Norwegian Mass Murderer Defends Gaming Habits

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
*sighs in relief* So that means playing RPG's and Zelda titles will not make me break into other people houses and destroy stuff? YES! I can game again!

LadyDeadly

Mar 5, 2011
he played COD to home his shooting skills?! yes, i played cooking mama to help me in the kitchen, THIS GUY IS AN ARSE.

its a fucking shame that the maximum sentence is 22 years. last thing we need are murders release back into society. damn it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
Not quite how his gaming habits were reported below.

"The revelation came as Breivik described how he became a deadly marksman by honing his gun skills by playing the violent Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare computer game."
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132002/Anders-Behring-Breivik-trial-Norwegian-mass-killer-played-violent-video-game-Call-Duty-16-hours-day.html

"Norway killer sharpened aim on computer games" (AP)

http://news.google.co.uk/news/story?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=R6c&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&q=breivik+game&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dbj7rP54nTTRWEMoA1Rme-kfvtgyM&ei=Q2GQT6q3HOmf0QWR_sSFAg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQqgIwAA

As per usual alarmist and clueless reporting. Just so disappointed how many respected publications (i.e not the mail above) are reporting as fact that you can improve your skills with a real gun from playing COD. Rather than reporting what he said and calling him out for being an idiot as what he is a saying would not work. You don't need great aim when unfortunately your victims don't have much of a chance to escape or fire back. And when you have two hours to walk around an island picking them off. All you need as a requirement for that, is serious mental issues....
I can trust the courts (somewhat) but you can't trust the media not to not resort to sensationalist misrepresentation.

I'm still curious, if some expert in mental illness and criminal law in Norway can explain how this guy is not insane. He is clearly deranged to describe cold blooded murder of almost 80 unarmed people as self-defence, or is it just that he is "not insane enough". Is the only type of insanity they would have accepted was if he genuinely was so deranged he thought he was shooting at nothing but balloons and didn't know what he was doing. Is that it?

At the very least, Brevik's state of mind doesn't seem to represent nor reflect any wider political sentiment, it's quite clearly his own twisted mind that brought this about, not some wider events. This is as irrelevant to politics as a serial rapist saying he did it all to raise awareness for spina bifida. It's a complete non-sequiter.

as a requirement for that, is serious metal issues

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Wierdguy said:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?
From what I read of his manifesto awhile back (yes, I love to read crazy bullshit, I have the Unabomber's manifesto on my bookshelf. To be honest Breivik's manifesto is terrible in contrast, he repeats everything over and over again while the Unabomber actually had some rationalization for his actions) he's probably arguing that on some kind of cultural grounds, i.e. the 'Christian' culture of Norway is being destroyed by multiculturalism allowed by 'liberal' leaders. Thus he's defending himself and his culture from some kind of invaders.

He's also looking to be made a martyr to some extent. He's specifically said that he thinks that Norway should re-establish the death penalty and that the choice should be between freedom or execution.

Though it's almost funny that he's calling out the 'video games made him do it' people.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Treblaine said:
I'm still curious, if some expert in mental illness and criminal law in Norway can explain how this guy is not insane. He is clearly deranged to describe cold blooded murder of almost 80 unarmed people as self-defence, or is it just that he is "not insane enough". Is the only type of insanity they would have accepted was if he genuinely was so deranged he thought he was shooting at nothing but balloons and didn't know what he was doing. Is that it?
Because the problem is that people like this don't fit into any clear mental illness that would be required for them to be considered insane, as well as (and I'm not sure if this applies to Norway) you generally have to prove that you were not aware what you were doing was legally wrong (morals aren't considered) - he's already admitted that he was fully aware he was breaking the law. Not helped by the fact that numerous douchebags with absolutely nothing wrong with them but greed or selfishness have tried to claim insanity before, and it creates a climate where claiming insanity is seen as a cop-out to avoid prison (having seen what mental instituions can do to people, it really isn't btw).

For the record though, I agree with you - anyone that can casually murder almost 100 unarmed people and then claim "meh, would have killed more given the chance" is clearly batshit crazy, even if they don't have anything specific.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
LadyDeadly said:
he played COD to home his shooting skills?! yes, i played cooking mama to help me in the kitchen, THIS GUY IS AN ARSE.

its a fucking shame that the maximum sentence is 22 years. last thing we need are murders release back into society. damn it.
Apparently that's why the prosecution is going for the insanity thing - if the jury agrees then they can lock him up "for as long as he's still a danger to society", which will hopefully mean forever...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Wait, his irl gun sight autotargets? That's pretty snazzy.

I mean, wow he's a horrible person.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
At least not all media outlets are steaming into the "he plays video games therefore they're to blame" rhetoric.

Forbes has a nice little piece on the absurdity of that 'logic': http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/04/19/the-idiocy-of-blaming-video-games-for-the-norway-massacre/

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
kenu12345 said:
I have been reading on this and i hate that the max prison sentence he can serve is 22 years.
Btw he says he is not guilty because he was "protecting" the nation from other religions.
I hate this monster.
22 years before parole hearings, not 22 years before auto-release.

