Not trolling but common sense and fact, Is the Xbox one dead?

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
This is all the signs anyone should need, desperation that seems almost sad, betting the farm, if the investors can be believed that lightning will strike twice and Minecraft 2 will be a breakaway hit... Think about that for a second... Minecraft 2... Wow, Microsoft games is so out of touch, and if they keep it exclusive do they think it will sell enough to pull in 2.5 Billion to break even??!?!?! This little "investment" is going to bite them in the ass. Happy for Notch though, made out like a bandit with that deal, he might as well have robbed them.

A year after release, and XBone is looking to a software Hail Mary (DX12) to save the abysmal performance. Not to mention leaking exclusives like a sieve, imagine the first party exclusives or new indie games that look promising they could have lured with 2.5 Billion?... Microsoft Games/XBone will be the first to go, as consoles choke out their final death rattle.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Evonisia said:
Judging by the numbers, I think this is still a case of people needing to realise that less success =/= failure.
In fact, the real story should be that the PS4 is doing goooooood.

Tuesday Night Fever said:
I hope not, because competition is a good thing. I'd rather have a few companies all trying to do things better than each other than a single company that no longer gives a shit because it's the only game in town.
The odds that Microsoft would leave the business and nobody picked up the slack are pretty slim.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
The only way the Xbox One will die is if Microsoft give up on it they literally have enough cash to sustain it even if nobody bought one if they so chose. Thats basically how they roll just muscle the way in and then when they get dominance try and lock everything down and force people to do things their way luckily they got told where to go this time.

It looks like its dead in Japan though from what I have heard and seen (even more so than the 360). In America they will keep going until management or shareholders decide otherwise. Its not having the dominance of the 360 but its far from dead and lets not forget 360 became a success for a number of reasons not least Sony being complete arrogant prats with the price of the PS3 thinking the idiot masses will just throw money at them. In the end they had to lower the price and then it took them ages to catch up and although worldwide they apparently did slightly better in a few (key) territories they were far outsold by the 360.

Now MS decided to be even more idiotic not only pricing themselves out of the market for an inferior machine no less but announcing restrictions and features many actively did not want. I dont think they will make it back this gen but they are in a better situation than Nintendo who cant seem to turn their image around or get devs interested in working with their machine.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
I sincerely hope not since I just put money down on the Call Of Duty bundle.

Would of gone PS4, but I feel attached to my Gamertag
I'm grabbing that bundle too, althought I got a PS4 at launch and it'll be my main console for this gen. I would have waited for a lower price but damn does that console look nice, and with a 1TB HDD I figured "bugga it".

Next will be a Wii U, if I can find space for my current consoles.......

.... ..... shit.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
You can not say that the One is dead until you wait what happens when the Master Chief collection and the new Halo game will do to it. Heck, there are plenty of other exclusives on the way too. But Halo is the most important one. It invented XBL, fuck, online console FPS as a whole. Halo 2 was the most popular game on the original Xbox. On the 360, Halo 3 had millions of users online in it's first years, it was on par or above Modern Warfare. It spawned a competitive gaming scene. We had Halo pros on fucking Dr. Pepper cans, a car company sponsoring tournaments, Halo was on American television (USA network, ESPN 2), Astro is still supporting the scene... the list goes on. There was so much hype around Halo back then. At that time, almost every high schooler and college student in the US played Halo 1-3 at some point of his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Q-m2Ki63Q Little hype video to give you a better picture about what I mean.

But then Halo Reach and Halo 4 happened, bending the successfull Halo-formula more towards Call of Duty. The XBox system seller was not unique anymore. Less and less people gave a shit.

So we have this one game series that had a big impact on many gamers lives. The game series that was the only reason for many people to buy an Xbox console.

Then the XBox One came out and we had next to nothing game-wise. Especially no Halo.
But a few months ago they announced the Master Chief collection. People not interested in competitive play may not give a shit about this, but it is a dream coming true for every Halo fan out there. Halo 1, for the first time, can be played online. Halo 2 is back online. Resolution and FPS upgrades, dedicated servers, Halo 2 anniversary being pretty close to the original, Halo 5 Guardians said to be focused on Arena FPS and getting a Beta months before the offical release so that the feedback actually can be used (Fuck you Bungie!)... it's an awesome time to be a Halo fan.

I don't know if one game series can make the Xbox One the most successfull console of the current generation, especially in these times. But Halo definetily can get Microsoft plenty of more sales. We will have to wait to see it's impact.

TL;DR: No it is not dead because Halo.

Also @ OP: Saying a system is dead after one fucking year is quite dumb. As long as one Xbox One user is online, the system is pretty much alive. Someone bigger/more popular being around does not make you insignificant. Sorry but I am pretty convinced that you are trolling.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Pyrian said:
Isn't this just a semantic game? What constitutes "dead" in this context? It's not in the lead, it may well never be in the lead, does that make it dead?
I'd say it's dead when MS announces they're not making games for it anymore, which hasn't happened. But yeah, this is a case of Sony doing much better and that's it.

