Not exactly cutting edge graphics, but still visually appealing games

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
As consoles and computers increase in their ability to crunch numbers at incredibly high speeds, we all bear witness to prettier and prettier graphics. While this could be good, we might see some games come along with pretty graphics but suck so bad in the gameplay department.

The purpose of this thread is to shine the spotlight on some (often under-appreciated) games that uses a solid art direction, not technology, to get you to stare at the screen for the totality of the game (and no, boobs don't count).

Let me start:
I for one, loved Odin Sphere. If I can complain about two things in that game, they would be the almost crippling slowdown (especially in the fight against a certain queen of the underworld) and the high difficulty curve at the beginning (stick with it and it gets a lot more bearable). However, over all, I really liked how that game looked, enough to get me to play through it again and again just to see the 'good' ending.

Muramasa [http://wii.ign.com/articles/915/915718p1.html] seems to continue that tradition (too bad I don't have a Wii to play it on when it comes out).

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
While this could be good, we might see some games come along with pretty graphics but suck so bad in the gameplay department
There are plenty of those games anyway. Assassin's Creed being a major culprit for my money.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Eternal Sonata. Terrible and pretentious story, gameplay was good enough to get me through the game, but man I really enjoyed how bright, vibrant, and clear that game was. Great colors, loved the cell shading, good textures.

Count_de_Monet

Nov 21, 2007
I just picked up X3: Reunion the other day and I think that was put out in 2003 but it looks great. Too bad it's boring as hell.

JaguarWong

Jun 5, 2008
The Wii is becoming a bit of a master at this type of thing... there's the obvious ones like MP3 and SMG but further to that you have No More Heroes, De Blob, Lost Winds, Zack and Wiki... and in the future we have Fragile, Oboro Muramasa Youtouden and Madworld.

On my other machine I've always thought Kameo: Elements of Power was gorgeous, one of the best looking games of this generation - I love the look of Crackdown too.

There are too many to mention going back, the obvious ones are Okami, Jet Set Radio, Rez, Ico... All the usual suspects.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
There are too many to mention going back the obvious ones are Okami, Jet Set Radio, Rez, Ico... All the usual suspects.
I was expecting these two to be mentioned here. Man that was quick, only 5 posts in. I wonder if someone will post something from the PS1 and back era.

BmC

Sep 10, 2008
Syntax Error post=9.73306.791615 said:
There are too many to mention going back the obvious ones are Okami, Jet Set Radio, Rez, Ico... All the usual suspects.
I was expecting these two to be mentioned here. Man that was quick, only 5 posts in. I wonder if someone will post something from the PS1 and back era.
Just wait for my answer...
It's Shadow of the Colossus, of course =P

JaguarWong

Jun 5, 2008
Syntax Error post=9.73306.791615 said:
I wonder if someone will post something from the PS1 and back era.
I got it covered:
Bust a Groove on the PS1 was mental genius and looked awesome.
Other notables are Vib Ribbon with it's sketchy black & whiteness, Pocket Fighter in all it's toony glory and the lo-tech-hi-style of the much under appreciated B-Movie!

The only thing that springs to mind on the SNES is the impossibly simple UniRally (UniRacers)

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
BmC post=9.73306.791629 said:
That too. The first time I saw the first Colossus, my jaw dropped. Colossus 13 is the best fight ever. I also liked the subtle hints of life littered in that desolate (desolate as in no people, not unlivable) world.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Are we talking less-than cutting graphics at the time of release or games that we still play despite their graphics being slightly out of date? If the former then Tenchu Z for lovely visual effects (read: stealth kills) and if the latter than the prince of persia series.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Scorched_Cascade post=9.73306.791673 said:
Are we talking less-than cutting graphics at the time of release of games that we still play despite their graphics being slightly out of date?
Can be both actually, for as long as the graphics isn't on par with what we expect to see today. Or something that you can call "decidedly low-tech" but still endears you because of the visuals. Like Disgaea (bad example, I know).

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
I really wanna steer this thread toward pure "Art Direction Appreciation Day" type stuff, and mention Bioshock, but on top of amazing direction that game has lighting affects and graphic horsepower to spare and I don't think that's in the spirit of things

So instead I'll mention Prince of Persia. I guess the games were pretty cutting edge in the day? But even with the graphics getting quite outdated, it's still fun to see the amazingly well-designed architecture, and the fluid, perfect movements of the Prince.

Bling Cat

Jan 13, 2008
Golden Sun. Both games used mainly drawings over graphics, meaning their still pretty to look at. Throw that in with awesome effects and you have a game that's still amazing to look at, and fun to play.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
Syntax Error post=9.73306.791647 said:
BmC post=9.73306.791629 said:
That too. The first time I saw the first Colossus, my jaw dropped. Colossus 13 is the best fight ever. quote]

Really? The desert dragon one right? I found that a pointless one as the possiblity of dying nearly none existant. Not that running along side it, jumping off Agro to latch on wasn't extremly epic at all :p.

My personal fav was Colossus #3.