Norwegian Retailers Get Rid Of Games After Attacks

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
That's just disgusting... They still bury their dead, and these guys wanna downplay his actions and make excuses for it. He killed 80 something people.

"out of respect and in respect to those affected [by the attacks]." This is not the way you do it. What he did was horrible and unforgivable. He shouldn't be shown any compassion, any understanding, and shouldn't have excuses made for him. Oh, it wasn't really his fault, it was the video games, yeah that's disgusting.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
and I'm curious as to if Norway is going to stop WoW period, including people who already have accounts or not, cause i could see some civil liberties being stepped on and if not, at least some retribution sought for the monthly fee that will be lost.
One of the retailers who removed these games is a grocery store and the other is a store that primarily sells music and films. None of the mayor game retailers have stopped selling these games. This will probably have little effect on the Norwegian gaming policy, or whatever it's called. Also, the Prime Minister plays Age of Empires 2, so I doubt he would try to ban games.

concrete89

Oct 21, 2008
Don't they get it?
He did this to have power.
This gives him power! Do people really think he even cares about culture and religion?! This is just a psycho wanting to make a big boom.
Dumbasses...

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Meh, so long as it's temporary, I don't think this is a particularly big deal. It's probably going to make gamers look worse making a big deal out of the temporary ban than just waiting it out.

It's disconcerting to be sure, but it's also just a good business move on their part.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Parnage said:
Ah Norway, strengthening democracy by pulling games from the shelves. Oh the irony. I am disgusted.
Two private retailers did this, not the government. And it's just temporarily.

EDIT: That doesn't make it any less stupid, though.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Yeah.."Out of respect"..Whut? Why would anyone of the victims families care if they pull videogame that the attacker supposedly played?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
lacktheknack said:
anthony87 said:
lacktheknack said:
ImprovizoR said:
Those retailers are morons. And that's just putting it mildly.
How dare they show basic respect to the families of the victims.

If he had claimed that he read a book before killing your child, it doesn't matter how accurate the statement is, you'd be glad and comforted that the local bookstores pulled the book from shelves, even if only temporarily.

I don't give a damn how "calm and reasoned" you think you are (as evident in "the retailers are morons"), if you lost your child, you'd feel damn good about the killer's manifesto being thwarted in some way.
That's some god awful flawed logic right there. By your line of reasoning if a bunch of people got run over by a nutjob with a car then should they temporarily stop selling cars as a sign of respect for the people killed?
No. This would be the killer saying "THIS CAR MADE ME DO IT", which absolutely no one would buy.

However, of the families of the victims, some believe that the games were a part of the motive - and they were. The killer has said so. Thus, it's respectful to temporarily stop selling the games.

Grieving has little to do with logic. Perfectly logical people don't grieve.
So just because the killer said so, you believe that video games really did in fact have something to do with his actions?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Oh for fucks sake, this anti-games bullshit is getting more pathetic by the day. I give up on these morons...

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
I don't understand why it's always taken out on games?? Why not stop selling DVDs that have guns/shooting in them? Why not stop selling CDs with lyrics about guns/killing people?

Not that I'm actually saying that they should stop selling all of them, but I think if you're going to kill people - a video game is not going to be a deciding factor for you.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Littaly said:
ImprovizoR said:
No, they're not morons. Temporarily pulling those games from the shelves is not only the right thing to do out of respect for the people who were hurt by the massacre, it is the right thing to do out of a business standpoint as well. In a store of that size, with that many people shopping in it, for every single little detail that isn't perfect, you have a customer that is ready to throw a fit over it. I've seen people go to the newspaper and cry "scandal!" over issues far, far less significant than this.

Regardless of where these retailers stand in the whole "games cause violence" debate (odds are they don't even care), it would be moronic for them to risk upsetting paying customers, especially when it comes to an issue that is currently ass sensitive as this.
They are actively encouraging misconceptions and flat out myths about games while at the same time moving focus away from the real causes of the attack.

