Notch: Minecraft is Full of Hermaphrodites

targren

May 13, 2009
McMullen said:
Well, regarding the wiki as cheating is probably your biggest barrier. In fact, you might want to disregard the concept of cheating altogether for this game. It's not really a thing that applies. You can no more cheat at Minecraft than you can cheat at legos.

PvP is not the only way to play multiplayer. There are many ways to play multiplayer. Personally, I play on a server with friends and family in a cooperative survival mode (usually called SMP or Survival MultiPlayer). But there are many ways to play.

Check out the wiki. They have suggestions for what you can do if you are low on inspiration.
Oh, I don't think it *is* cheating. It just FEELS like it. I don't know where I got the idea that the point is to see what recipes you can find, and might be something that getting over would help.

As for the SMP, alas, none of my friends/family play, so that means strangers and, in my cynical experience, that means griefers. Maybe I should break down and look at the wiki, though, because yeah, I just feel lost. I could have sworn that something spawned inside my completely sealed, moated "fortress" the other night. Some black humanoid-looking-thing, and I think he stole my blocks or something. I dunno.

It's just been a lot of "Towlie" moments. "I got no idea what's goin' on..."

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
The traditional feminist response

For the sake of the civilization we should stop acknowledge feminists and their pointless demands. Jesus Christ, it's 2012, we have more urgent matters than such bs.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
targren said:
McMullen said:
Well, regarding the wiki as cheating is probably your biggest barrier. In fact, you might want to disregard the concept of cheating altogether for this game. It's not really a thing that applies. You can no more cheat at Minecraft than you can cheat at legos.

PvP is not the only way to play multiplayer. There are many ways to play multiplayer. Personally, I play on a server with friends and family in a cooperative survival mode (usually called SMP or Survival MultiPlayer). But there are many ways to play.

Check out the wiki. They have suggestions for what you can do if you are low on inspiration.
Oh, I don't think it *is* cheating. It just FEELS like it. I don't know where I got the idea that the point is to see what recipes you can find, and might be something that getting over would help.

As for the SMP, alas, none of my friends/family play, so that means strangers and, in my cynical experience, that means griefers. Maybe I should break down and look at the wiki, though, because yeah, I just feel lost. I could have sworn that something spawned inside my completely sealed, moated "fortress" the other night. Some black humanoid-looking-thing, and I think he stole my blocks or something. I dunno.

It's just been a lot of "Towlie" moments. "I got no idea what's goin' on..."
That would be an Enderman. He might have spawned there, or he might have teleported. And yeah, they can pick up and move certain kinds of blocks. One thing you'll want to do is make sure your indoor areas are well lit. There are 15 brightness levels, and any floor space at 7 or below can be a spawning point for monsters. I went a real long time without looking that up and was wondering why I kept finding zombies and creepers in my house.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
I fail to see the point of this entire thread, especially since there are so many skins out there that can make Steve into Steverella.

The one thing I will address, though, is that had the company added square breastacles to the model itself to appease the female demographic, chances are it would backfire and come off as "objectifying" to those that were determined to see it as such from the very beginning.

When the subject is gender-specific, nobody wins.

targren

May 13, 2009
McMullen said:
That would be an Enderman. He might have spawned there, or he might have teleported. And yeah, they can pick up and move certain kinds of blocks. One thing you'll want to do is make sure your indoor areas are well lit. There are 15 brightness levels, and any floor space at 7 or below can be a spawning point for monsters. I went a real long time without looking that up and was wondering why I kept finding zombies and creepers in my house.
I guess I should stop being "green" and taking my torches out of my in-house coal mines when I'm finished. Also explains where that #@$! spider game from...

