Norwegian Mass Murderer Defends Gaming Habits

Xifel

Nov 28, 2007
Although, according to Swedish sources, he said he trained with the games, but on further questions from the attorney about the violence in the games, he did deny that they caused him to do what he did, and that he knew what she (the attorney) was trying imply.

Jesus, this guys brings up some serious feeling in me. First I was fascinated but now I just fell... scared. For what he represents. That it was so close to us. I feel sick...

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Scrustle said:
If he had to move in with his mother because of financial hardship how did he have money to spend on a years worth of WoW subscriptions?

I guess it's useless to question the logic of this man given his actions.
WoW is a fair bit cheaper than rent, believe it or not.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
That article doesn't have comments, but check this one: http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/19/world/europe/norway-breivik-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

You'll notice there's not a single complaint about call of duty, aside from one comment from a gamer laughing at him for using CoD and teamwork in the same sentence. It's not 2001 anymore; Hilary Clinton and Jack Thompson are no longer colluding to get rid of violent videogames. We've won. If there's any videogame related sensationalism going on, it's gaming news sites that whip up their userbase by implying a long dead controversy is still an issue.

Xifel

Nov 28, 2007
dalek sec said:
I have been reading on this and i hate that the max prison sentence he can serve is 22 years.
Just wanted to answer that: 21 year is the max sentence in traditional jail, if he is considered mentally healthy.
If he is declared mentally sick he can get sentenced closed psychiatric treatment for his entire life (or until he is declared healthy)

However! In Norway they have something called förvaring (eng "storage"). After a sentence is nearly finished they court can review a person to see if there is any risk for the person in question, or if the person in question is a threat to the public. If so, the person could be in "storage" for 5 more year.
This could be repeated indefinably. So, since he is probably the most hated person in Norway, and clearly is a threat to the public (said he would do it again, and show any sign of regret) it is very very unlikely he ever get out, as he could get additional years every 5 years.

Sorry for bad english, I'm not so good at legal stuff in english.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Can someone seriously assassinate this guy already? I can deal with monsters, but this guy killed 77 people and isn't even gonna be confined in jail for the rest of his life. From the sounds of it, he is treating this like it's non-chalant.

The way he talked about the holographic sight... fucking piece of shit.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Xifel said:
dalek sec said:
I have been reading on this and i hate that the max prison sentence he can serve is 22 years.
Just wanted to answer that: 21 year is the max sentence in traditional jail, if he is considered mentally healthy.
If he is declared mentally sick he can get sentenced closed psychiatric treatment for his entire life (or until he is declared healthy)

However! In Norway they have something called förvaring (eng "storage"). After a sentence is nearly finished they court can review a person to see if there is any risk for the person in question, or if the person in question is a threat to the public. If so, the person could be in "storage" for 5 more year.
This could be repeated indefinably. So, since he is probably the most hated person in Norway, and clearly is a threat to the public (said he would do it again, and show any sign of regret) it is very very unlikely he ever get out, as he could get additional years every 5 years.

Sorry for bad english, I'm not so good at legal stuff in english.
Ahh, at least that's some small comfort. But still...

Oh, and your English is better than mine is half the time.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Not that big of a deal, only ignorant people will use this to attack gaming and they were already attacking it anyway. The only way a game could help you, would be with hand-eye coordination, it's not that hard to aim a gun in the first place, especially short range, I could hit short range targets consistently when I was like 14, he didn't 'hone' shit.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Seriously Norway you can't let this guy live. Slaughtering one person is evil.......multiply that by nearly 80. They need to put him to death for justice against the families affected by this. I mean most of them were children; that is just sick.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I know this is serious and pretty sad, but the part where he said it was in 'self defence' made me laugh. You can't kill 77 people in self defence, unless you're using a rocket launcher to stop your assailant, and you find out you can't aim for shit.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
The news source I heard this from first said it was Modern Warfare 2, you guys sure you got this one right?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
Buretsu said:
Anyone else thinks it sad that it's the unrepentant mass murderer who's speaking more logic than the media?
I know it's weird isn't it? I read what he said about playing WoW and thought maybe he really is sane. Then he claimed to have trained using CoD and realized he's not just insane, he's schizophrenic.

--EDIT--
He's that Hannibal Lecter brand of crazy. I imagine years from now he'll be sitting in a jail cell helping the Norwegian equivalent of an FBI agent named Clarice.

God it's gonna be awesome.
Hannibal Lecter was brilliant, I dispute crazy as he is completely lucid and is aware of his actions and the world's reaction. This guy is just crazy with some intelligence. And FPS gaming has actually proven to include hand-eye co-ordination, so theoretically plausible. His arguement while debatably has merit, his actions based on that are completely out of line.

He is not a monster, IMO because a monster feeds on the suffering of his victims, this guy is just a nut with guns...

Would fit in well with the stereotyped American who 'don't call 911'.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
I just have to laugh at these terrorists.

9/11-what's the best way to convince the US to get out of the Middle East and stop helping Israel? Make the matter personal. Doh!

This guy-what's the best way to protect his country from evil immigrants? Kill a bunch of native children. Doh!

Typical egotistical thinking. "Hey, if I just slap it with my dick hard enough, people will be so impressed with my dick and my slapping they will bow to me and my agenda." Dumbass.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
The ONLY thing I don't get is WHY is his trial going to run for 10 WEEKS???

Isn't shooting 69 kids at point blank range without a hint of remorse enough to lock you up for good? I mean, its not like its a question of whether hes guilty or not. If anything is in question, its his sanity, and that should be determined by a psychiatrist.

Let him speak his defense. Then remind him that he murdered children in cold blood, lock him up, throw away the key and get to the next court case in line.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
Can someone seriously assassinate this guy already? I can deal with monsters, but this guy killed 77 people and isn't even gonna be confined in jail for the rest of his life. From the sounds of it, he is treating this like it's non-chalant.

The way he talked about the holographic sight... fucking piece of shit.
Right now I'd say the worst thing that could happen to the guy is for him to be treated humanely and within the scope of the current legal system. He wants a platform for his retarded conservative views and baying for his blood only helps him with that.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Wierdguy said:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?
DVS BSTrD said:
Too bad there is Norway the general public is going to take him seriously though.
That was painful.

Toombs disapproves -4

OT: Dude's a monster. Move along.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I feel like there's gonna be a shitstorm coming soon.. I don't know why, I just do. This guy isn't helping the whole "Video Games do not cause violence" thing at all. And FFS,really? Playing CoD helps you shoot better? If so, since I'm pretty good at battlefield, i can probably be a regular soldier. -_-

dracomanm

Nov 21, 2009
He's a psycopath that completely lost track of reality and moral sense, why are they even taking ANYTHING he says seriously?

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
It costs around 20,000 USD to incarcerate a man for a year. Norway should make a "budget cut" and give him a short fall with a sudden stop.

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Asuka Soryu said:
I know this is serious and pretty sad, but the part where he said it was in 'self defence' made me laugh. You can't kill 77 people in self defence, unless you're using a rocket launcher to stop your assailant, and you find out you can't aim for shit.
Or you're the US military: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

I don't like to be/ am not really anti-american, but fuck that country needs to sign up to the international court already.