If they believe they are doing the right thing with this they are ignorant and stupid; if they are just doing this from a business/PR standpoint then they are even WORSE as they would be trying to profit from the deaths of over 90 people.

Nothing is less disrespectful to the victims than to completely misunderstand this tragedy by blaming it on video games rather on the REAL issues that caused it (racism, gun control, mental illness etc).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
anthony87 said:
lacktheknack said:
anthony87 said:
lacktheknack said:
ImprovizoR said:

If he had claimed that he read a book before killing your child, it doesn't matter how accurate the statement is, you'd be glad and comforted that the local bookstores pulled the book from shelves, even if only temporarily.

I don't give a damn how "calm and reasoned" you think you are (as evident in "the retailers are morons"), if you lost your child, you'd feel damn good about the killer's manifesto being thwarted in some way.
That's some god awful flawed logic right there. By your line of reasoning if a bunch of people got run over by a nutjob with a car then should they temporarily stop selling cars as a sign of respect for the people killed?
No. This would be the killer saying "THIS CAR MADE ME DO IT", which absolutely no one would buy.

However, of the families of the victims, some believe that the games were a part of the motive - and they were. The killer has said so. Thus, it's respectful to temporarily stop selling the games.

So just because the killer said so, you believe that video games really did in fact have something to do with his actions?
You don't read what I write, do you? Or do you not acknowledge viewpoints that aren't your own? (I'm not referring to mine, either, I'm talking about the grieving families.)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
fundayz said:
Littaly said:
ImprovizoR said:
No, they're not morons. Temporarily pulling those games from the shelves is not only the right thing to do out of respect for the people who were hurt by the massacre, it is the right thing to do out of a business standpoint as well. In a store of that size, with that many people shopping in it, for every single little detail that isn't perfect, you have a customer that is ready to throw a fit over it. I've seen people go to the newspaper and cry "scandal!" over issues far, far less significant than this.

Regardless of where these retailers stand in the whole "games cause violence" debate (odds are they don't even care), it would be moronic for them to risk upsetting paying customers, especially when it comes to an issue that is currently ass sensitive as this.
They are actively encouraging misconceptions and flat out myths about games while at the same time moving focus away from the real causes of the attack.

If they believe they are doing the right thing with this they are ignorant and stupid; if they are just doing this from a business/PR standpoint then they are even WORSE as they would be trying to profit from the deaths of over 90 people.

Nothing is less disrespectful to the victims than to completely misunderstand this tragedy by blaming it on video games rather on the REAL issues that caused it (racism, gun control, mental illness etc).
Thankfully, they're not blaming it on the games. If they were, this wouldn't be a temporary pull.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Thankfully, they're not blaming it on the games. If they were, this wouldn't be a temporary pull.
By pulling the games, even temporarily, they are acknowledging that these games somehow contributed to the tragedy when they clearly did not.

This act is EXACTLY the same as if the the killer had said "McNuggets gave me the strength to do this" and then McDonald's temporarily pulled their nuggets "out of respect".

This is:

Ignorant, if this action was taken out of honest belief that video games helped cause this tragedy.

Amoral, if this action was taken to gain public recognition.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
lacktheknack said:
anthony87 said:
lacktheknack said:
anthony87 said:
lacktheknack said:
ImprovizoR said:

You don't read what I write, do you? Or do you not acknowledge viewpoints that aren't your own? (I'm not referring to mine, either, I'm talking about the grieving families.)
I read what you wrote and the part that stood out for me is now bolded so that you can see what I'm refering to. You stated yourself that the games were part of the motive according to the killer. Which is why I asked if you really believe that.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
i hope they also pulled out the brand of toast he ate that morning
it's TERRORIST TOAST!!!

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I wasn't aware there was a retail version of Counter-Strike: Source...

Also, this is dumb. If he had said a movie made him do it, nothing would have happened.