Notch Gives $3 Million to Mojang Employees

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
LobsterFeng said:
DVS BSTrD said:
For a guy who made millions off a game about mining, Notch really isn't that vein.
Dang it, I was on a streak of not finding puns funny.

Did Notch keep any of that money for himself?
He made so freaking much out of Minecraft sales (5 million copies sold, even if You multiply it by early beta price, considering he distributed, published and sold it on his own is over 50 million) that he probably didn't see reason to keep even more of it for himself. Still, nice move from his side. Good to see people not wasting money for just swimming in them in their spare time, but actually rewarding their employees.

Wil213

A Hack
Apr 1, 2010
Its good to see that there is some sort of soul driving a games company, and staying aflot without selling it. He really is starting to seem like an awesome guy. Just hope 'Minecraft' stays populer. Wouldnt want to lose a nice guy from the industry 'cos people got bored.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Wow...that's one hell of a move.

I'm wondering though. Has the rate of Minecraft units sold decreased or is it steady? 5 million sales is a lot but how many more people will buy it? Mojang can't keep this lavish giveaways (thinking of Psychonauts here too) without putting another game on the market soonish.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well that's not really something you need to brag about, however, well done Notch.

He seems pretty liberal with his money... hopefully he gets some good games out the door or else he might find hard times ahead.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
Well that's not really something you need to brag about, however, well done Notch.

He seems pretty liberal with his money... hopefully he gets some good games out the door or else he might find hard times ahead.
Notch? Working on games? Fat chance. Scrolls will flop and Mojang will be out like a light. Kinda sad but whatever. Save us all, Jeb!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
It's official Notch is the best boss in the world. Can I have a job Notch? I don't know much about programming but I make great coffee :p

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im getting the feeling alot of people suddently want in on Mojang and thier licence to print money.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
I may think his game is a bag of shit. But even I'll admit that's a pretty damn cool thing to do. Even if he did only do it to brag about, I'm sure his employees aren't concerned about his motives.
Everything he does is to gain attention. Still, what he did has a positive effect so it doesn't matter I guess.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Sober Thal said:
I don't like how he's bragging about this. Just like the people who just have to tell you how much they they donate to a charity. Let the people who received the money decide if they want the world to know.

Other than that, that's pretty damn awesome Notch.
This was my first thought, but it did quickly change to, "Well, that's a pretty cool thing to do."

I guess regardless of why people do something good, as long as they do good, right?

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Nothing wrong with being nice, for attention or not.
So long as you wouldn't be evil for that same attention.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Hopefully his business continues to do well, enabling him to continue with lavish payments to employees and promises of large investments to publish sequels to beloved commercial failures.

I'd hate for him to end up living in a van down by the river in a few years. If I had a 3 million dollar dividend from my company, I'd STUFF MY MATTRESS WITH GOLD and then give the rest to the company as a bonus.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Sandytimeman said:
Also speaking of minecon I still have a bad taste in my mouth on that whole deal with Yogscast.
Really? I love watching YogsCast videos too, but I'm not going to hate him for bitching about them.

He's a cool guy, and even though he has a big mouth, I still respect him. And the YogsCast for handling it so professionally.

But seriously, I think we should let that one drop now.

Dalvyn

Sep 4, 2011
Spartan1362 said:
Nothing wrong with being nice, for attention or not.
So long as you wouldn't be evil for that same attention.
I agree with this guy ^
Honestly, I thing doing good things deserve attention. I'm sick of hearing about layoffs and other terrible places screwing people over.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
IamQ said:
Qitz said:
$150,000 a person is a pretty nice little bonus to get.

Does he really call them "Mojangsta?" That's really weird. Even for Sweden.

Converting 150,000 dollars to our currency here in Sweden... wow. Nearly a million crowns. That's one helluva bonus.

Dude. DUDE. Putting that into perspective...Jesus christ, man, that's about two year's pay up here in Norway if you've got a good/great job.
You know what guys? I don't give a toss if this was just for the attention, the man is insane in all the right ways, first making minecraft, Showing up on and donating several thousand to Desert Bus for Hope 5, then co-partnering with lego, then pretty much single-handedly funding psychonauts 2 and now THIS? Jesus.Fucking.Christ. He is a saint amongst gamers and the raddest human being I know of.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
And this is why we defend Notch and Mojang. As popular as they are (and we all know the internet hates popular things), they're nice guys and it's great to see them this successful.