Mar 30, 2010
Fonejackerjon said:
Desperation, pure undiluted desperation. Price cut to £329. No kinect. The public STILL don't want to know.

If I'm wrong why not release sales figures? Sony has, doing very well.

Yes, people may argue 'give it time' 'give it time.'

Like they said for the PS vita. In two years the Xbone one will be dead. Mark my words. This isnt trolling this is common sense and fact.
I think the reason that the Xbox One isn't selling too well (over here at least) is that Microsoft haven't adjusted their pricing. Shortly after launch the US Xbox One was reduced to $400 (£240) but the UK version remains - as you say - at £330. The US version was dropped in price to improve sales there, but the UK version has remained pretty much the same in terms of price and so the sales figures have not improved accordingly.

Also, the Xbox is still building up it's back-catalogue of games. There are very few titles out for it at the moment that look worth the expense of a new console (none, if you want my opinion) and until there are a healthy number of worthwhile titles out there to make 360 users like myself abandon our collection of existing games (which can't be played on the non-backwards compatible One, remember) sales will not pick up. I can only speak for myself and my friends, but there are only two of my clan-mates who have bought Ones so far, and although there are more than twenty of us who are considering eventually making the switch, the key phrase there is eventually.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Tired of that phrase being tossed around so willy nilly. Seemingly not doing as well as a competitor isn't dead.

Note: I have neither a PS4 or an XBoxOne and no plans to buy either.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Way too early to call. It's launch is most certainly slow an uneventful, but frankly with this generation of consoles it isn't exactly special in that regard.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
No it's not. Yes, it sold worse than the PS4, but a console 'generation' lasts for longer than one year. And if I were personally to get a new console, it would probably be the Xbox One; at least they attempted some innovation.

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
If it doesn't start pulling in some serious cash after two or three more years, then I believe it would be safe to say that it is dead.

Until then, it just seems to have a very rocky start, what with all that Microsoft wanted it to do and the subsequent rage and policy shifts.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
krazykidd said:
Oh and WIIU is dead because it STILL has no games.
And the other two systems do? I've got 9 games[footnote]
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Rayman Legends
Mario Kart 8
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
New Super Mario Bros. U
Hyrule Warriors
[/footnote] for the Wii U so far, with Smash, Zelda, Splatoon and Bayonetta 2 on my "to buy" list (maybe Xenoblade too - haven't decided yet). It was a slow start but my Wii U has seen a ton of gameplay over the last 6 months or so.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
No. But it might be on life support. Been a while since I checked, but Wii U had more sales overall than Xbox One in the past. Hell, they sold 50,000 consoles in Japan at launch officially being the worst console launch in Japanese history! (Not that Japan was ever Xbox territory by any stretch of the imagination.)

Most damning would be their lack of dominance in North America, where the 360 was King. Today The PS4 is winning in every market.

Xbox One is struggling and can't even use the "PS3 Defense" as it had a year disadvantage. If all things were equal, they would likely be neck and neck. All the Xbox has at this point is people who are holding on to their gamertags or friend's lists. That's literally the only reason I hear people say they are going Xbox One.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Saltyk said:
No. But it might be on life support. Been a while since I checked, but Wii U had more sales overall than Xbox One in the past. Hell, they sold 50,000 consoles in Japan at launch officially being the worst console launch in Japanese history! (Not that Japan was ever Xbox territory by any stretch of the imagination.)

Most damning would be their lack of dominance in North America, where the 360 was King. Today The PS4 is winning in every market.

Xbox One is struggling and can't even use the "PS3 Defense" as it had a year disadvantage. If all things were equal, they would likely be neck and neck. All the Xbox has at this point is people who are holding on to their gamertags or friend's lists. That's literally the only reason I hear people say they are going Xbox One.
I heard it was around the 25000 mark for 4 days on sale basically just over a third of what the 360 did in two days there and way behind the original Xbox. As for worst launch ever possibly I think some Neo Geo handheld consoles sold less but I dont think they were ever meant to shift loads anyway being extremely high price consoles with a few expensive and excellent games. I did not realise until someone pointed it out that the Xbox basically translates as the no box for Japan x basically being wrong and circle being correct hence the confusing selection on some PS1 games for some people notably FFVII where it was circle to go forward and X to back out or cancel.

I am always surprised about peoples attachments to their gamertags and friends lists probably because I have a lot of different tags and have had lots of consoles while I can just add my friends on another list if I wanted most I know in RL anyway. I was also surprised that people hold onto things like Achievements and Trophies and use excuses about not switiching from one console to another because of things like I like the controller, again maybe I dont see it because I have used so many controllers that I can get used to different ones usually pretty quickly but I have never let a controller dictate my console of choice that just seems idiotic unless all other factors were equal.

I will say though that Xbox One doing far worse than the PS4 is one thing dying is another and with the similar architecture it shouldnt be to hard for devs to make games for both machines im not sure how many non western games we will see for the Xbox though I think that lack of variety will hurt it in the end.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I was under the impression the Xbox one is actually doing well, just not when compared to the PS4. If the only barometer for success is being no1.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Fonejackerjon said:
Desperation, pure undiluted desperation. Price cut to £329. No kinect. The public STILL don't want to know.

