Not Hardcore Enough to Raise Chickens

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Hmm, seems interesting, there is nothing I like better then a game with depth, but I'm already playing enough addictive games as it is, so it probably won't do me any good :p

Jul 9, 2008
Great article, it's nice to see Harvest Moon get some love. Personally, the N64 version owned my childhood.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Shjade said:
For the record: the fat kid's ability to KO someone with a single unblockable grab attack used every time they get up was reminiscent of sweep-chains in Mortal Kombat, but infinitely more frustrating/hilarious. Especially when the other two players just stand back to watch it happen and laugh.

...they, uh...they wouldn't let me use him anymore. >.>;
Chouji is funn to use like that. I remember using him once and just annoying my friends because I would just keep throwing them. Good times.

Skizle said:
Is it just me or has anyone ever wondered why these games are so damn addicting? I mean how fun does a farming sim sound when you get down to it? All I know is that you combine farming with cute characters and several translation errors with a bit of programming bugs = 2+ weeks I can never get back because I can't stop playing.
It's the same reason Pokemon is addicting, your farm isn't some generic farm, it's YOUR farm that you cared for and made your own. Attachments like that can be really powerful.

I remember the N64 version, with its pictures. They were like achievements and you had do accomplish some crazy stuff to get some of them I remember seeing the requirements for the last picture, a picture of you and every NPC in the game. You not only had to have every other picture, but you had to be on good terms with everybody and ship enough food to feed a small country. It's be sort of like playing through Halo or some such, but you can't die and there's a time limit and you have to find every secret in the game. You pretty much have to be able to play a Harvest Moon game with your eyes closed if you want to be able to unlock everything.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I played the one for the gamecube (the first one I think), and It was fun and all, but it ended up being too much work. Now I don't mind a little work, but I live on a farm already, I'm always working there, and when I found I was tricked into working more in my spare time I quit quickly before I became addicted. The pacing of that game can be really taxing too, the amount of free time you have is minimal, when you're wasting time not working. WORK.

danielsharpe1634

Oct 28, 2009
tsk tsk, do you not realize the mighty power of time management?

Harvest Moon and others were just the beginning. Farmville is the unadulterated version of farm-crack

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Wait, what? I thought this game was supposed to be similar to farmville? Yet it is described here as complex et all, while farmville is called simple by everyone? Where does the difference stem from?

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Yeah, kind of like Pokemon is far, far more complicated when you play it the way I do.

1) Plan the team using Serebii.net, taking into consideration stats and types
2) Catch team and nothing else (except a couple HM slaves *rolls eyes*)
3) Beat Elite Four (first time) inside of fifteen hours
4) Go back through and catch all the rest of the Pokemon I missed

People think I'm insane, but I'm just precise.

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
Galad said:
Wait, what? I thought this game was supposed to be similar to farmville? Yet it is described here as complex et all, while farmville is called simple by everyone? Where does the difference stem from?
I've never played Farmville but I believe it doesn't have the following gameplay aspects, which are common in the Harvest Moon series:

1) Exploration
2) Dating
3) Making Friends
4) Gift giving
5) Mining
6) Collecting rare items
7) Attending special events/competitions
8) Raising children
9) Stamina/health maintenance
10) Dealing with natural/supernatural disasters
11) Dog training
12) Horse riding
13) etc.

(i could go on but I have stuff to do today...)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Galad said:
It's similar only in that both involve farming. Harvest Moon is far, far more complex. Establishing relationships with the townsfolk, raising crops the right way to get the highest-rated produce (and therefore the best money), collecting recipes, winning festivals, training your pets (to compete in more festivals)...I tend to describe Farmville as Harvest Moon lite. Many of the same concepts are in place, they're just not taken to the same lengths.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Ah Harvest Moon. If Farmville were more like you, it wouldn't be anywhere near as terrible (and might actually be *gasp* a game instead of a calculator with peer pressure overtones).

