Not Hardcore Enough to Raise Chickens

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Man, Harvest Moon is nothing. Heck, MMOs are nothing. You want hardcore? Run a city in Animal Crossing DS. I bet that game would even make some of WoW's hardest of hardcore cringe. The amount of homework you have to do to get a good city going, and keep it going is insane enough on its own. Then you factor-in the fact that not playing the game for one single day could potentially set you back days or weeks of progress.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
heh i've only played the SNES and N64 harvest moons they were interesting and i never actually bothered with walktroughs i got trough the game just fine maybe not as quickly as some but i got there in the end.

I prefer the runefactory though atleast you can bash some monsters head in if you get bored of farming..

Taddy

Jan 28, 2010
Always enjoyed Harvest Moon but yeah only walkthrough i used were the ones about who liked what. Everything else was just so dam complex.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
That's the attraction of games like Harvest Moon, The Sims and other such simulator-style games.
They have hidden complexity, normally just because if the complexity was not hidden it would scare away the general audience before anyone could get used to playing the game, so the current set up allows people to take it nice and slow and eventually understand all of the basics before they move onto the confusing stuff.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Takes me back to the few days I spent playing that one on the DS.
God now I want to forget it :(

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Akalabeth said:
EDIT - suhweet, probation! yeah!
Probation? me? I think you'll find that I'm going to behave... in a manner not befitting polite communication.

You've ruined everything!

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I loved Harvest Moon on the SNES.
I also thought I was pretty good the first time I finished it, had the florist as a wife, the stables were bursting with cattle and chicken and overall the farm was very profitable.
And then the parents returned just to tell me 'wtf did you do in those 2.5 years we were gone on our cruise? lazy bastard!'.
Second playthrough I now married the bar girl after very short time, the stables were bursting just a little later, the farm was very profitable despite a summer full of tornados. In the end I had a child, the biggest possible house etc. and I felt like I had achieved nearly everything I could in that playthrough.
'Hey, we're back from our cruise! It is interesting what you (or mainly the dog) did to the carpets but you should have really worked much harder, lazy bastard!'

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
This is why I don't play cute games.

You think to yourself, "I think I'll just play this in my free time." then you achieve something, "wow that's cool. what else can I do?" then you start working, "awesome, this isn't so hard." then you go fishing, "this is pretty fun." then you're farm/home/city starts to grow, "man that was totally worth it." then your city is destroyed by the weather/natural disaster/aliens "Oh no! I have to rebuild!"

then before you know it what you thought was going to be 1/2 an hour of play time a day turns into 6 hours. then your 6 turns to 8, your 8 turns to 14, the 14 becomes becomes 16 and then you're are just waking up to run your virtual life, have your character go to sleep, then you go to sleep soon after only to do the same thing over again tomorrow.

I play Mafia Wars. I play Restaurant City. I play Farmville. Once upon a time...

Now I just play Pokemon.

speaking of which, I need to get more BPs so I can get power items to properly breed my pokemon to have the best possible IVs, then breed those pokemon until I have the proper natures and IVs. then I have to train my pokemon in the proper EPs to get them to be the strongest they could possibly be. Then I need to use those pokemon to get more BPs to get that team the proper movesets.

yeah, I just don't have time for those flash games anymore...

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
daemon37 said:
Galad said:
Wait, what? I thought this game was supposed to be similar to farmville? Yet it is described here as complex et all, while farmville is called simple by everyone? Where does the difference stem from?
I've never played Farmville but I believe it doesn't have the following gameplay aspects, which are common in the Harvest Moon series:

3) Making Friends
4) Gift giving
6) Collecting rare items
7) Attending special events/competitions
9) Stamina/health maintenance
11) Dog training

(i could go on but I have stuff to do today...)
Actually, these things are in FarmVille. No need to just spout off randomly stuff that Harvest Moon has and assume it's not in FV.

And still, can someone answer if they've made a point to actually planting crops in a HM game yet? Generally the bazillion other, more fun activities you can do are significantly more profitable.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Oh god, Harvest Moon.. Thanks for the flash backs, I remember sinking in days at a time in to that game! Its been one of the few games that I've started playing in a morning and the next thing I know its dark outside.

I've also looked at some of the FAQs for the number of different games and felt very small.

It is the ultimate guilty pleasure game, anyone who has played this surely agrees with me on that one.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
You shouldn't worry about not finishing an HM game, I've got loads of em and I've not "finished" a single one! There're main purpose, in my view, is as an excellent chilled-out passtime when you're stoned, equalled only by Fable 2.

And as for calling a cow "steak", I prefer giving the sheep names such as "Lambchop" and "Mutton".

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Love me some Harvest Moon. At least, one I can stop grinding my farms and hire the sprites to do it.

The family building aspect is the part I liked.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Mutie said:
You shouldn't worry about not finishing an HM game, I've got loads of em and I've not "finished" a single one! There're main purpose, in my view, is as an excellent chilled-out passtime when you're stoned, equalled only by Fable 2.

And as for calling a cow "steak", I prefer giving the sheep names such as "Lambchop" and "Mutton".
'Natch. Also calling a horse "Glue" really gets the kids upset.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mutie said:

I go with "Lanolin" for the sheep.

KushinLos

Jun 28, 2008
I played the first one as a ROM. Have so far bought all but maybe three of the games. The first Gameboy one got me through a couple of months of bare subsistence. At the time I was barely able to make rent, pay electricity and get to work. Rationed pizza so I didn't starve. The game kept me from thinking about how hungry I was getting. Lost seventeen pounds during that timeframe.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I love Harvest Moon but will never master it. Evar. Still, I love the social concepts that emerge from it. I'd love to see more simulation games where you interact with characters and townsfolk in this manner, but it seems the opportunity for such games is more uncommon than preferred.

Still, I don't let it bother me. I'll never be the very best, that no one ever was, at training Pokemon. To catch them may be my real test and training them to be my cause, but as long as I travel across the land searching far and wide I can teach them the power that's inside.

Pokemon.

Gotta catch them all.

Sorry, I don't know how that happened. My point is, a good game allows you to enjoy it and find fulfillment without having to do all that crazy ass hardcore shit. Pokemon and Harvest Moon are both well designed games.

EDIT: I've been known to name my cows "Rare", "Medium", "Well Done" (when the game allows so many characters), sheep "Mutton" and "Sweater", I think I named my horse "Glue" once, and chicken "Poultry", "Colonel", "Fried", "Grill" and "Rotisserie" (again, when the game permitted that many characters).

First time I played when I was a kid I think I simply named the dog "Dog".

Bilbo536

Sep 24, 2009
I always name my animals after video game quotes I find funny, mostly inspired by the old Zelda CD-i games. My stables can be found to be chalk full of "Mah boi"s, "Squadala"s, and "Dinner"s.