Norwegian Retailers Get Rid Of Games After Attacks

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
No, talk of gun control or stopping people from going to gun ranges to practice shoot, as he did, but get the games, yeah that will do it.

I say keep the games on the shelf and the dumb idea that COD MW makes you better at shooting real guns, so these kind of nut bangs get lower death tolls than if they had spent their time joining gun clubs or the military. Harness the dumbness....

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
PixelKing said:
He used WoW as a cover, nothing else.
Deshara said:
And nothing of value was lost.
*cough*Counter Strike*cough*

EDIT: Someone posted that in his manifesto he was encouraging other extremists to use WoW as a cover story, thanks for pointing that out. And I'd just like to say R.I.P to all the dead and my sorrows go out to the families of the dead.
CS:S :( Well most people own it by now already though.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Samurai Silhouette said:
This hasn't affected me in any way shape or form. However, I'm not so ignorant to say that I don't care about it happening elsewhere because the movement may gain momentum and happen here.

OT
I agree with the temporary take down of the games due to sympathy... as long as it's temporary.
What if the murderer said that pencils where a key component in his ability to do what he did, should pencils be taken away out of sympathy? No because that would be stupid to punish an innocent business like Activision ( yes in this case they are innocent) is simply wrong.

Snordraken

Mar 24, 2011
spectrenihlus said:
What if the murderer said that pencils where a key component in his ability to do what he did, should pencils be taken away out of sympathy? No because that would be stupid to punish an innocent business like Activision ( yes in this case they are innocent) is simply wrong.
It's strange to see the words "Activision" and "innocent" together.

OT: While I disslike them doing this out of principle (what the killer wants etc.), I would probably care more if it wasn't a department store and a record store.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Snordraken said:
spectrenihlus said:
It's strange to see the words "Activision" and "innocent" together.

OT: While I disslike them doing this out of principle (what the killer wants etc.), I would probably care more if it wasn't a department store and a record store.
I am glad that this is a purely a voluntary decision on the part of the retailers but it still shows that the populace thinks gaming leads to disasters such as these which studies time and time again show that they don't.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
spectrenihlus said:
Samurai Silhouette said:
This hasn't affected me in any way shape or form. However, I'm not so ignorant to say that I don't care about it happening elsewhere because the movement may gain momentum and happen here.

OT
I agree with the temporary take down of the games due to sympathy... as long as it's temporary.
The pencil tool itself has zero persuasive value. It does not depict any sort of violence, nor is it considered a lethal weapon. Now the material a person can create with that pencil however holds that power. It's the art (in this case, the games) that I'm referring to.

I'd disagree if it was a permanent take down, but this is just a sensitivity issue. You think an up-to-date Norwegian parent would be thrilled to see their child walk in the door with one of those games on the list just after the incident? Some might even pubically rally to ban the games all together, and we know what happens when games end up in the news in a negative light. Take them down for a while and let the shitstorm settle. Then after everyone has gone back to their normal lives and figure it really wasn't the games that really influenced this, put it back on the shelves. Probably the best choice of action for everyone involved. What's happening to the games is what I believe to be collateral damage.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Samurai Silhouette said:
spectrenihlus said:
Samurai Silhouette said:

OT
The pencil tool itself has zero persuasive value. It does not depict any sort of violence, nor is it considered a lethal weapon. Now the material a person can create with that pencil however holds that power. It's the art (in this case, the games) that I'm referring to.

