Notch Still Good for Psychonauts 2 [UPDATED]

Howlstone

New member
Apr 7, 2011
3
0
0
Also note that Grim Fandango was not developed in DoubleFine! Partly the reason why Tim can't re-release it on steam etc.
That would have been awesome though.
Edit: Psychonauts co-creator? Kind of an understatement as he was the creator, unless I totally missed who he created it with.
 

Monkeyman O'Brien

New member
Jan 27, 2012
427
0
0
13 mil. Nice. And hell, even if it turns out that is not enough, kickstarter for Psychonauts 2. Theres at least another 5. I mean hes already up to $1,837,299 on a totally unknown project.
I just hope this one does sell well just to see all the publishers who shot him down facepalming.

 

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
16,509
0
1
I've wanted to play Psychonauts for a while now ever since playing and loving Iron Brigade. However, it's not available on the XBL marketplace and finding a copy for the PS2 is seems to be next to impossible where I live so I have still not been able to play it.

therandombear said:
I wish I was able to say "$13 million? Pff, sure".
Who doesn't?
 

thiosk

New member
Sep 18, 2008
5,410
0
0
Now this Notch fellow has in fact made boatloads of money off minecraft. However, if I had that much money, i would be worried about risking one half of it. Seriously.

I do hope he has the sense to hire financial managers and what not.
keelzbunny said:
I'll leave this here to make for an easy update:
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/17681692985/hype
He has exactly the correct amount of sense for whats going on with this.

People shouldn't freak out. The kickstarter project DOES change everything. There have been some highly successful kickstarters related to 4x space games-- highly successful meaning like, a few tens of thousands of dollars, and substantially more than asked. 2 mil really says something about how much people loved psychonauts.

Still never played it...
 

Vern

New member
Sep 19, 2008
1,302
0
0
Fijiman said:
I've wanted to play Psychonauts for a while now ever since playing and loving Iron Brigade. However, it's not available on the XBL marketplace and finding a copy for the PS2 is seems to be next to impossible where I live so I have still not been able to play it.

therandombear said:
I wish I was able to say "$13 million? Pff, sure".
Who doesn't?
Unless something's changed, it should be on XBox Live. I purchased it as an Xbox originals two or so years ago for my 360. But maybe they stopped offering Xbox originals. Ever since mine RROD'd it's been kind of hard to keep up with the changes.
 

shintakie10

New member
Sep 3, 2008
1,342
0
0
So internet. Here's the deal. Don't let this fail if it gets released unless its a god awful play experience. I'm tired of people gettin super hyped for stuff, talkin about how great it'll be and such...then when it actually comes out we're all too busy to do anythin with it.

Related note, hopefully if they go without a major publisher they'll be able to avoid tryin to charge full price (60) and aim for somewhere around 30-40 bucks.
 

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
6,092
0
0
DVS BSTrD said:
On a side note, am I the only one who's been getting ridiculous amount of phantom message notifications?
I got 2049 yesterday. I think it's a time out glitch since I was almost unable to use the site at all.

OT: I read this in the news yesterday and it made me really happy. It finally seems like there's a chance that I'll get a second Psychonauts game. It was the first game I downloaded once I got Xbox Live and I loved every second of the game. Quirky humour and a good concept.
 

rayen020

New member
May 20, 2009
1,138
0
0
if they are worried about turning a profit or not moving enough product, there is really only one thing to do. Offer hats in tf2 with steam purchases. i want those goggles...
 

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
2,821
0
0
Notch your still an absolute hero.....

They make a profit off this and BOOM! Minecraft 2: Return of the creeper :3
 

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
16,509
0
1
Vern said:
Fijiman said:
I've wanted to play Psychonauts for a while now ever since playing and loving Iron Brigade. However, it's not available on the XBL marketplace and finding a copy for the PS2 is seems to be next to impossible where I live so I have still not been able to play it.

therandombear said:
I wish I was able to say "$13 million? Pff, sure".
Who doesn't?
Unless something's changed, it should be on XBox Live. I purchased it as an Xbox originals two or so years ago for my 360. But maybe they stopped offering Xbox originals. Ever since mine RROD'd it's been kind of hard to keep up with the changes.
You've not been on XBL recently have you? When they updated everything on the dashboard they did a bit of cleaning around the marketplace, removing a lot of indie games as well as many arcade and full title games.(they still have some Xbox originals, but not many) I spent about two hours looking for Psychonauts and didn't find anything. If you can find it there please tell me, but I highly doubt you or anyone else will.
 

unnamedsos

New member
Dec 30, 2009
5
0
0
i soooo wanna play the second !!!
i enjoyed last one to the bits , good story good platforming !!! good details for every thing !!!
 

