Notch in No Hurry to Bring Minecraft to Steam

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Notch in No Hurry to Bring Minecraft to Steam

Markus "Notch" Persson says Minecraft still isn't on Steam because he's not entirely comfortable with Valve's digital distribution dominance.

The biggest indie PC game of all time, the most popular PC digital distribution platform on the planet - it's a natural fit, right? And yet if you go poking around on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com], you'll eventually notice that Minecraft isn't there. Why not?

A year ago, Notch explained on his blog [http://notch.tumblr.com/post/9550850116/why-no-steam-notch] that while he's a big fan of Steam as a gamer, the platform limits a lot of what he can do as a developer, particularly with regard to user interactions and DLC sales. Those limitations have since been pretty much eliminated and yet Notch remains wary, saying that Mojang is still reluctant to submit Minecraft to Steam "without knowing more about what we want to do."

"As much as I love Steam, I do somewhat worry about the PC as a gaming platform becoming owned by a single entity that takes 30 percent of all PC games sold," he told PC Gamer. "I'm hoping for a future where more games can self-publish and use social media and friends to market their games. Perhaps there's something we could do to help out there? I don't know. If nothing else, we might work as an inspiration for people to self-publish."

"We're trying to figure out what we want to do long term with the position we have now. We only recently decided to stay as independent as possible and canceled an unannounced project that we were doing in collaboration with someone else," he added. "It's going to be an interesting future."

That canceled project is presumed to be "Rex Kwon Do," something I'd never heard of but which Mojang killed [https://twitter.com/notch/status/226020149742927873] last week "to focus on Minecraft, Scrolls and eventually 0x10c that we own 100 percent ourselves instead."

Strategic positioning is nice. So too is money, and even though it's coming up on two years since the Minecraft beta went live, it's still selling like gangbusters. Minecraft.net [http://www.minecraft.net/store] says that 10,709 people bought the game within the past 24 hours, which totals $288,607 and change in sales - and, at 30 percent, a cut of over $86,500 for Valve. That's $2.6 million per month, folks, or $31.2 million per year. That's an awful lot of money just to rent a spot for an already wildly-successful game on Steam, don't you think?

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/25/notch-on-why-minecraft-still-isnt-on-steam/]

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Cool, don't see any issue here. Minecraft really doesn't need the visibility Steam might provide.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
Hmmmm that's odd. I'd heard that Steam is much easy on the developer than XBLA.
He needs to be on XBLA to reach out to XBox gamers, but on the PC he can self publish without a third party since it was popular enough to go madly viral.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Eric the Orange said:
Yeah, but that's because of how terrible Microsoft is, not how awesome Valve is.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Cool, a pc dev who's willing to take a hit on sales to make a point. Pretty neat.
Although as DVS BSTrD said, everyone already has it so putting it on steam wouldn't help much.

Notch is still an asshole though >.>

rustybroomhandle

Jun 21, 2011
The Plunk said:
So has Mojang completely given up on Cobalt, or is the gaming media just not talking about anything that happens to it?
Cobalt is being developed by Oxeye Game Studio - and it's still being updated frequently - http://www.oxeyegames.com/

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hmmm. internet messiah Notch vs. internet messiah Valve.

I wonder how many people will just melt down dealing with the conflict.

Eric the Orange said:
Notch (and others) have said that he got a much superior deal. Valve probably doesn't want to give them a similar break.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GeneralTwinkle said:
Cool, a pc dev who's willing to take a hit on sales to make a point. Pretty neat.
Although as DVS BSTrD said, everyone already has it so putting it on steam wouldn't help much.

It also means he's not really taking a hit in sales.

Buretsu said:
If he put it on Steam, it might be a lot easier to give people access to Mods, which is where the bulk of the fun of Minecraft is.
It also means spending extra money and adding layer of DRM to his game, when mods seem to be fairly prevalent already.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'd like to hear Valve's side of this, it seems to be a lot of Notch complaining. If anything he could throw Desura a bone for crying out loud.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Perhaps there's something we could do to help out there? I don't know. If nothing else, we might work as an inspiration for people to self-publish
Balls, balls, balls. Notch doesn't want to share some of his profit with Steam, because he does not need to, he has no need for further exposure, the Minecraft fanboys did that for free for many years so he could fill bathtubs with their money and swim in them while delivering possibly the most horribly incomplete videogame of the last 20 years. Fuck. Right. Off.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
I'd like to hear Valve's side of this, it seems to be a lot of Notch complaining. If anything he could throw Desura a bone for crying out loud.
Valve's side to what? Are they going to claim "No, we're not the biggest PC distributor"? All this is is Notch explaining why he isn't likely to bring Minecraft to Steam; I doubt that Valve is going to tank their sales on purpose just to get one game to sign-up.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Ooh, this should be interesting. Notch fanboys versus Valve fanboys.

Anyways, Minecraft couldn't really get much more popular than it already is, so I have my doubts putting it on Steam would turn out to be beneficial in the long run. Just my hunch though.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I find it odd that he hopes to be an 'inspiration for others to self-publish'. Honestly, I love the convenience of Steam and the stability it provides as a platform for indie games. It not only provides as easy way of finding new indie games, but it also provides forums for finding information about the game as well as support. (There's been more than one game where I made my purchasing decision based on an 'Is it worth it?' thread)

Certainly Notch/Mojang and others have proven that self-publishing can work, but speaking as a gamer I am far more comfortable with only giving my credit card details to one company with an established history rather than some guy with a game I've never heard of.

Steam could use some serious competition, especially since the only competitor with the resources to really threaten Valve's dominance (EA) seems content to keep unloading bullets into its own foot, but digital distribution services are overall a good thing for indie developers I think.

Perhaps Notch could put Minecraft on GOG.com instead if he wants to provide competition for Valve? GOG does some things better than Steam (ZERO DRM), so if they could get a few high profile exclusives they could start working as serious competition for Valve.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
GeneralTwinkle said:

It also means he's not really taking a hit in sales.
Well, yes and no. It's true that Minecraft doesn't really need any outside help to get sales, but do you really think that companies like Activision or EA (pre-Origin) needed Steam to get sales? No, probably not; but going with Steam is a boost in sales, so they took it anyway. So even though Minecraft is selling just fine without Steam, Notch is still passing on what would be an easy cash grab if he put his games on Steam.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Whether or not he's missing out on cash is questionable. It's only a benefit if the number of sales he gains is greater than the percentage of money lost because of paying Steam. If he only gets 5% more sales and starts losing 30% of the profit, he's not coming out ahead there.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
I'm not sure how it matters that one is complaining when one's complaints are valid. Valve does control more of the digital games distribution market than anyone other than Valve should be comfortable with. Things are fine right now, but in the long run, market dominance is bad for the consumer.

Besides, XBLA brings platform access. Steam brings nothing to the table that Minecraft needs. If I were to make a game today, I would put it on Steam. If I were to make a game today, and it had as much hype behind it as Minecraft did, I'd be going it on my own instead.