I'd disagree if it was a permanent take down, but this is just a sensitivity issue. You think an up-to-date Norwegian parent would be thrilled to see their child walk in the door with one of those games on the list just after the incident? Some might even pubically rally to ban the games all together, and we know what happens when games end up in the news in a negative light. Take them down for a while and let the shitstorm settle. Then after everyone has gone back to their normal lives and figure it really wasn't the games that really influenced this, put it back on the shelves. Probably the best choice of action for everyone involved. What's happening to the games is what I believe to be collateral damage.
Oh i dunno I could pretty severe damage with a sharpened pencil. If the games where not the problem in the first place then they shouldn't have been taken away by doing this act the retailers have enforced the belief that games cause these tragedies, this only hurts our position.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
spectrenihlus said:
Samurai Silhouette said:
spectrenihlus said:
Samurai Silhouette said:

OT

Oh i dunno I could pretty severe damage with a sharpened pencil. If the games where not the problem in the first place then they shouldn't have been taken away by doing this act the retailers have enforced the belief that games cause these tragedies, this only hurts our position.
I saw that argument coming, it's why I said "considered a lethal weapon". I was indirectly referring to actual weapons.

I honestly don't believe the retail stores want to take the games off their shelves. The people making those decisions are more than likely gamers like you and me. They probably believe it's best for their business and the game industry as a whole. "Out of sight, out of mind." I'm sure they don't want to see games being taken off the map. Who has the clairvoyance to know the consequences of these decisions? Our response to what's probably their best intentions makes the gaming community look like insensitive pricks. That doesn't help our image any either.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Samurai Silhouette said:
spectrenihlus said:
Samurai Silhouette said:
spectrenihlus said:
Samurai Silhouette said:

OT

I saw that argument coming, it's why I said "considered a lethal weapon". I was indirectly referring to actual weapons.

I honestly don't believe the retail stores want to take the games off their shelves. The people making those decisions are more than likely gamers like you and me. They probably believe it's best for their business and the game industry as a whole. "Out of sight, out of mind." I'm sure they don't want to see games being taken off the map. Who has the clairvoyance to know the consequences of these decisions? Our response to what's probably their best intentions makes the gaming community look like insensitive pricks. That doesn't help our image any either.
It's not insensitive when you know that these games had absolutely nothing to do with the murder's actions.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
spectrenihlus said:
It's not insensitive when you know that these games had absolutely nothing to do with the murder's actions.
Convince the hundreds, if not thousands of people in that country who were affected by the incident into your views. They're probably more incorrigible than you are about the issue due to the fact that this nut job directly said they were his "training simulators". What's the problem of trying to minimize unfortunate collateral damage by granting people a little sense of grace?

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Samurai Silhouette said:
spectrenihlus said:
Convince the hundreds, if not thousands of people in that country who were affected by the incident into your views. They're probably more incorrigible than you are about the issue due to the fact that this nut job directly said they were his "training simulators". What's the problem of trying to minimize unfortunate collateral damage by granting people a little sense of grace?
That's the point he is insane what he says has little to no basis in reality.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
teh_Canape said:
Deshara said:
what are you talking about?
Counter Strike: Source is awesome

It's not even realistic. What, I suppose most counter terrorism ops have everyone running around an area with a "buy" limit, and a piece of C4 with the SAME DISARM CODE EVERY SINGLE TIME. It has guns, so why aren't they banning every single WW2 game as well?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
TypeSD said:
teh_Canape said:
Deshara said:

It's not even realistic. What, I suppose most counter terrorism ops have everyone running around an area with a "buy" limit, and a piece of C4 with the SAME DISARM CODE EVERY SINGLE TIME. It has guns, so why aren't they banning every single WW2 game as well?
may as well ban movies and TV as well if we're going with weapons XD

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
teh_Canape said:
TypeSD said:
teh_Canape said:
Deshara said:

If you're going to ban anything, get rid of ARMA >_>' show some common sense.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
TypeSD said:
teh_Canape said:
TypeSD said:
teh_Canape said:
Deshara said:

If you're going to ban anything, get rid of ARMA >_>' show some common sense.
that's the thing
those bans make no sense

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
sigh

Restrictions are exactly what he wants

thy should go after the church as well since Breivik considered himself a Templar defending Norway from Islamic invasion

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
WoW AND CoD.....

BAHAHAHAHA.

On a serious note, bit of a shame video retailers are doing it, but if it helps in the slightest way for those who lost people to move on and all that jazz, then I guess its for a good cause, even for only a week+