Notch Challenges Bethesda to Lawsuit Deathmatch

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
This is an awesome idea.

Too bad Bethesda is full of dicks and they're probably just going to continue the lawsuit anyway.

Norks

Jan 21, 2010
I like this idea, go Notch, now if only he weren't such a dick otherwise...

SuperGauntlet

Jun 26, 2011
Faladorian said:
This is asinine.

You don't settle a court case by playing Quake. Legal problems are solved legally. Notch is a fool to think otherwise, even if he is joking (which, evidently, he isn't).
Here's the problem: Bethesda has almost no case to stand on.

This is either Mojang humilating Bethesda's lawyers further for being morons, or Notch just looking for an excuse to shoutcast a Q3 LAN.

Probably both.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Traun said:
Andy Chalk said:
Well, Bethesda? What say you?
Considering that they are first class dicks, they'd probably go with it in court.
Well, like most of the industry, Bethasda (and Zenimax, it's parent company) has a third party to take care of copyright infridgement and other forms of legal hassles. Bethasda has little control on what that legal team does or does not do because of the contracts they have with that legal team.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Why doesn't notch sue fortresscraft because he has minecraft trade-marked?
But really, ballsy move.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
PixelKing said:
Why doesn't notch sue fortresscraft because he has minecraft trade-marked?
But really, ballsy move.
Because he's not a dick? He knows he's not going to lose money off it and quite frankly and indie game dev suing an indie game dev seems in bad taste.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Ah it would be awesome if they agreed. but im pretty sure the cool dev department has absolutely nothing to do with the pencil pushers in legal. So nice publicity stunt for Notch. Juvenile at best for Bethesda.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
While this is a much better way of solving their disagreements than having douchebags in expensive suits shout at each other for several hours, when I read "Lawsuit Deathmatch" I was hoping that would involve locking their respective teams of lawyers in a huge warehouse somewhere with guns and stuff and have them attempt to kill each other and whoever has the most left standing wins.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Bethesda should do it. First, this way they get publicity too. Second, it's obvious that Bethesda guys will win.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Get Totalbiscuit casting this and we could have officially found a new justice system.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
cardinalwiggles said:
sounds like a cool way of doing it. however for bethesda that might bring about a president where they have to accept all challenges for quake fights for ALL copyrights sounds a bit risky for them.
Hardly.
THe game is called Scrolls, so its just barely a copyright-worthy claim at all.
That'd be like Microsoft and Bungie getting mad because someone named the main character of an FPS, John. Or that main character was genetically engineered to be a total badass in power armor.

OP: I certainly hope Bethesda accepts the challenge. It'd be nice to know that not everything has to be sorted out by stupid lawyers, and that the gaming industry can sort out their frivolous problems, with gaming.

BRB, Challenging Bungie to a game of Mech Assault for rights to using a giant anti-son of a ***** machine/god's own hula-hoop, for a game.

Wardi Boi

Aug 8, 2011
The shit is about to hit the fan!

I hope there is a video of this if it happens with a live audience with people wearing shirts of the team they want to win or something along those lines. I'd cry with joy if that actually happened.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Bethesda would never agree something like this, but I think that it is a great idea none the less... lets see who has the better gamers.