Norwegian stores takes away violent games from shops shelfes after massacre.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Real smooth, trying to score some free publicity off this tragedy by blaming a medium that had about as much to do with it as music did (Breivik apparently heard "Requiem for a Dream" while gunning them down, but nobody is blaming that piece, much less music in general), thus contributing to the ignorant defamation and moral panic about it.

Stay Classy, Coop Norge.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
mireko said:
trollpwner said:
Of course! A guy who played a "violent" video game at some point commuted a massacre. So it only makes sense to ban violent video games! And he was a Christian too. So ban Christianity! No, wait, make it safer, ban ALL religions! And he liked food! TAKE THAT FOOD AWAY SO NO SICK BA***RD CAN FOLLOW HIS FOOTSTEPS. Just to be on the safe side, lets confiscate all air, in case he breathed any.
While I like hyperbole as much as the next guy, nobody is talking about banning anything. If stores pull games from their shelves, it's the policy of a private company. They're only sabotaging themselves, as customers will take their business elsewhere.

Capitalism, ho!
But think about this, without competition and only equality, then if one store takes down its wares, it immediately becomes unavailable everywhere. So praise capitalism in that it allows up to take our business elsewhere, and what's worse is that as the minorities which dislike violence or difference in any form from themselves would only serve to keep the majority from what they most enjoy

Lenin211

Apr 22, 2011
I used MW2 to train as well. Now I know that if I am in danger, I can press B to crouch and if I get hurt, I can wait for five seconds for the blood to fly off my face.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Whatever. I just shop at game stop. They cant really remove games from their shelves. Bad for business.. I assume? o_O

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Did they also stop showing movies that involve shootings? If not then your strategy is about as good as a screen door on a submarine.

I understand trying to be sensitive about a major disaster. 9/11 caused many forms of media to remove scenes of buildings being destroyed and such. I can understand temporarily taking some games off the shelf too but if you don't extend it to more then just games then they're missing the point.

Ironwampa

Dec 7, 2009
So is there even any evidence that the bomber guy played video games? Because if not I'm calling shenanigans on Norway.

Loner Jo Jo

Jul 22, 2011
People do things that don't really make any sense later after tragedies like these. They are taking violent games off the shelves. We passed the Patriot Act. Stupid things.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
Did they also stop showing movies that involve shootings? If not then your strategy is about as good as a screen door on a submarine.

I understand trying to be sensitive about a major disaster. 9/11 caused many forms of media to remove scenes of buildings being destroyed and such. I can understand temporarily taking some games off the shelf too but if you don't extend it to more then just games then they're missing the point.
Thats what I thought that maybe they are doing it as a mark of respect. I'd imagine tv shows etc have been put on hold for a couple of weeks and suchlike aswell.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
What music did we listen to? Let's ban that.
What movies did he watch? Let's ban that.
Following that logic, after a month, everything will be banned. CAN'T WAIT.

May 5, 2010
patronscorn said:
It was known that the shooter used Modern Warfare 2 as a training tool....
No, it's known that he SAID he did. However, anyone who's ever held a real gun and played around 10 seconds of Modern Warfare 2 knows that he did no such thing.

Hey, here's an idea, how 'bout we stop giving people access to REAL guns and stop worrying about the fake ones?

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Norwegian movie stores take away violent movies from shelves after massacre.

Sounds ridiculous, right? I think the game stores are just looking for brownie points with the idiots who are blaming video games (aka 90% of population)

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
Im not seeing any sources at all. I mean if this is real its incredibly stupid and plenty of people are making great arguements as to why, but with no sources, this means nothing

Pappeska

Oct 17, 2010
ninja51 said:
Im not seeing any sources at all. I mean if this is real its incredibly stupid and plenty of people are making great arguements as to why, but with no sources, this means nothing
It was on the norwegian news maybe half an hour ago, and other than showing up in some norwegian papers, I'm not sure it will become an international story.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
My god that is one of the most idiotic logic I have seen in a while. Well good job, there's no doubt that nothing violent will ever happen again there at least...problem solved!

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
An understandable Knee-jerk reaction.

To everyone (also, understandably) panning the game store, have you guys wondered that maybe the establishments owner was somehow directly affected by the shootings? NINETY kids. One of them could have been the store owners son/daughter.

It may just be a coping mechanism?

crazyhyena645

Feb 19, 2011
Here's a link to the topic

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-29-games-taken-off-shelves-after-oslo-killings

I can kind of see why they would take down the modern warfare games down but why WOW its a fantasy game. whole seems a bit silly if you ask me.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Honestly, I've been impressed with the official response to video games after this. not one, but many politicians in Australia of all places said that blaming video games was "stupid", i've seen experts say the same.