Notch says 'If you can't afford Minecraft, just pirate it'.

Andy Szidon

Aug 13, 2011
If someone is going to pirate your game and can't, they'll get pissed and hate your game. Then, they'll pirate another game or play a flash game. Assuming they somehow can't pirate your game anyway or just ask anonymous to pirate it for them.

I'm also not surprised I'm not surprised at this.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Esotera said:
Talking of copying/pirating didn't Skrillex say exactly this a few weeks ago?
And yet on my spare youtube sccount, which I use to test music copyrights before creating videos, a Skrillex track was blocked worldwide!!

shimyia

Oct 1, 2010
i like Minecraft and followed it since the early Alpha ... but i am not able to buy it (country credit card issues) so i pirated it

at least thank you Notch for being understanding

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
FelixG said:
Twilight_guy said:
No, Fuck you Notch. I will not support a world wherein if you can't afford it then you're encouraged to just take it anyways. That's not how a functional world works.
This kind of view is why we cant have nice things.

People who cant afford something are not lost sales, and apparently if you make something and want to give it free to those who cant afford it anyway, you are some kind of villain who is out to wreck the world economy.
Like with all things, if you can't afford an item then that does not mean you deserve to have it anyways. If you can't afford it then you can't have it. It's how capitalism and why taking things that don't belong to you is illegal. This is not about lost sales, its about the simple logic of if you can't afford something the logical response is to either get the money to buy it, or not get it at all.

Also, your red herring is so obvious its painful, he's not giving the game away, he's selling it. If he wanted to give it away then more power to him, but he intention is clearly to sell his game since he's charging for it still. Thus he is simply encouraging the logic that if you can't afford something and you really want it, then pirating it is fine. I do not support that logic and it's going to take more then a bunch of upset forum goers to convince me otherwise.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Twilight_guy said:
FelixG said:
Twilight_guy said:
No, Fuck you Notch. I will not support a world wherein if you can't afford it then you're encouraged to just take it anyways. That's not how a functional world works.
This kind of view is why we cant have nice things.

People who cant afford something are not lost sales, and apparently if you make something and want to give it free to those who cant afford it anyway, you are some kind of villain who is out to wreck the world economy.
Like with all things, if you can't afford an item then that does not mean you deserve to have it anyways. If you can't afford it then you can't have it. It's how capitalism and why taking things that don't belong to you is illegal. This is not about lost sales, its about the simple logic of if you can't afford something the logical response is to either get the money to buy it, or not get it at all.

Also, your red herring is so obvious its painful, he's not giving the game away, he's selling it. If he wanted to give it away then more power to him, but he intention is clearly to sell his game since he's charging for it still. Thus he is simply encouraging the logic that if you can't afford something and you really want it, then pirating it is fine. I do not support that logic and it's going to take more then a bunch of upset forum goers to convince me otherwise.
I suspect no one cares to convince you otherwise. Notch is playing this smart, he has come out in opposition of SOPA so he isn't likely to contradict that by hating on pirates. In fact, the people on this site should stop hating pirates and hating SOPA at the same time.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Crono1973 said:
I suspect no one cares to convince you otherwise. Notch is playing this smart, he has come out in opposition of SOPA so he isn't likely to contradict that by hating on pirates. In fact, the people on this site should stop hating pirates and hating SOPA at the same time.
Um, you can not like pirates and not not like SOPA at the same time. SOPA is a poor way of handling piracy and that's a reason to not like it no matter one's feelings on piracy.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Twilight_guy said:
Crono1973 said:
Um, you can not like pirates and not not like SOPA at the same time. SOPA is a poor way of handling piracy and that's a reason to not like it no matter one's feelings on piracy.
Um no you can't. You need to decide if you are with the greedy corporations or the slimy pirates because this is the Stop Online Piracy Act.

Every way is a poor way to fight piracy and the consumers are always the big losers. The pirates continues to strip off the DRM and keep pirating and the greedy corporations continue to make millions as they condition consumers to accept the new rules that come with the DRM.

Today you can expect to not own games and to be monitored while you play it, prices have not been reduced though. Your rental is now more expensive than when you owned your copy of Final Fantasy XII.

Notch has picked a side and I think it's time for gamers to do so as well. If you are going to bat for the SOPA team, then keep hating on pirates..otherwise, don't hate on pirates.

