Jan 19, 2009
anthony87 said:
lacktheknack said:
anthony87 said:
lacktheknack said:
anthony87 said:
lacktheknack said:
ImprovizoR said:
Those retailers are morons. And that's just putting it mildly.
How dare they show basic respect to the families of the victims.

If he had claimed that he read a book before killing your child, it doesn't matter how accurate the statement is, you'd be glad and comforted that the local bookstores pulled the book from shelves, even if only temporarily.

I don't give a damn how "calm and reasoned" you think you are (as evident in "the retailers are morons"), if you lost your child, you'd feel damn good about the killer's manifesto being thwarted in some way.
That's some god awful flawed logic right there. By your line of reasoning if a bunch of people got run over by a nutjob with a car then should they temporarily stop selling cars as a sign of respect for the people killed?
No. This would be the killer saying "THIS CAR MADE ME DO IT", which absolutely no one would buy.

However, of the families of the victims, some believe that the games were a part of the motive - and they were. The killer has said so. Thus, it's respectful to temporarily stop selling the games.

Grieving has little to do with logic. Perfectly logical people don't grieve.
So just because the killer said so, you believe that video games really did in fact have something to do with his actions?
You don't read what I write, do you? Or do you not acknowledge viewpoints that aren't your own? (I'm not referring to mine, either, I'm talking about the grieving families.)
I read what you wrote and the part that stood out for me is now bolded so that you can see what I'm refering to. You stated yourself that the games were part of the motive according to the killer. Which is why I asked if you really believe that.
No, I don't.

But it doesn't matter if I believe that, it matters if others believe that.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
SgtFoley said:
Nouw said:
Oh wow, he's pretty much saying "We're pulling these games off because they caused the incident and so if someone affiliated with the attack sees these games will become offended."

I'm betting at least one person related to the victims play one of those games.
No they are not saying that at all. So why dont you go back and read what they actually said before making idiotic statements like that.
I appreciate and respect someone when they correct me but I do not if that someone says it in a rude and disrespectful way. Having said that, I will re-read it and further analyse it. I wasn't so sure what it was trying to portray in the first place, but since the train of thought was held by other people I decided to think the same. They usually share the same opinion to me so I wouldn't think twice trusting them. *Re-reads.

Let me rephrase my sentence, note that I admit that I'm wrong.[sub]I didn't even have to read it again to know that.[/sub]

"We're pulling these games off because they were related to the incident and could offend someone related to the incident." Of course in this case it was apparently more than a mere object that literally helped him achieve his goal but rather a 'guide.' Modern Warfare 2 served as a 'guide' to help him do that right? Now if this was a book, I could in some perspective see it being taken down. But then that's because it could be much easier to see how a book would help. But a video game? It would be of no real help whatsoever. Playing a video game isn't going to help you train to go on an armed massacre. Hell playing Paint Ball or Lazer Tag could help more than playing a video game. But does that mean people would take down those? I'd like to think not.

So in some way they're saying it helped cause the incident. Are they not? After all his manifesto mentioned that they helped him do the gruesome attacks. I feel that this isn't a particularly smart move. It's obvious that he was targeting these games on purpose to do some kind of damage, and look at what happens. This is what he wants. At least that's what I think; if he wanted more people to do what was 'right', wouldn't he keep it a bit more secret instead of saying "Oh X and Y helped me do this?" I'm betting that he did it on purpose because he knew that it was a controversial topic. If the world does decide to do more than 'temporarily take down' the games then once again, he's probably going to be a happy man.

More assumptions; another reason why taking them down isn't the best idea is because that isn't going to exactly help people cope. This I'm not nearly as sure as, not that I was 100% sure in the first place, because I've never had to deal with the loss of a loved one. From my perspective, if some went on a rampage and mentioned that book, game or anything helped him I wouldn't mind if they kept it on shelves. It isn't going to suddenly make more people do the same thing and it isn't going to make me feel any better. To me, it'd just be pure rubbish.

My thoughts on this; feel free to criticize but please do so in a nicer manner. If you don't, I will simply ignore you.

Also, I'd like to note that in some way I do respect the fact that they're taking it down. Only because everyone grieves in different way. Logically, taking it down is stupid but once again, perspectives. I feel that in a way, the opposing sides are both right.