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
I remember Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA, I still have it and go on it sometimes. I spent so much time tending the farm, petting the dog, riding the horse and feeding the animals that it became a relaxing routine. Then I found out about the harvest sprites and their drug addict-like craving for flour. Yes, flour. After being bribed with flour they were happy to do all my farm work for me, which I came to regard as a cheap trick so I stopped doing it. I absolutely adore that game in a way I don't think I'll ever experience with another. It's special.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Finally some respect for how complex Harvest Moon games have become. Seriously, I have put more effort into strategy in Back To Nature than I have in four Total War games.
Definitely, although I'm not sure I like the more complex version. It kind of takes away the innocent, idyllic farmlife feel a bit.
And also, your avatar and username elevate you to god-like status. I spent months reading calvin and hobbes. I salute you!

NoblePhilistineFox

Apr 8, 2010
Im sorry miss Arendt, If I could change the game I would.
and harvest moon on the snes was hard, but thats mainly because I was 4(I think) when I got it.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Thats what I call intensive farming. I could give it a try but there is no game for the PC, as far as I know.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Coming from a guy who loves and plays Harvest Moon religiously, let me give some advice: Ignore all in-depth strategy guides. Only use them to find out what a person's favorite gifts are, or if you just have a general question. The last time I played the original Harvest Moon on the SNES, I wanted to do EVERYTHING. All the power berries, all the cows and chickens I could get, with all the cows giving me the best quality milk, complete all the side quests, get two children, earn over a million G.

How did it turn out? It was the least amount of fun I've ever had playing these games, especially when I got to winter of the second year. That game has a horrible lag when more then five or six animals are being rendered, so I had to suffer through slowly milking, brushing, and talking to all 12 of my cows. That alone would take 10 minutes, then I had to go feed my numerous chickens. A single day took me around fifteen minutes to complete, and what's even worse is that time stands still when your indoors. So after all that time spent taking care of the animals, it was still only 6am. What the hell else is there to do in Winter this late in the game? I was already married, I can't grow anything, there's nothing to scavenge for, all the sidequests were completed. I started going to bed at 6am just so I could move on and get through winter.

I just recently started playing it again, only I'm doing things at my own pace. I'm having way more fun then I could ever have with every step of the game already decided for me by a FAQ. Screw trying to get the best ending.

Galad said:
Farmville isn't even in the same league as Harvest Moon. Farmville is just a flash game where all you really do is farm. Think of Harvest Moon as a lot like Animal Crossing with farming, and everything else is much much much more in-depth.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
Galad said:
harvest moon games are ALOT harder, well at least the older ones are(i dont like how the new ones look so i stick to A Wonderful Life and Friends of mineral town) these game contain numerous events and secrets. and these things happen at a certain place and more importantly a certain time. these arent all day events. say an event ur going for happens at 2:20 it will happen at 2:20 on the dot. and these events usually only happen once a year, so if u miss it oh well, hope u remember it next year. also the weather is 100% random, so you can never EVER forget ur animals. also if u have an event that day and it say...snows so much u cant open ur door(this will happen) oh well! better luck next year. this game will also make u pay attention to what people say every character has a certain item they like the most, but they will not tell u what it is. there is no object that Everyone loves.

Basicly... theres alot more Everything in this series.
ill add more if i think of it

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I love Harvest Moon but the one's on the DS Island of happiness and and sunshine island were awful. The controls were wonky, you had to work to hard to make friends and every thing was to expensive. I did play super hardcore on the gamecube one, after four years I had boughten every thing in the game would let me and had about a billon dollars left over, so I just quit because there was nothing more I could do. The secret is a seed maker and tree fruit, and I figured that on way own no strategy guides.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
It's Farmville EXTREMRE edition.

Games can be so deceiving in their appearance - Monster Rancher and Pokemon are testaments of that fact. It's normally the hardcore looking ones that are shallow.