Notch Challenges Bethesda to Lawsuit Deathmatch

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Custard_Angel said:
I'm fairly certain that the developers behind Bethesda would be all for this, but the bean counters and lawyers will override them and force this to the court.

In which case Notch will just drop it anyway.

It's only a name. No real reason to go to court over that.
There's reason to go to court over names, I mean these are brand names we're talking about. But this particular case is just silly.

Someone calling their product "Super iPod" would be grounds for a lawsuit, but a lawsuit over someone using "Scrolls" because it's one word out of the rarely used title "The Elder Scrolls" is just lawyers desperately trying to make themselves relevant.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
I wonder.......Purely hypothetical

what would happen if Notch would chance the title into 'The Elder'?

But yeah, it would be nice if Bethesda has the balls to go along with this.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
There's NO way Bethesda's gonna agree to this. There's no possibility of them getting their money if they do it this way.

cp2u

Jul 28, 2009
Honestly, I think this could really happen. Something like this would be great publicity for both of them, and would draw a lot of attention to both Scrolls and Skyrim, and that's probably why Notch is doing it in the first place.

Then again, lawyers.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
This is how all legal disputes should be settled. Instead of hiring lawyers, you just have an in-game battle and the results determine who wins the case.

Let's hope this catches on.

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
This is how all game trademark disputes should be settled. Notch is made of win.

Jul 9, 2008
BlastedTheWorm said:
Is this just so court doesn't interfere with his constant vacations?
Constant vacations? Last year, he took about 100 days off. There are 108 weekend days in a year. That sounds completely reasonable to me.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
I love Notch. He's finally suggested the solution that I've wanted for these conflicts.
Deathmatch!

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
There are times that it's hard to be a gamer, and you hold you head under the shit thrown your way...then you see stories like this and realize just why you love video games again. A company challenging another company to a video game to decide what to do...that's epic man, that's just fucking amazing...thank you video games industry, for doing something so...*sniff*...wonderfully awesome

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Solving legal issues with video games bout fucking time. Also the deathmatch better be streamed or it never happened.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
And that is how you win the heart of gamers. Well, quite a lot of gamers, that is. I think. Don't quote me on that!!!
But yeah, I'd say this was a cool move by Notch, tho we would be living in a really epic world if Bethesda actually accepted.
Oh well...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
notch, will you marry me?
You are the awesomest thing to happen to gaming in at least 5 years.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
Notch just went from an pretty cool indie developer to the most awesome, badass person in existence.

ipop@you

Oct 3, 2008
I think I'd much prefer this if it was Notch v Todd personally in a 1 match, highest frags wins type affair just to really ramp up the tension I know it'll never happen though... Ah well this'll do just so long as they stream it live.