Norwegian Retailers Get Rid Of Games After Attacks

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
i still can't see how playing call of duty (or any video for that matter) would help anyone prepare themselves for a real shooting. i know some armies in the world use VR training for team work but i doubt they use it for actual target practicing.

i call shenanigans.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
This is just like when the twin towers fell and movies and games were held back from release even if they had nothing to do with New York. It's out of respect, so whether or not it makes any sense it's hard to argue with.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
I want to know about Bobby Kotick's reaction.

But I agree, nothing of value was lost.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I'm glad that only Norway is doing this since it's much more understandable over there for this to happen. The act is still ridiculous, but at least it might ease the conscience of those in Norway who don't really understand the correlation (or lack thereof) between violence and video games.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
World of Freaking Warcraft?!?

That thing is our best bet for world peace, FFS. Everyone will be too fat and obsessive to fight.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
I'd like to quickly clarify that these stores have every right to pull these games, and it's probably a good move given the circumstances (the circumstances being that people still think that video games universally cause violence) - but I'm pissed off that they should have to go that extra step further to protect themselves in this case...

so...

All aboard the bandwagon!

I really can't stand this Anders Bhering Brevik guy. First and foremost because he's a mass-murdering psycopath, but also because he thinks that he can just hand off the blame onto violent video games - an issue that he knows full well is a touchy subject with the world's population of overprotective parents and phsycotic morons - and get himself off the hook.

A few problems with this...

Well firstly - if you train yourself to shoot on Call of Duty then you are going to die fairly quickly when you come face to face wth armed police and discover that a controller is in fact COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from a real firearm.

Secondly - How could his plan possibly have been furthered by playing WoW? Is this guy just adding to his murder charges by trolling us?
Oh yeah - and you can buy WoW online now so it doesn't need to be in stores - whoop dee doo....

Fuck you Brevik...

Norway - keep on trukkin'... that is all.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I can't wait till they found out he made his meal that day using a recipe he learned playing Cooking Mama. Then they have to ban that too.

redeemer09

Jan 19, 2009
america ,if we want to keep the respect of norway. we must join in on the festivities and destroy all the cods in our local gamestops,walmarts, and targets.

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
PixelKing said:
He used WoW as a cover, nothing else.
Deshara said:
And nothing of value was lost.
*cough*Counter Strike*cough*

EDIT: Someone posted that in his manifesto he was encouraging other extremists to use WoW as a cover story, thanks for pointing that out. And I'd just like to say R.I.P to all the dead and my sorrows go out to the families of the dead.
This.
He also mentions Hip Hop in his manifesto of hatred and if you can remember back,Hip Hop was the devil all the way through the 90's+early 2000's,before that it was gory movies,
now people have something else to blame for all of society's ills,
and I think this sick bastard was/is intelligent enough to hit as many "hot buttons" as possible so the gutter press can foam at their collective mouths about "what's to blame!"
there were no video games,and precious few movies when H H Holmes murdered possibly hundreds of people at(and around)the time of the worlds fair in 1893...what do you think they blamed then?
black and white photos?.
People will always look for scapegoats rather than admit that there are some very,very broken,sick individuals out there.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
lacktheknack said:
ImprovizoR said:
Those retailers are morons. And that's just putting it mildly.
How dare they show basic respect to the families of the victims.

If he had claimed that he read a book before killing your child, it doesn't matter how accurate the statement is, you'd be glad and comforted that the local bookstores pulled the book from shelves, even if only temporarily.

I don't give a damn how "calm and reasoned" you think you are (as evident in "the retailers are morons"), if you lost your child, you'd feel damn good about the killer's manifesto being thwarted in some way.
That's some god awful flawed logic right there. By your line of reasoning if a bunch of people got run over by a nutjob with a car then should they temporarily stop selling cars as a sign of respect for the people killed?