FireFoxGamer

Mar 20, 2011
MW2 is a good simulation of how to use a gun ........
That's like using a turkey sandwich as a flight-simulator

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
At the very least, it's not a preventative measure, it's only out of respect.

Although, saying this I am justas baffled as anyone about the World of Warcraft part...

Granted there's a lot of killing in WoW, but the gameplay itself is more akin to online shopping than actual murder.

Beyond that though, I respect their choices.

Tufty94

Jul 31, 2011
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Madman points to games as training material to incite idiotic media affiliates, media affiliates believe him, everyone overreacts, and the intelligent among us roll our eyes.

Nothing to see here.
I agree. This is only going to add to the "Video games turn people into serial killers!" thing.

DasUberCow

May 26, 2009
Good to know Escapist is full of people who instantly defend video games no matter the context. I know it's hard for a lot of people to imagine, but this attack had a very serious effect on Norway. It's out of respect to the deceased and mourners (who there are more than enough of right now) and not as a pre-emptive attempt to stop any more attacks. It's not about how realistic the games are. It's not even about whatever the fuck the guy's agenda is about disrupting society. It's about respect and compassion.

Good job on completely missing the point everyone.

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
They're doing the right thing, but for the wrong reasons: those are all horrible video games (except maybe Counter-Strike: Source).

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Here's a suicidal idea: ban everything killers may sometimes do and may have done. Crazies can be inspired by just about anything afteral.

If people weren't so dumb, we wouldn't be paying any attention at all to what a crazy serial killer may think or do in their spare time. His brain farts are going to be all fucked up.

People are giving the man actual credit by reading his personal life and making decisions based upon that info.

1/10 rated trolls deserve more attention than this killer.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
If the guy said that he jumped rope and ran 5k every day to train, would they close sidewalks and pull jump ropes from the shelves?

Bailey1337

Jul 29, 2011
And terrorism officially wins in this case...to an extent at least...and probably not in the way he was expecting.

Mass Effect 2 made me destroy an entire world and millions of Batarians along with it. Maybe they should get rid of that game too, in case I do something like that in real life.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
vansau said:
...and also stated that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was a useful way to hone one's shooting skills.

Let's review children, Clicking a mouse is not the same as pulling a trigger!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Brb, gonna go murder a school yard full of happy children, and blame it on the Rebecca Black.
I'll also do it on a friday, because it'll be even more fun fun fun...

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
Cid SilverWing said:
I'm Norwegian. And I'm offended. Big time. I thought we were immune to the American levels of stupid.

This just proved me wrong.
I also thought we were immune to this, but they just had to prove me wrong if they wanted to show respect to the people who lost their lives that disastrous day then put flowers at the memorial site don't do what the psycho behind this attack wants you to do

Still, it is a little reassuring to know that this is just a decision made by some retailers not our entire government but it does not make the decision any less stupid

Apr 5, 2008
Good riddance. The store shelves will have space for actual good games instead of that CoD garbage.

Oh, and by the way, obviously we all know how playing CoD can make someone an crack US Marine in RL. Well I played Prototype and seriously, I can now morph my limbs into weapons and destroy tanks with fists. Oh and since playing BioShock I can shoot bees from my hands and Fallout 3 taught me to pick ALL locks by rotating a bobby pin clockwise and to sneak past anything by crouching.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Do I even need to say anything about why this is stupid?

Were the book burnings hundreds of years ago okay? Did that stop people from doing evil? What's that? It didn't? :O...

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
DasUberCow said:
Good to know Escapist is full of people who instantly defend video games no matter the context. I know it's hard for a lot of people to imagine, but this attack had a very serious effect on Norway. It's out of respect to the deceased and mourners (who there are more than enough of right now) and not as a pre-emptive attempt to stop any more attacks. It's not about how realistic the games are. It's not even about whatever the fuck the guy's agenda is about disrupting society. It's about respect and compassion.

Good job on completely missing the point everyone.
So all the people murdered, are going to come back to live now those video games aren't sold anymore?
So all the family members of the deceased, witnesses, your entire nation, is going to feel better now those games are banned?

What has this to do with respect and compassion? You are basically doing what the terrorist wanted. Smart.