he is just using self defence as an excuse to buy time.

Oh, i answered my own question. Bonus points.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Ok so he killed 77 people and deserves whatever he gets... but at least he tried to call bullshit on reports insinuating that gaming had anything to do with it.

At least until that last part. If I was into conspiracies, I'd be calling shenanigans on him suddenly admitting that he used CoD as a training tool. But I'm not.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Great, now the worst murderer in the world is gonna be considered a gamer, great times ahead.

He's also a huge dick, just saying.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
AdamRBi said:
Ok so he killed 77 people and deserves whatever he gets... but at least he tried to call bullshit on reports insinuating that gaming had anything to do with it.

At least until that last part. If I was into conspiracies, I'd be calling shenanigans on him suddenly admitting that he used CoD as a training tool. But I'm not.
Thing is he admitted that it taught him how to SHOOT. Not how to KILL. There's a big difference. You can spend all your life shooting moving plastic targets and become the most amazing marksman in the world, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if you're not prepared to kill someone.

Course most people won't notice the difference and take that statement to mean that CoD is evil and teaches people to be killing machines.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Games used as a tool to "train" for his mass murder spree. Just like making a computer simulation or drawing a map.... Its the Miyagi effect where the tool is just a tool, and the person using said tool is still responsible for his/her actions.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Screamarie said:
AdamRBi said:

Thing is he admitted that it taught him how to SHOOT. Not how to KILL. There's a big difference. You can spend all your life shooting moving plastic targets and become the most amazing marksman in the world, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if you're not prepared to kill someone.

Course most people won't notice the difference and take that statement to mean that CoD is evil and teaches people to be killing machines.
That's actually an extremely valid point and, honestly, something I myself hadn't even really considered much before. In retrospect, tt was an inkling that I had danced around and come up in several of my own thoughts about this sort of thing but it's quite nice to see it so plainly stated. :)

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I was reading in the newspaper that when they played his video of him ranting on about multiculturalism he started crying. A lip reader then watched him as he leaned over and whispered to his lawyer "It's OK, I'm fine. It's just an emotional film"

This man is simply a monster with no remorse for his victims or their families and he deserves everything he gets and more.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
I have been reading on this and i hate that the max prison sentence he can serve is 22 years.
Btw he says he is not guilty because he was "protecting" the nation from other religions.
I hate this monster.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
kenu12345 said:
I have been reading on this and i hate that the max prison sentence he can serve is 22 years.
Even after 21 years, Breivik won't be released from prison if there is an overwhelming chance that he will pose further danger to society. And considering his extremist views and actions, that is most certainly the case. The Norwegian justice system is built around a system of rehabilitation, prevention and treatment, not revenge, and I would not have it any other way.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
GamerMage said:
I saw this and thought "I may be psycotic,but don't my intelligence. It is just a hobby."
Its a sad day when a pychotic mass murderer appears to have more common sense than the media.

On topic:

However this guy is completely sick and twisted. I don't think Norway has a death penalty but really this guy needs one.