Notch says 'If you can't afford Minecraft, just pirate it'.

BrotherSurplice

ENEMY MAN
Apr 17, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
No, Fuck you Notch. I will not support a world wherein if you can't afford it then you're encouraged to just take it anyways. That's not how a functional world works.
Hear hear!

I don't endorse piracy whatsoever. So Notch has said that he doesn't mind people getting his game free of charge. That's fine, its his own work. But this encourages people to pirate other games. Games that have developers that need to make a bit of money from it. Y'know, so they can feed their families/pay bills/keep roof over their heads.

Disclaimer: This does not mean that I support the ridiculous lengths that many developers have gone to to try and stop piracy (e.g. over-agressive DRM), many of which actually encourage piracy.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.336886-Lawyer-Destroys-Arguments-for-Game-Piracy

P.S. My captcha had a punctuation mark in it! WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGIC?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Lilani said:
Valve did this recently, if I recall correctly. They wanted to start selling games in Russia through Steam, and they were encouraged not to because to many developers have said they lose a lot of money due to piracy there. But Valve has had great sales rates in Russia, all because of how easy and accessible Steam is. There aren't a million hoops customers have to jump through when they buy the game. It's just buy, download, play. No strings attached, no DRM locking you out if you lose connection for a little while.
No that I dont agree with the rest of your post, but selling on steam is not piracy.

OT: eh, if notch wants to. I just really hope notch doesnt come out next week and say he's for SOPA or against piracy cause he's losing too much sales.

Not that i think he would, justs aying.

asacatman

Aug 2, 2008
I just gotta say...if you are looking at this thread on a computer that you own, and are not in dire, dire, dire financial straits, you can easily afford minecraft.

The people this applies to are likely from third world countries, or very, very poor people from developed countries.

He's not saying 'Pirate it, I don't care!' Because most people can afford to pay 15 pounds (or whatever it is) for a game.

So if you did pirate it and don't feel guilty...you should (especially since it's an indie game, and needs all the help it can get. Although minecraft is pretty big, so big it's basically mainstream so...I don't know.)

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
Its kinda irresponsible and arrogant for notch to say this as you can bet endorsing it will affect other indie devs too. He is saying this because he is a moron and because hes already made millions and likes the love of idiots who seem to think piracy is anything but theft.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I think he should re-word it.

"pirate" implies without permission.

Here, he is giving permission.

Also, I havn't played minecraft since the update before the one before the enderman one.

What's changed?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Lilani said:
Valve did this recently, if I recall correctly. They wanted to start selling games in Russia through Steam, and they were encouraged not to because to many developers have said they lose a lot of money due to piracy there. But Valve has had great sales rates in Russia, all because of how easy and accessible Steam is. There aren't a million hoops customers have to jump through when they buy the game. It's just buy, download, play. No strings attached, no DRM locking you out if you lose connection for a little while.
No that I dont agree with the rest of your post, but selling on steam is not piracy.
You don't seem to understand what I was saying. Here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114391-Valves-Gabe-Newell-Says-Piracy-Is-a-Service-Problem] is the article if you want to read it for yourself. There are the exact words Gabe Newell used:

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

The proof is in the proverbial pudding. "Prior to entering the Russian market, we were told that Russia was a waste of time because everyone would pirate our products. Russia is now about to become [Steam's] largest market in Europe," Newell said.
Piracy is a problem in Russia, and developers like to avoid that region because what they put out there gets pirated. You still can pirate something purchased digitally--hell it's probably easier since it's already there on the computer. They were telling him to not do Steam in Russia because it'd result in more piracy than monetary gain. But they didn't lose money, because with Steam it's so much easier to buy it legitimately than it is to pirate it. A good portion of piracy is not a money problem. As Valve and Steam has proven, a lot of it is simply a service problem--an issue of availability and user friendliness.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Yeah... that is different with context.
Now you've lost me. What context? Do you think that's hypothetical or something? It happened. Steam offered games in a way that made them as easy, if not easier, to get than by piracy.

...Wait a minute. I don't think we're on the same page. Your original post...

emeraldrafael said:
When did I ever say selling on steam is piracy? What were you talking about, there? The reason I put that thing about Steam in the first place was to demonstrate that stricter DRM that makes it harder on players only encourages piracy, and that if publishers just let go of their stranglehold on their games piracy won't be as big of an issue. I was saying that Steam is a great way to combat piracy, because it takes all the hassle out of buying games and offers sales much more frequently.

Kilyle

Jan 31, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
No, Fuck you Notch. I will not support a world wherein if you can't afford it then you're encouraged to just take it anyways. That's not how a functional world works.
Wait...

...so if a guy who created an infinitely replicable luxury item and already earned a killing off it to the tune of several million sales times ten-to-thirty bucks apiece, and then amicably decides to say "money isn't the issue anymore, but please support us if you enjoy our product"...

...you curse him and deny him the right to do this thing?

What you must think of the Creative Commons! Why, those fools freely donate their time and effort to create useful and artistic works without even bothering to hold onto the rights! How dare they do such a thing! Don't they know that's not how the world works?

It's mindsets like yours that... yargh.

I support f r e e d o m . That includes the freedom to do whatever the hell you like with your own product. Including hosting a free version yourself (as some publishers do with their older material), or telling people to run off and find a free copy elsewhere (presuming a computer program or document, since data that can be freely copied is a world away from a physical object that can be stolen... and the creator should be free to give permission for this, taking it out of the realm of illegal piracy). It's your creation - why should anyone else be able to tell you what you can and can't do with it?

NinjaCatStudios

Mar 30, 2011
Some of my friends, and me, used to log into an account belonging to someone we know to play MC because we couldn't afford it.
Now we have all bought it.
out of the 5 people who did this all of us bought it, + 2 people who didn't use the account we all used.
I actually felt guilty for kindof pirating it, but I bought it when I got the money.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Heh.. funny... If you can't afford Minecraft, then there are -alot- more things you should spend money on =/

Though it's a odd standing on the issue. But then again, alot of people already bought it, maybe it's less needed to be bought or something?
Besides people will pirate it anyway, heck I think it got pirated already when it was in Alpha =/

No use resisting I guess.. Or he is confident in his product and services he provides?

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
You know what, I will. I paid for Minecraft TWICE(!) because my account randomly becomes "invalid", it won't let me play, and none of the support staff has replied to my complaints. I will consider pirating it. Only because I don't want to pay another $20 or whatever the price is now.