Charles Manson has the same deal (he was about the same age as this guy when arrested) and has had repeated Parole hearings and repeatedly been denied.

As to my feelings on this monster, I remember the parable of Moby Dick, how a man like Captain Ahab could become consumed tying to enact retribution on a being that does not know reason, and the futility in that. I think Brevik is a monster like an animal beyond reason, deep down in his brain the central reasoning and cause and effect circuitry isn't there, so that largely he fails - in my book - key classifications of being a real human, like how someone who is brain dead isn't really alive any more. He's like a malfunctioning android, to be hated only in the sense that a dog that goes rabid and mauls a child should be hated.

Brevik should be destroyed only to prevent him doing it again, but frankly it would be just as good if he was locked up where he can't hurt anyone.

I don't think he necessarily got any glee from his killing, so I don't think he'll get any satisfaction in reliving his memories. If anything, keeping him alive the guilt may finally sink in. And that, I think would be a better punishment than annihilating his consciousness, if there is any guilt in his mind give it 50-60 years to fester.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
weirdguy said:
Wait, his irl gun sight autotargets? That's pretty snazzy.
LOL! That's what I was thinking... maybe he developed a bionic arm that can snap to ADS and onto a target in a fraction of a second...

But back on topic: What a murdering fuckwad. Self defence? FFS...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Treblaine said:
you can't trust the media not to not resort to sensationalist misrepresentation.

The opinions are mixed. Two psychologists, one says he's sane the other insane. so It's up to the judge to decide.

Anders wants to be sent to prison because then his "mission" will be successful and his points will have some validity. While the prosecutors wants him to be declared insane because then his mission would have failed and his points are made invalid.

Don't forget. Anders is a martyr , he is willing to suffer so long as his beliefs are heard and believed.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Buretsu said:
Anyone else thinks it sad that it's the unrepentant mass murderer who's speaking more logic than the media?
I know it's weird isn't it? I read what he said about playing WoW and thought maybe he really is sane. Then he claimed to have trained using CoD and realized he's not just insane, he's schizophrenic.

--EDIT--
He's that Hannibal Lecter brand of crazy. I imagine years from now he'll be sitting in a jail cell helping the Norwegian equivalent of an FBI agent named Clarice.

God it's gonna be awesome.

Dreadjaws

Nov 29, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
He's also a huge dick, just saying.
Oooohhh, I read that sentence totally wrong, and I thought "What? How does he know and why does he feel like mentioning it?".

Anyway, monster doesn't even begin to describe this guy. And self-defense is the dumbest excuse he could have possibly given. He could have said "The ghosts made me do it" and it wouldn't have sound any stupider. My only assumption is that he did it in order to confuse people into thinking he was actually mentally challenged instead of evil.

And yeah, of course the media is going to take advantage to blame this on videogames, as they usually do like the ignorant a**holes they are. And the fact that the guy is being reasonable about WoW (claiming it's only a hobby and not a magic spell that makes people forget it's not the real world) is not helping at all, because they will ignore his comments as if they were the ravings of a madman.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Anders Breivik recently refuted claims from a prosecutor that he was a financially bankrupt loser who spent years playing video games while living in his mother's home.

Breivik said he moved back in with his mother in late 2006 to save money after an investment setback. He then spent the next year playing World of Warcraft, sometimes for up to 16 hours a day.
Makes sense to me...

personion

Dec 6, 2010
Well at least someone's defending us. Sure, it's a horrible mass murdering psychopath, but you have to start somewhere, right?

Jan 27, 2011
........Self defence? REALLY? He's claiming SELF DEFENSE?

......Vat? That claim should be laughed out of court on the spot. How do 60+ unarmed kids at a political summer camp, having fun present a danger to your life? HOW?!

...GOD, I hope they throw the book at him, declare him insane, and turn him into a mindless vegetable post haste.

Self defense....Good gravy... >_<

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
Scrustle said:
If he had to move in with his mother because of financial hardship how did he have money to spend on a years worth of WoW subscriptions?

I guess it's useless to question the logic of this man given his actions.

(Oh yeah, 1000 posts. Go me!)
On it's most expensive payment plan (monthly) World of Warcraft will set you back Three Euro a week. No matter how financially destitute you are, you can afford it.

Not that that changes the fact that this guy is a horrible person, of course. With cases like this, it's almost a pity that the old arts of torture are lost to history. Almost.

Edit: Woo, 100 posts! Not as impressive as yours Scrustle, but a start. Now I have to go decide on an avatar!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
kenu12345 said:
I have been reading on this and i hate that the max prison sentence he can serve is 22 years.
Btw he says he is not guilty because he was "protecting" the nation from other religions.
I hate this monster.
To me that that's the max time he can is beyond obscene... guy's like him are the reason for the death penalty or the very least life in prison.

OT: There's no way in hell they'll buy this crap defense, they just can't.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I'm some one who consider herself a right wing person, but that guy need to be hang, what he dis is unfotgivable