Norwegian Mass Murderer Defends Gaming Habits

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Paul Goodman, thank goodness. Can you imagine if Grey Carter got to this first? He'd slap his own opinion into every line, like always.

Anyway, Anders wants everyone to take him seriously I guess, which is why he's defending himself in this manner. As for self-defense, while it shows a blatant misunderstanding of the law, it's a point he's trying to make about "blacks" and "mixed-race mongrels" intruding on his way of life in a way that would eventually kill the white man. Don't forget, for all his manifestos he's still just a militant racist like anyone with the Confederate Flag in their bedroom.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
jovack22 said:
Because a man who murdered so many people needs a "fair trial" after he admitted his guilt....
Do you understand what 'fair trial' means?

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
I would question whether or not he actually learned much about guns from Call of Duty. But tactics, snap-judgements in the heat of battle, processing large amounts of important visual information... that I can see.

sinn3r said:
I love how everybody is like "yeah ♥♥♥♥ fair trail. kill him.".

Makes me believe in our "civilization".
I like it, it gives me insight on how our politicans keep getting elected

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Scrustle said:
Oh yeah, 1000 posts. Go me!
I offer my congratulations and a firm handshake.

If he keeps this up it will reveal all of us as the insane potential murderers we secretly are.[/sarcasm]

Its hard to believe that he actually thought CoD would improve his "skills". I would imagine he is saying this to exaggerate the planning he put into the whole thing. He's just a CoD fan. If he wasn't insane he would have gotten into politics instead of shooting people with opposing political views.

EDIT: 777 posts! WOOOOO

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
So... He's guilty right? Why does this trial need to go on longer? No one will miss him, no I'm not suggesting the death penalty, but throw him in an island, no one will listen to him then.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
The guy is in my opinion - a complete nut. The best thing the world can do is to stick this guy in the nearest madhouse for a nice long time. In addition to this the media along with the rest of us will do well to pay him no heed so he can't troll us like the sick bastard he is.

People like him are best dealt with and forgotten about.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Denamic said:
jovack22 said:
Because a man who murdered so many people needs a "fair trial" after he admitted his guilt....
Do you understand what 'fair trial' means?
Of course I do. And he is getting far more than he deserves. I don't agree with the death penalty in his case, it would be too good for him...

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
Hmm, I'm up to page 3 of the thread and it seems to me that if you were going to 'use an FPS to train', you'd probably be using it to desensitize yourself and learn to focus on the act of repetitively shooting at targets, rather than learning to use guns proper, which of course you'd do at a shooting range..

And I've heard of the US army using FPS's to recruit people/do some training..

I also doubt that Brevik would fit most definitions of insane, even if what he did was extremely callous - keep in mind that maybe 1% or so of the population fits at least some of the criteria of being a psychopath - it's no surprise that there'd be a bell curve for compassion across the population after all.

It also doesn't help that you have islamic fundamentalists and/or terrorists being as extremist as he was, for example, calling upon people to kill Salman Rushdie or that cartoonist who depicted the prophet mohammed as a dog http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_Vilks_Muhammad_drawings_controversy.

Unfortunately extremism tends to breed extremism on same or opposite sides of a divide by spreading fear. That is coupled with significant(?) immigration of people who identify as Islamic into Europe, due to relaxed entry guidelines, in part due to people within Europe seeking unskilled labor to do less fulfilling but necessary jobs like cleaning for example. Also, these people are reputed to have larger families in part due to cultural expectations, since they're not leaving those behind and the demographics of Europe could be quite different in a generation. Irrational and perhaps not quite so irrational fears about cultural incompatibilities - e.g. aspects of sharia law may not be so compatible with increasingly secular states can ramp up paranoia in people who feel that when they're much older, they and their children could become an oppressed minority in their own country.

