Not exactly cutting edge graphics, but still visually appealing games

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
It has to have been mentioned but Shadow of the Collossus.
Beautiful game even for the fact it's not really very smooth to look at.

And an older game that i generally liked the look of, Final Fantasy 9
Sure the graphics were good for the era, but i miss the days when the environments in games didn't have to be 3D, this can of course be set for 7 and 8 as well, but i find 9 to be the more visually appealing of the three.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
Tombi! 2 (tomba for the yanks). It's cartoony graphics make it more appealing than halo. Its that kind that that looks semi real but still gives off an animated aura. And it has a dude with pink hair and no shirt fighting elemental pigs.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Anyone remember how gorgeous the backgrounds and foregrounds were in the Donkey Kong Country games for SNES era graphics? Those games still have some kind of aesthetic awe to them.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Count_de_Monet post=9.73306.791598 said:
I just picked up X3: Reunion the other day and I think that was put out in 2003 but it looks great. Too bad it's boring as hell.
And comes with Starforce. Dump that shit ASAP.

Homeworld 2 for me. Still a gorgeous game (and still one of, if not the best RTSes ever made).

Actually, wait I lied.

Axelay for the SNES.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
I wish that 2-d sprite-based games don't go the way of the dodo. I also wish that these type of games get the Odin Sphere treatment (fluid animations and an almost children's story-book look, thought the slowdown must go). I'm a sucker for those kind of things.

minoes

Aug 28, 2008
In no particular order:

Jet Grind Radio, Space Channel 5, Ikaruga, Skies of Arcadia, Einhänder, Fear Effect, Megaman Legends , Street Fighter 3, and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

BleachedBlind

May 19, 2008
Guilty Gear series, particularly XX Accent Core
Disgaea series
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (amazing game, everything about it)
Legend of Mana for the PS1

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Guilty Gear series, particularly XX Accent Core
Oh hell yes. The set pieces they use for the arenas are all amazingly well done, not to mention every little detail with the character animations/personalities.

I really need to get around to playing Symphony of the Night. Faaarrrr to many people seem to use it as a masturbatory aid.

Oh another on my list:
Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl. It's easy to just yawn it off as yet another 'post-apocalyptic lolfest' on first glance, but that's only if you don't play it. Despite its flaws (which were ironed out by Oblivion Lost), the art direction, especially with the effects around, for instance, the Brain Scorcher, really sucked you right into this very well crafted world.

arrr_matey

Oct 26, 2006
Anyone played the Syberia games? Gameplay is mostly standard adventure game stuff, but the visuals by French graphic artist Benoit Sokal are to die for. And the music is haunting and emotional. And the story gets me all teary-eyed every time I think about it, let alone play it...

http://images.google.ca/images?q=syberia&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Wind Waker, and I'll hack merrily away at the shins of any who disagree.

Also:
Cave Story
Chrono Trigger
Metroid Prime
Most of the Kirby games

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
I'm tempted to say Silent Hill 1. The low resolution of that game made the dilapidated look and rusty metal gratings of the nightmare world even more unsettling (if you can call bloodied walls and rust appealing). It in turn ups the dread factor by a lot.