Norwegian Mass Murderer Diagnosed With Paranoid Schizophrenia

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
They had to interview him thirteen times to figure that out? Why not just look at the fucking OP photo to tell this guy's a few gunmen short of a grassy knoll!
Denariax said:
As a paranoid schizophrenic I'm insulted that we're not even considered people anymore.

It's like, round them all up into a bin and open fire. Geezus. I'm already considered a freak amongst the Floridians, it doesn't help that now this guy has to shove gaming into the agenda and make me look worse.
I thought the Floridians were the crazy ones =/
Well, as you aren't planning to murder anyone, I don't consider you less than human.
I'm planning the genocide of mankind as a dream in my head, but that's about it. Won't act on it or anything.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
So... apparently like .3-.7% of people have Paranoid Schizophrenia. And we have 2 in this thread so far.
Also Schizophrenia is not multiple personality disorder. That's Dissociative Identity Disorder for those unaware.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
he still needs the death penalty.....which you guys dont have, just a maximum of what? 25 years?

Beeple

Apr 16, 2009
^
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I thought the term "psychotic" had been replaced with "sociopathic" now?
I think psycho/socio pathic (There's some subtle differences between the two) is considered more politically correct when describing a person. To describe somebody as 'psychotic' doesn't make sense anyway. But the term psychotic exists as in 'Psychotic disorder'. That said I'm not sure if 'Psychotic state' is an accurate usage of the word.
'The observed person was psychotic.' is definitely wrong.

So we're going from 'It's not society's fault cos video games' to 'It's not society's fault cos schizophrenia'

Brilliant.

On the one hand it's nice that something other than videogames are being blamed, I'm sure that's reassuring to the majority of this community, and fair play to you all.

On the other hand as far as society is concerned very little has changed because 'hey, it's nobody's fault, he had a mental disorder, hooray' and things like this will continue to happen.

*Sigh*

Jegsimmons said:
he still needs the death penalty.....which you guys dont have, just a maximum of what? 25 years?
In Norway? 21 years, though that can be extended in jumps of 5 years if the criminal is still deemed a threat to society, theoretically this can extend to life imprisonment.

But that won't happen because Norway don't have a ham-fisted and ineffective approach to dealing with crime (Apparently they're still concerningly eager to play the mental illness card though). They listen to people who know what they're talking about when it comes to criminal justice, unlike certain other countries.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Looks like this kill streak is getting him the electric chair. Yeah, this guy clearly has issues. Hard to believe he could pull off such a terrible crime on his own.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
AugustFall said:
So... apparently like .3-.7% of people have Paranoid Schizophrenia. And we have 2 in this thread so far.
Also Schizophrenia is not multiple personality disorder. That's Dissociative Identity Disorder for those unaware.
Lovely.

Schizophrenia is also more of a grab bag of similar mental abnormalities (paranoid schizophrenia being one of them) and (if I remember my university-level psych class correctly from several years ago) there are generally three categories of how they respond to treatment:

1) Able to operate with little to no mediation and some non-intensive therapy. (Likely the ones in our lovely thread here)

2) Treatment with medication with occasional overnight stay in a ward for particularly severe events.

3) Back-of-the-ward cases that are simply non-responsive to treatment and have to remain in permanent civil sanction for the safety of themselves and others.

Mr. Breivik likely will fall into category 2 here, but given the nature of his event, release will be unlikely due to the extreme nature of his delusional event as well as for his own safety.

EDIT:
Jegsimmons said:
The death penalty would have no purpose in this case. A major tenet of the western justice system is that you cannot hold a person accountable for actions that arise out of a severe disease or defect of the mind (i.e. insanity in the legal sense) much in the same way you cannot hold a person criminally accountable for their actions if they were having a seizure or sleepwalking. It would not serve the purpose of justice nor the public interest to punish someone for something which they had no control over.

In the case of the death penalty, even your barbaric system (I'm assuming you're in the US) has made it clear by your Supreme Court that the insane cannot be executed as that would be in violation of the prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment.

Feb 13, 2008
Is it just me that's really creeped out by the photo within the story actually looking like it belongs in MW3?

Unless I'm missing something?

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
The max sentence could be 30 years with potential for parole on good behaivor (Like he's even going to get that). As for those wanting him to die for his crimes...whats the point? He'll be 62 when he gets out of prison, That's if he doesn't get killed whilst there. And considering his insanity, he may well be locked up indefinetely. I don't know about you, but being held in a prison hospital for the rest of life is certainly something I'd never wish on anyone who didn't deserve it. So screw killing him. Drag his life out, make it so he'll never be able to return to society and you've got a fate worse then death.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
To be honest I'm actually on the number 2 of that scale. The problem here is that the scale goes way further; knowing I'm also severely autistic, as well as this, its a wonder I'm not in the third category, though.

Beeple

Apr 16, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Is it just me that's really creeped out by the photo within the story actually looking like it belongs in MW3?

Unless I'm missing something?
The policeman's (I think it's a policeman?) face does look rendered for some reason.

That said do we honestly think the Modern Warfare series will ever involve Norwegians? That would require somebody on the team to know something about a country that isn't the US, England or 'Europe'.

Yes I missed out Russia intentionally, I don't believe they know anything about Russia.

Hybridwolf said:
I don't know about you, but being held in a prison hospital for the rest of life is certainly something I'd never wish on anyone who didn't deserve it.
-Nobody- deserves that to be honest, I'd prefer execution.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Schizophrenic or not it still sounded like he knew exactly what he was doing.

Beeple

Apr 16, 2009
Razada said:
Psychopath = Devoid of emotion
Sociopath = Unable to understand how humans/society works.

I do like how in the second half of your post I can see a small hint of "Americans are doing it wrong".

Finally, stating both that he was in a "Psychotic state" and that "the observed person was psychotic" are both correct uses of the word. A psychotic state would be a total and utter break from reality, him being psychotic would be him remaining in that fantasy world.

In honesty the biggest sign that this guy is batshit crazy is not what he did. It is the fact that he turned himself in.

Medicine advances in leaps and bounds.
You're right regarding psychotic, my brain automatically registered 'Psychotic' in terms of it's colloquial use. Not sure why :/

I think it was more of a big hint, but it definitely wasn't just aimed at America I'd like to emphasise my use of 'Countries' :)

The fact that he turned himself in might also imply he felt remorse for his actions though :/ (I don't know if this is the case, I can't say either way)

I have a massive fear of the belief that 'medicines' can be used to 'treat' mental 'illness'

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
Oh hey, I almost forgot about this guy! But really, why do people ALWAYS jump to video games to be the source of the problem and never a mental illness? First it was the "influence of the devil" or "demonic possession." At the time, OF COURSE it was mental illness! There is no devil or demons to do any such things! Now, for some odd reason, in a day and age where we can easily identify mental illness in individuals, people still assume of other things first? I mean really, where is the common sense?

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
1. Kill a load of people
2. Get caught
3. ?????? Be insane
4. Profit!

Imo he should just be shot, he will probably be more harm than good for the society.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
So how do you use MW2 to train anyway? Its nothing like real life... At all... Real aiming of a rifle requires dexterity and control, pressing LT to aim doesn't! No one was shooting back at him, and all he did was walk around and shoot civilians. I suppose you could link that as a similar scenario to the Airport level, but its still completely different!! When I train to go to Afghanistan I don't play MW2 online, or Medal Of Honour! Its nothing like real life!!