Not Hardcore Enough to Raise Chickens

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Not Hardcore Enough to Raise Chickens

This farming sim is for serious gamers only. No, seriously.

Read Full Article

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
Woah, too serious for the link to work.
That's serious business.
EDIT: That some seriously fast fixing.
Seriously.
EDIT AGAIN: Awesome. Ahh, makes me reminiscent of the time I first played Harvest Moon for four hours, got seriously pissed, and winged the disk across the house.
Rentals are fun that way.
Seriously.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Meh, I always had massive fun with the GBA one I had, and spent months on it, and I'm definately not what you'd call the hardcore player. It's just another dimension, for the people who want to play it like that, I think. You can do that with a lot of games. Pokemon, for example can be an intricate stat based thing, or an enjoyable romp.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
I played the one on the Gamecube and I had a lot of fun playing it. Its just one of those games that looks simple, but is a greater deal deeper than you originally thought.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
If even hyrule's mightiest hero can't stand against a chicken assault I can only imagine the trials one must go through to raise such a beast. I still remember playing the crap out of this game on the snes. It was pretty good too, but I haven't played one since. It sounds like they've gotten a lot more complicated though so I probably wouldn't enjoy them now.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Meh, I always had massive fun with the GBA one I had, and spent months on it, and I'm definately not what you'd call the hardcore player. It's just another dimension, I think.
Totally agree with you there. When you play a hand-held game it feels so much different, unlike a controller with a main unit.

At least its not like Farmville XD

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I dropped my jaw slightly when I saw "And guides telling you where to stand where you teleport, so you can take fewer steps to get to your location.

*twitch*

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
dududf said:
I dropped my jaw slightly when I saw "And guides telling you where to stand where you teleport, so you can take fewer steps to get to your location.

*twitch*
Ya at that point you have to ask yourself, "Is this really worth it?" And then you realize its harvest moon and say, "Hell no it aint".

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Man... for a second I thought you were talking about Farmville... I am not very formilar with the Harvest moon series though...

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Ahh. Harvest Moon. The only reason I ever bought that device to cheat on my GBA.

Evil, evil, time consuming game.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Sometimes the cartoonish games can surprise you. Heck, I've seen some crazy walkthroughs for Pokemon games to catch everything in one run that just made me wonder why people would put that much effort into what really is a very simple game. Never underestimate fan devotion to a franchise. :eek:

I'm reminded of a game I got to play a few years back in college - people brought their systems to the Rec. Room all the time and we'd mess around. The game in question...I'm not exactly sure of the name as it was an import and in Japanese, but it was a Naruto 4-way multiplayer fighting game, the 4th sequel in the series of such games.

For the first couple of weeks we just had fun mashing around in cartoony FFA glory, which is a perfectly fine way to play the game. It's hard to be serious about a fighting game where there are no teams and everyone can just decide to gang up on one guy on a whim, except they end up knocking the hell out of each other, too, when they miss or use an AE super or some such. But a couple of us started actually studying the game after a while and...well, it got to the point where a couple of us would just overwhelmingly storm the other players with a few characters due to having either figured out or read about things like infinite combos, techniques to quickly refill your chakra, methods for hitting multiple people and getting them to hit each other when they try to counter, etc. For what seemed like a kids' party fighting game it ended up having a fair amount more mechanical depth than I expected. (Granted it's no Guilty Gear, but still more than it looked like it would have.)

For the record: the fat kid's ability to KO someone with a single unblockable grab attack used every time they get up was reminiscent of sweep-chains in Mortal Kombat, but infinitely more frustrating/hilarious. Especially when the other two players just stand back to watch it happen and laugh.

...they, uh...they wouldn't let me use him anymore. >.>;

Spaceman_Spiff

Apr 16, 2009
Finally some respect for how complex Harvest Moon games have become. Seriously, I have put more effort into strategy in Back To Nature than I have in four Total War games.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Hehe, had the same trouble when I looked something up for the GBA version. I thought I was doing well (and I did, I "won") but then I saw I did nothing!

The mine(s) alone are pure madness.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
That sounds awfully familiar to character building in Maplestory. "On level X, put Y skill points in Z skill and collect A mesos in area B from monster type C to buy D grade equipment", is pretty much what the guide advised me to do. Just like you, I kept playing casually and was eventually horribly outperformed by the other players. Not fun.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Is it just me or has anyone ever wondered why these games are so damn addicting? I mean how fun does a farming sim sound when you get down to it? All I know is that you combine farming with cute characters and several translation errors with a bit of programming bugs = 2+ weeks I can never get back because I can't stop playing.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Man... for a second I thought you were talking about Farmville... I am not very formilar with the Harvest moon series though...
Harvest Moon is to Farmville
as
Super Mario Bros. is to ET: The Extra-Terrestrial

jtesauro

Freelance Detective
Nov 8, 2009
So incidentally, this is the first article I've read on my iPhone since joining the publishers club. So totally worth it. Though I admit I initially joined because I figured, Hey, I like the escapist, and those Kidd in Haiti have enough of my money already!

Sheepy

Apr 5, 2010
Makes me miss my GBC version of Harvest Moon. Sure, I couldn't hit on anyone, but it was a simpler time. A much simpler time.