Personally, I think that if properly handled, with zero tolerance by fair laws for violence or racial/social/religious hate speech/inequities of either locals or immigrants, a society can become stronger through immigration, rather than destructively fractured. In a generation or two, we could all be interbreeding and tolerant of each other. The temptation to remain in cultural/ethnic enclaves or slums, isolating ourselves from the other is something that has to be addressed however.

So I can sort of understand the point of view that he's propagating, but I don't agree with it and think that if you're going to mass murder people without regret, then you need to be taken down permanently or locked up permanently. His point of view is born of fear and bears similarity to that of Hitler or various white supremacist communities and such intolerance should not be tolerated overall, not while more open minded approaches can be attempted.

Hopefully this incident will lead to people taking this potential problem seriously and addressing it, rather than simply verbally lambasting him as a 'madman' and sweeping it under the carpet. Or talking about torturing him to death or by keeping him permanently in jail/solitary. Since when did cruelty make the world a better place. Just put him out of everyone's misery quickly and cleanly imo.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
ThunderCavalier said:
Mikeyfell said:
Self defense against 77 people?
Well 77 people could kill me so I'm inclined to believe him.

I'm glad to see that a mass murderer is defending gaming, because if we can't even get them to stick up for us we're doomed as a culture.

This guy also wrote a book. I'm surprised that writers aren't being associated with mass murder.

Seriously Escapist, why do you run pieces that serve no purpose but to demonize gaming.
You should run more articles that demonize books and movies just to balance the score.
Uh... I think you're missing a few points here.

Namely:

WMDogma said:
Before committing the attacks that claimed the lives several dozen people, most of whom were teenagers [Editor Note: I'm pretty sure these teenagers were also unarmed.] attending a summer camp on the Norwegian island of Utoya...

... Furthermore, Breivik claimed he also moved back home to have more time for writing his manifesto, a 1,500 page collection of hate-filled rambles against multiculturalism in Europe and Islam [read: hate-filled bigotry]...

Breivik later stated said he spent several months in 2010 extensively playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, claiming that he used the first person shooter to help hone his shooting skills because of the in-game holographic sight. He used a similar device when he carried out his attack on Utoya Island. [read: I used CoD to help train me to shoot innocent civilians]

Breivik's trial began on April 16th, and is expected to run approximately 10 weeks. Breivik has admitting to committing the killings, but stated that he acted in "self defense." [against civilians]
But maybe the article's wrong. Maybe Brreivik had to defend himself against 77 people (mostly teenagers) who, I guess, could've bludgeoned him to death with their Hunger Games novels or something, but let's go over what he did that led up to all of this.

He:

- Bombed government buildings in Oslo, the capital of Norway.

- Disguised himself as a police officer and, without provocation, opened fire on the adolescents at a camp of the Workers' Youth League, organized by the Labour Party.

- Confessed his entire motivation was to save Norway from a "Muslim takeover" and that the Labour Party had to "pay the price" for "letting down Norway and the Norwegian people".

- Made this little ditty (that some people may find offensive - viewer discretion advised). [www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_A5JN-UHfE]

... Yeah, no offense, but I don't see this guy winning any sympathy from anyone.
No I understood the article You might have misinterpreted my post though so for sake of clarity.
Mikeyfell said:
Self defense against 77 people?flabbergasted
Well 77 people could kill me so I'm inclined to believe him.sarcastic

I'm glad to see that a mass murderer is defending gaming, because if we can't even get them to stick up for us we're doomed as a culture. sarcastic

This guy also wrote a book. I'm surprised that writers aren't being associated with mass murder.sarcastic

Seriously Escapist, why do you run pieces that serve no purpose but to demonize gaming.serious question
You should run more articles that demonize books and movies just to balance the score.uber sarcasm

I never see any non gaming related murder stories on The Escapist (Unless it's in Off Topic Discussion thread)
So it's safe to assume this article wouldn't have been here if this guy never mentioned CoD or WoW, so the only point of this article is to associate CoD and WoW with Mass Murder.