If I'm wrong why not release sales figures? Sony has, doing very well.

Yes, people may argue 'give it time' 'give it time.'

Like they said for the PS vita. In two years the Xbone one will be dead. Mark my words. This isnt trolling this is common sense and fact.
Absolutely not. I still have alot of trouble understanding how anyone can come to this conclusion! The Xbox One is selling better than the Xbox 360 did during this same time period, its their biggest console launch to date, and it IS SELLING. The visuals arent reflecting this, because the PS4 is selling even better, and at rates not even Sony predicted. Its overshadowing the Xbox One for now, sure, but that doesnt mean that the Xbox One is failing. As already pointed out, the PS3 went through the same thing.

Also, I am going to point out the obvious. You say Sony is doing very well? Think again. Sure, their Playstation division is doing well, but they PREDICTED a .5 billion dollar loss for this fiscal year, and they were wrong. Turns out, its a 2.2 billion dollar loss, muuuuuch higher than they had expected. They are bleeding terribly, so irregardless of how well the PS4 is doing, your concern doesnt need to be wasted on Xbox, because Microsoft is NOT financially hurting. The PS4 could keep right on doing as well as it has been, and unless Sony turns the rest of their company around, than the Playstation could be the one on the chopping block. They are in far more danger than the Xbox division. Hell, Microsoft could even wind up BUYING the Playstation brand, if Sony continues to post losses like this. (For the record, I do NOT want that to happen. That would be terrible.)

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
It all depends on what high-profile exclusive deals MS is/will manage to seal. If 'none' or 'not many' the gap with PS4 will become bigger and bigger. They still have time though. Besides Sony there isn't really any competition on the console market and so early on in what is essentially still an (extended) launch period there is still ample opportunity for such a huge conglomerate like MS to turn things around. Considering there isn't much in the pipeline for Xbone this fall/winter I don't see MS driving up sales-figures for this holiday season but beyond that they still have atleast the entirety of 2015 to make amends.

Considering the games Sony have in production for PS4 they have a lot to live up to though. It's not too late for Xbone, yet, but MS definitely has to make some kind of impression in 2015 to get people interested in it. Competition is a good thing though so I hope Xbone stays around.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
NoeL said:
krazykidd said:
Oh and WIIU is dead because it STILL has no games.
And the other two systems do? I've got 9 games[footnote]
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Rayman Legends
Mario Kart 8
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
New Super Mario Bros. U
Hyrule Warriors
[/footnote] for the Wii U so far, with Smash, Zelda, Splatoon and Bayonetta 2 on my "to buy" list (maybe Xenoblade too - haven't decided yet). It was a slow start but my Wii U has seen a ton of gameplay over the last 6 months or so.
WiiU has no game is not litteral. Also tons of gameplay =/= tons of games. I have a grand total of 2 games on my ps4. One of which was final fantasy 14:ARR. In the last 5 months my ps4 spent more time on than off. Tons of gameplay but i only have 2 games for it. Yet i wouldn't say the ps4 has no games especially compared to the WIIU.

The problem is, in my opinion, the WIIU has no "worthwild" games, except MAYBE mariokart. Where is metroid? Where is kirby? Where is zelda ( no that dynasty warrior knock off is no subsitute)? Where are the games we know and love from nintendo?

Again this is my opinion, and i trully hope , the wiiu does well, and we get a lot more games.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
At the rate Sony is going the PS4 will be dead before Xb1. See MS has tons of cash, they can take a hit and they can play the long game with the XB1. Sony cant, if they dont sort themselves out soon then they will go bankrupt so the PS4 being successful will not save them. Hopefully both consoles will do well for another next gen console release. Its to close to call, still 8 - 9 years to go and i would be surprised if their is a Sony around by the end of that time and they will go the way of Sega.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
No Microsoft ain't buried, please stop with these threads people. Putting someone over doesn't bury you, grab a little momentum and bam nobody really cares all that much about the previous losses. Besides Microsoft is still in the main event scene, its not like they are jobbing to the lowcard or something.

Fonejackerjon said:
You may be right but I have never seen a company get this desperate, this quickly, I don't know why call it a hunch but something does feel different about this console generation, Every console generation up until this point has some kind of wow factor last gen it was HD now what do we have? nothing.

Sorry but better frame rates and 1080p just wont cut it.
And with that the nature of this thread is revealed.

Strelok said:
Microsoft Games/XBone will be the first to go, as consoles choke out their final death rattle.
Yeah record crowds, merch sales, and TV audiences is a death rattle *rolls eyes*.

I commend you for at least having the good sense to never reply to people calling you out on that blatant lie, but considering how no-one even really bothers anymore I think your credibility is shot.
You should aim to be as credible as Undertaker, not Demon/Corporate/Scuba/Malibu/Safari Kane.