Funny thing... the wiki says there ARE maps and compasses. I just have to craft them. *groan*

Maybe I'll give it another shot. I just wish I could find some blasted iron.

flaming_ninja

<!NULL>
Aug 25, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"Also, as a fun side fact, it means every character and animal in Minecraft is homosexual because there's only one gender to choose from," he wrote. "Take THAT, homophobes!"
Really after you just explained how there is no gender in minecraft in your article you want to drop that? If there is no gender there is no sex, no sex means no sexual preference, no sexual preference equals asexuality. I don't understand how you read past the no gender part to there being one gender.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
flaming_ninja said:
Grey Carter said:
"Also, as a fun side fact, it means every character and animal in Minecraft is homosexual because there's only one gender to choose from," he wrote. "Take THAT, homophobes!"
Really after you just explained how there is no gender in minecraft in your article you want to drop that? If there is no gender there is no sex, no sex means no sexual preference, no sexual preference equals asexuality. I don't understand how you read past the no gender part to there being one gender.
Ever wondered how snails do it?
It's like that.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
targren said:
McMullen said:
I guess I should stop being "green" and taking my torches out of my in-house coal mines when I'm finished. Also explains where that #@$! spider game from...

Funny thing... the wiki says there ARE maps and compasses. I just have to craft them. *groan*

Maybe I'll give it another shot. I just wish I could find some blasted iron.
Iron doesn't occur above sea level. The fastest way to find it is by exploring caves. The safest way is by digging mines. Best place to mine is about 52-49 blocks below sea level, or 7-10 up from the highest bedrock. All ores can be found at that depth.

Oh, I forgot the important things about Endermen: They are not initially hostile but will attack you if you look directly at them. They hit harder than anything besides a creeper blast, and will teleport to catch up to you if you try to run away. You have to either kill them, hit them till they retreat, or jump in a pool of water, which is harmful to them.

flaming_ninja

<!NULL>
Aug 25, 2009
GTwander said:
flaming_ninja said:
Grey Carter said:
It's like that.
Snails are hermaphroditic, minecraft characters or animals never have sex. School'd

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
flaming_ninja said:
GTwander said:
flaming_ninja said:
Grey Carter said:
It's like that.
Snails are hermaphroditic, minecraft characters or animals never have sex. School'd
It requires two snails to make more, and it requires two of *anything* in MC to make more. If it actually showed them having sex we'd be having a way different conversation right now.

/school'd

flaming_ninja

<!NULL>
Aug 25, 2009
GTwander said:
flaming_ninja said:
GTwander said:
flaming_ninja said:
It's like that.
It requires two snails to make more, and it requires two of *anything* in MC to make more. If it actually showed them having sex we'd be having a way different conversation right now.

/school'd
I'll concede that the animals are hermaphrodites if you concede that like most avatars, minecraft characters can have any gender role the player chooses whether that be male female or asexual.

The base character is obviously male, we all know this, Notch is just trying to make a statement. How many girls do you know named Steve?

targren

May 13, 2009
McMullen said:
Iron doesn't occur above sea level. The fastest way to find it is by exploring caves. The safest way is by digging mines. Best place to mine is about 52-49 blocks below sea level, or 7-10 up from the highest bedrock. All ores can be found at that depth.

Oh, I forgot the important things about Endermen: They are not initially hostile but will attack you if you look directly at them. They hit harder than anything besides a creeper blast, and will teleport to catch up to you if you try to run away. You have to either kill them, hit them till they retreat, or jump in a pool of water, which is harmful to them.
Both of those things are very good to know (since I've been leeroying everything but creepers with my sword. I should cease to do that...). :) I'm going to start a server hunt.

Thanks for all the tips.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
flaming_ninja said:
GTwander said:
flaming_ninja said:
GTwander said:
flaming_ninja said:
It's like that.

/school'd
I'll concede that the animals are hermaphrodites if you concede that like most avatars, minecraft characters can have any gender role the player chooses whether that be male female or asexual.

The base character is obviously male, we all know this, Notch is just trying to make a statement. How many girls do you know named Steve?
I'll concede that baskin robbins is no match for ben and jerry's.

As for the moniker 'Steve', he's been using that as a freudian slip for years whenever asked what the name of something is. The 'Kyklops' in his prior game, Wurm Online, is named Steve as well (when asked).

=+ the more you know