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
schiz0phren1c said:
PixelKing said:
He used WoW as a cover, nothing else.
Deshara said:
*cough*Counter Strike*cough*

EDIT: Someone posted that in his manifesto he was encouraging other extremists to use WoW as a cover story, thanks for pointing that out. And I'd just like to say R.I.P to all the dead and my sorrows go out to the families of the dead.
This.
He also mentions Hip Hop in his manifesto of hatred and if you can remember back,Hip Hop was the devil all the way through the 90's+early 2000's,before that it was gory movies,
now people have something else to blame for all of society's ills,
and I think this sick bastard was/is intelligent enough to hit as many "hot buttons" as possible so the gutter press can foam at their collective mouths about "what's to blame!"
there were no video games,and precious few movies when H H Holmes murdered possibly hundreds of people at(and around)the time of the worlds fair in 1893...what do you think they blamed then?
black and white photos?.
People will always look for scapegoats rather than admit that there are some very,very broken,sick individuals out there.
It's more comforting to blame something you can act against than to feel powerless, I suppose.

Amplify

Aug 31, 2008
Deshara said:
Pffft, almost any time I open a thread to make a sarcastic quip about it somebody's beaten me to it in the very first reply :<

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
lacktheknack said:
ImprovizoR said:
Those retailers are morons. And that's just putting it mildly.
How dare they show basic respect to the families of the victims.

If he had claimed that he read a book before killing your child, it doesn't matter how accurate the statement is, you'd be glad and comforted that the local bookstores pulled the book from shelves, even if only temporarily.

I don't give a damn how "calm and reasoned" you think you are (as evident in "the retailers are morons"), if you lost your child, you'd feel damn good about the killer's manifesto being thwarted in some way.
I think it's funny that you're telling someone that they can't say how they'll react if their child ever dies, but then go back around to TELL them how they'll react in such an event. Isn't it hilarious?! No, not really. Maybe because I'm an avid gamer and also an avid literature-reader, I could safely realize that, in the event of my child ever getting killed, the killer listing a book or a game - either of which you're saying are supplied by a major retailer - is nothing but a bunch of bullshit. Call of Duty does NOT help you with weapons training. A controller is the exact opposite from a real damn fire-arm that requires real training to be used in an accurate manner. And I doubt any book supplied by a major retailer is going to have such a great psychological effect on someone that they'd turn around and murder someone - and in the event that did happen, I'd see straight through that bull to realize that that person is just completely effing insane and is using something as a scapegoat.

In the event of my child being murdered, the only thing that would give me any gratification would be the killer being put behind bars to slowly rot - not a game or book from a clearly bullshit manifesto, written by someone who is addled in the head, being taken off of retail. Because I realize that games and books and movies do not work that way on people who are not psychotic.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
CS:S is still getting sold? Woah!

TheEndlessSleep said:
Secondly - How could his plan possibly have been furthered by playing WoW? Is this guy just adding to his murder charges by trolling us?
It probably told him everything he needed to know about fashion sense.
http://kookyplanet.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/136477-norway-massacre-suspect-admits-shooting-bombing.jpg?w=300&h=214

And I agree. He be trollin' with his "the games made me do it" excuse.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
World of Warcraft is a shooter? All this time people have been saying its a grindy MMO guess ill try it then.

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
Very true Speakercone,
and from the sound of how this guy acted in life,we'd need to be getting into "minority report" levels of snoopery to catch his type of psychopath,
I just can't help thinking there's a better,more positive way to react to such happening's
damned if I know what(yet,give me a while!)
I don't even think the old "hang 'em high,eye for an eye" style morality would put this kind of guy off,
even if he knew the punishment for his actions was to be hung,drawn,and quartered I think he would have gone ahead and regarded himself as a martyr.
mad world.

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
He most likely has an anti-gaming agenda and listed these games as a way to attack them. No one sees that he turned himself in alive JUST so that he can influence the public with his rhetoric? Yet again, stupidity and fear prevail.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
no, dont do this.
there's some moron down here in Australia who is trying to twist this slaughter into a "ban games" campaign and this will give him leverage.

wait a second, the only truly good games out of that are the modern warfare series...maybe ghost warrior...how is this the list of banned games when there is shit a lot worse for the ps1.