Oh, and I have been hit with a copy of Hunger Games, paperback, not even hard cover and it hurt. serious
If 77 people (Teenagers or not) came at me wielding books I'd damn sure want to defend my self. genuinely concerned, in a sarcastic way

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Mikeyfell said:
I never see any non gaming related murder stories on The Escapist (Unless it's in Off Topic Discussion thread)
So it's safe to assume this article wouldn't have been here if this guy never mentioned CoD or WoW, so the only point of this article is to associate CoD and WoW with Mass Murder.

Oh, and I have been hit with a copy of Hunger Games, paperback, not even hard cover and it hurt. serious
If 77 people (Teenagers or not) came at me wielding books I'd damn sure want to defend my self. genuinely concerned, in a sarcastic way
Ah, OK, sorry about that. Kinda hard to read genuine sarcasm on the Internet. ^_^; Doesn't help that I've read many serious idiot posts before that read almost exactly like yours.

Anyway, I would normally reply with the fact that the Escapist is a website focused on the media of video games, which is why they usually run video game-related stories, but MovieBob's stuff and a couple of the news articles (such as the ones about science) discredit that theory. My assumption is that we generally tend to lump most popular fictional media that has some controversial or radical ideas (video games, movies, novels, etc. included) into the same thing, and we just happen to mention video games a lot because, again, the Escapist is mainly focused on video games, and because video games have taken most of the flak for being the most controversial fictional and interactive media that has 'influenced' lives recently.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
ThunderCavalier said:
Ah, OK, sorry about that. Kinda hard to read genuine sarcasm on the Internet. ^_^; Doesn't help that I've read many serious idiot posts before that read almost exactly like yours.

Anyway, I would normally reply with the fact that the Escapist is a website focused on the media of video games, which is why they usually run video game-related stories, but MovieBob's stuff and a couple of the news articles (such as the ones about science) discredit that theory. My assumption is that we generally tend to lump most popular fictional media that has some controversial or radical ideas (video games, movies, novels, etc. included) into the same thing, and we just happen to mention video games a lot because, again, the Escapist is mainly focused on video games, and because video games have taken most of the flak for being the most controversial fictional and interactive media that has 'influenced' lives recently.
Sometimes I forget that text doesn't carry tone.

It just seems like stories like this are more suited to Fox news. Just presenting a stilted view of something they don't like. I thought the Escapist was better than that is all.
It would be better for everyone if they just let these (Um...What's the opposite of a "Puff Piece") fade away instead of covering them.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Wierdguy said:
Yes... because shooting 60-ish unarmed teenagers and blowing up a building is totaly self-defence... seriously who the fuck does he think will possibly fall for that?
Do I go to hell if I respond "O J Simpson's jury"? Or do I just get sued? Either way I think I'm gonna stay quiet.

I think it's tragi-hilarious though, that this guy who went on a politically-motivated killing spree to draw attention to his own far-right cause, instead found the cause ignored and the usual self-interest groups screaming: "He played videogames! They must've driven him insane!" That's the first time I've ever been happy that these idiots (the people blaming extremist violence on a videogame hobby, that is) got involved in something like this.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Mikeyfell said:
Sometimes I forget that text doesn't carry tone.

It just seems like stories like this are more suited to Fox news. Just presenting a stilted view of something they don't like. I thought the Escapist was better than that is all.
It would be better for everyone if they just let these (Um...What's the opposite of a "Puff Piece") fade away instead of covering them.
It's not like we're pointing out that video games are the devil.

Most journalists that cover these stories, including one of the most opinionated and vocal reporters, Critical Miss's Grey Carter, often point out the hypocrisy or flat-out inaccuracy or redundancy of these articles. It's often more of a running gag or joke that we have these stories and joke about how stupid their claims often are.

Sep 7, 2010
77? not bad...and I gotta give him some respect for manning up and admitting that his actions were his own, rather than taking a pathetic route of blaming games and claiming insanity. need more guys like him! :D