Kilyle

Jan 31, 2011
FelixG said:
Guy 1 asks Guys 2 who owns property A if he can have a copy as he cant afford it. Guy 2 says sure, go ahead and download it, then teases a bit about feeling guilty, and recommends compensating Guy 2 for it if he enjoyed it.

He understand the concept of lost sales better than you it seems, he knows that the guy who had asked him wouldnt be a lost sale so he doesnt sweat it. The guy didnt feel entitled, he asked and was given permission.
Yeah! That's what I was getting at, and you took the point further than I did.

And for that matter, there's a large section of the public that is getting very annoyed with the steps certain parties take to "prevent" piracy (in ways that chiefly don't work, but do manage to annoy legitimate users/owners). Seeing Notch, who's actually got a really competent product at a decent price, take a stand the other direction is... relieving. It proves there's another way out of this bind, and that there are some businessmen who are willing to take it.

Because there's something to be said for public perception, and it's got its own perks for a business. The effect here is harder to track but it matters.

There's an anecdote - I forget from where - about this kid who went to Disneyland with his family. He and his sister went off and bought a set of glasses for their parents, but accidentally dropped and broke them. Someone said to go talk to the shopkeepers, and the kids said "But why would they do anything? It's our fault." But they went anyway.

The shopkeepers said "We should've packaged them so they could withstand a little thing like a drop," and cheerfully gave them a new set. They didn't have to do this, clearly. But it left the entire family with a very good feeling toward the park's policies, and in the decades after the incident the family spent many vacations there, convinced friends to go, and used Disneyland for certain business outings.

Think of how much money the park made over the years, compared to the cost of that one set of glasses.

Javarock

Feb 11, 2011
believer258 said:
Alright.

I don't normally pirate anything but with permission granted...

...ah, I really shouldn't. My brother already has it anyway, I'll just play his copy every now and then. Not a big fan of the game anyway, it's fun as a short time killer but I couldn't create Middle Earth in it.
Wouldn't say never...

http://www.mcmiddleearth.com/

Anything possible as long as your willing to throw your life at it.'

Edit: Drat, Ninja'd

Anywase, Always thought he had a underline tone of that with minecraft. It's how most of my friends got into it, then they all bought it after.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sandytimeman said:
well lets say I run a hotdog stand, and I tell this guy he can have one for free since he can't afford it. Then the cop up the street arrests him for stealing? :(

lol I know, I'm making a strawman here. But still, I think Notch has the right attitude because look at starcraft, when I was a kid me and my friends pirated that game like crazy, and today as an adult, I own a legit copy of that and I bought the collectors edition of SC2. If your game is good enough, they will buy it.
But you again, admitted your example was ridiculous.

I think that it's good not to freak out over piracy, but that doesn't mean advocating illegal methodology is right, either.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Twilight_guy said:
No I'm against the argument he's making that if you can't afford something then you should just take it.
His. Personal. Intellectual. Property.

And again, you're dictating how he distributes that property by saying this is wrong and he should go freeware and opt for a "donations" page. Which is not, evidently, what he wants to do with his property.

Glerken said:
If someone can't pay for a $20 game they should go look for a job rather than sit on their ass playing a video game.
Must be nice to live in a black and white world where 20 bucks is either not a luxury or you're unemployed.

It really is funny that people are more concerned with it than Notch himself is.

Arbi Trax

Jul 13, 2011
This is some expert-level reverse psychology right here...

Screw you, Notch - I won't do what you tell me! I'm such a rebel I'm gonna pay twice! So there! *rasp*

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Twilight_guy said:
No I'm against the argument he's making that if you can't afford something then you should just take it.
His. Personal. Intellectual. Property.

And again, you're dictating how he distributes that property by saying this is wrong and he should go freeware and opt for a "donations" page. Which is not, evidently, what he wants to do with his property.

Glerken said:
If someone can't pay for a $20 game they should go look for a job rather than sit on their ass playing a video game.
Must be nice to live in a black and white world where 20 bucks is either not a luxury or you're unemployed.

It really is funny that people are more concerned with it than Notch himself is.
$20 is not a luxury. I have a minimum wage paying job, that's only 3 hours of work. If you're in a position where that money is a luxury, here's a tip: Don't spend it.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
>bans users for saying they pirate
>doesn't lock a thread for encouraging people to pirate.

I really, really hate that rule.

(Bought Minecraft over a year ago, haven't played it much since 1.8)