Not Enough to do in Fallout 3

sequio

Dec 15, 2007
It took me 6 weeks to finish the game doing every quest. The replay value does suffer a bit unless you are trying to get some random encounters (like uncle leon lol). I would say that it is better than oblivion but it has a lot of clutter.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
Xiado said:
You're right! In Oblivion I still haven't beaten every side mission, but in Fallout 3, I hit the level cap and beat every mission in a short amount of time. (Compared to Oblivion) Although the F3 side missions were better quality, there just weren't enough of them.
that's how I feel about it. Oblivion's side quests just weren't as creative as some of Fallout 3's.

beastman227

Aug 3, 2008
I think that you can complain all you want about oblivion's lack of creativity but the core gameplay was strong enough that it made up for it. With fallout, though, I didn't feel like the creativity made up for the fact that all you had to do was use VATS over and over and over again.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
While I'm loathe to say that someone is playing a game 'wrong', blasting through the whole thing in a single day, which I'm not entirely sure is possible, doesn't seem like the best way of doing it.

I'm almost afraid to ask what you make of games like Bioshock or Call of Duty 4, which aren't open world at all.

beastman227

Aug 3, 2008
I played Bioshock for a few months and I played COD for even longer. It's not that i don't appreciate games, it's just that FO3 could've been so much more

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
beastman227 said:
I played Bioshock for a few months and I played COD for even longer. It's not that i don't appreciate games, it's just that FO3 could've been so much more
How? I'm not saying I think it's perfect, but I'm curious to know how you think it could be improved.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Powerhelix said:
Ok... I dont think anyone will agree with me on this, but I dont think there was enough to do in the game.
I have done, what I believe to be, every quest in the game. I have discovered evey location in the game, I have every weapon, and almost every achevement. The achevements I dont have require me to replay the game.
The game is really short, I did everything in a day of playing. Good and Evil are clearly defined. And there aren't enough quests and real decisions in the game to warrent my replaying the game.
The number of enemies in the game is rather small. The number of weapon variations in the game are even smaller. You cant go into most buildings either.
The game seems almost half done. Oblivion tops it, in my opinion, hands down. There was a lot more to do in it, and it has a lot higher replay value to me.
I'm just curious if anyone agrees with me.

Edit: I would like to point out I did say ALMOST all the achevements, the Karma ones being the ones Excluded... I would also like to say I played for a day, I.E. I woke up in the morining, sat my ass down and didnt get up till about the time I woke up the day previous.

Edit: When I say I have done everything, I don't mean I have Opened Every Lock, Hacked Every Computer, Or done every quest ending. But I have done each quest once, as I cannot bring myself to play through again.

Edit... Again: I am also aware that quest endings differ from eachother quite a bit, but the fact still remains that I dont have enough reason to care about the game, or anything in it, to actually warrent my going back and playing it when I can just as easily go on youtube and see a video of the other endings...
I'm not about to argue that there is or isn't enough to do in the game - that's really a matter of opinion - but I simply don't believe that you did every single quest in the game in just one day. Sorry, but I think you're either using hyperbole to make your point or just plain fibbing.

That said, I too prefer Oblivion to Fallout. Though I'm very much enjoying the time I'm spending with Fallout at the moment, I very much doubt I'll play through it a second time. I think the main quest is superior to that of Oblivions (honestly, the Oblivion gates were just such a snore), but I couldn't care much less about the people who live in the Capital Wasteland.

Mishramir

Jan 5, 2009
Yes, I registered to post this. No I'm not OP. Nichtsdestoweniger, I'm going to have to agree with OP. I played Fallout 3 for about 48 hours, subtracting a good 20 for sleep, food, and a class or two (this was last Halloween. I skipped Franklin St. for F3. Damn.) and I got just about every achievement, found damn near everything, (when I went to sleep, all I had left was the last little push in the Main Quest), and had rather thoroughly enjoyed myself. But, as much fun as the game was, it was, indeed, rather short.

Ok, I started another character, ignored sane skill/perk choices for cool sounding ones (Child at Heart + Little Lamplight = the most disappointing 10 minutes of November, including the trip there), and had myself a merry 150 (and still going) hours. Further, I'm all kinds of excited about Bethesda's secondary development team, the modding community (the folks who finish their games for them...).

But, as for the game Beth shipped, and the way I played it at first (y'know, selecting perks I thought would be useful, and not wasting time where I figured my character wouldn't), it was shamefully short, pointlessly easy, and worthy only because of how entertained I was during what little time I spent in D.C.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
nilcypher said:
beastman227 said:
How? I'm not saying I think it's perfect, but I'm curious to know how you think it could be improved.
Well I know you asked him but I have a few ideas...
More enemy varieties. Faster enemy respawn time. More sidequests. Higher Difficulty curve. More side quests Increased level cap.
And a better ending but everyone bitches about that one.

Better

beastman227

Aug 3, 2008
1) More quests: 16 Major quests isn't enough to give a game like FO3 the longevity it needs. 2) Better aiming system: sure, VATS is fun but it takes all the skill out of the game. That being said, there's no alternative because you can't aim for shit at a distance with the ridiculous crosshairs.
3) More control over your character: Sure, you can be a boy or a girl; black, white, etc... but I want to be a ghoul or enclave or raider.
That's how I think it could be improved

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
It's been said; rushed out. It can't grip me, partially because I've played Oblivion: tES a fair amount, but not mainly. Fallout 2 is the best game ever made, and this is like its antithesis in thorough game design. I'm really glad the voice acting was good, at least. I loathe the idea of the series being disgraced by a bad game.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
sigh.. I have to agree with the OP, because I did all the quest, and hit up all the locations barring some train stations and I hit around 25 hours. Granted I have spent about a 100 hours on the game, once you know where everything is you can get through side quest very quickly. Also now I have a speed mod installed, probably should mention that.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
harhol said:
I agree with you that the game seems half done. It was rushed out, certainly.

I played it, found it mildly entertaining, finished it and moved on. There are much better games out there.
I agree it was rushed
they should have followed the Duke Nukem Developers path and gave it another year to perfect it.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Characters like Mr Burke and Tenpenny made me LOVE that game.

Spent about 50+ hours playing that game, only the ending disappointed me, nothing else.

I found the quests shorter than Oblivion, but a whole lot more fulfilling.

My two cents,

Joe