Valanthe

New member
Sep 24, 2009
655
0
0
I gotta say, I want to see this happen, not because I want to play Psycchonauts 2. Well, not -just- because I want to play Psychonauts 2, but more because it's just soo awesome to see Devs work together towards a goal, even if Notch is really just taking the place of a Publisher, it's nice to see things get created this way.
 

Vern

New member
Sep 19, 2008
1,302
0
0
Fijiman said:
You've not been on XBL recently have you? When they updated everything on the dashboard they did a bit of cleaning around the marketplace, removing a lot of indie games as well as many arcade and full title games.(they still have some Xbox originals, but not many) I spent about two hours looking for Psychonauts and didn't find anything. If you can find it there please tell me, but I highly doubt you or anyone else will.
As I said, mine RROD'd back in November and I haven't bothered getting it fixed yet. And even before that I didn't look for Psychonauts after I bought it because, well, I had already bought it. But yeah, I checked on xbox.com and they still have a page for it, but no download link. I can't imagine why they'd take it down, doesn't really make any sense but it's Microsoft. Sorry if I got your hopes up, but it is one of the Xbox games the 360 can emulate, and I never really had any problems with it aside from occasional slow down, but that does mean you can probably just get an original Xbox copy off of Amazon or Ebay and it'll play fine. I just checked and they have used copies for $23, and if I recall correctly when it was on Originals it was $20 so it's not much of a price increase.
 

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
1,112
0
0
Akalabeth said:
Valagetti said:
Oh wow this article is full of mistakes. Its 1.3 million, not 13 Million... oh wait.
But holy shit, 13 Million, this means the donaters are pretty much investers...
Man if this game doesn't deliver and I mean DELIVER, this will make Duke Nukem Forever incident look like, The Resident Evil 5 incident. I feel sorry for Double Fine, cause I bet alot of people will have unrealistic predictions that the game will lower from heaven, with a chorus of harps. Its like Star Wars and the episodes I, II, III. The reason why we hated it, because we wanted to be back in the age we were, when we watched A New Hope, blinded by nostalgia.
No, the reason why we hated it, was because Episode I, II and III were shit.
That maybe your opinion, but just watch Movie Bobs review of Episode I, 3D.
 

shiajun

New member
Jun 12, 2008
578
0
0
I somehow don't want Beyond Good and Evil 2 be released for two reasons:

1)Sequel gitters we all get when we're not sure the product with live of to its beloved status
2) I'm currently not buying any Ubisoft games until they give up on their stupid DRM measures. Skipped PoP: forgotten sands (which I had some interest in) because of this.

Also, how many copies has Minecraft sold, anyway? Where's all that money flauting coming from? I know it has many purchases but all of them are also very cheap. Two million units times $15 is still just 30 million, so 13 million is a BIG chunk of their assets.
 

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
16,509
0
1
Vern said:
Fijiman said:
You've not been on XBL recently have you? When they updated everything on the dashboard they did a bit of cleaning around the marketplace, removing a lot of indie games as well as many arcade and full title games.(they still have some Xbox originals, but not many) I spent about two hours looking for Psychonauts and didn't find anything. If you can find it there please tell me, but I highly doubt you or anyone else will.
As I said, mine RROD'd back in November and I haven't bothered getting it fixed yet. And even before that I didn't look for Psychonauts after I bought it because, well, I had already bought it. But yeah, I checked on xbox.com and they still have a page for it, but no download link. I can't imagine why they'd take it down, doesn't really make any sense but it's Microsoft. Sorry if I got your hopes up, but it is one of the Xbox games the 360 can emulate, and I never really had any problems with it aside from occasional slow down, but that does mean you can probably just get an original Xbox copy off of Amazon or Ebay and it'll play fine. I just checked and they have used copies for $23, and if I recall correctly when it was on Originals it was $20 so it's not much of a price increase.
You didn't get my hopes up, I had looked for it a few weeks ago When someone else had mentioned it being on the XBL marketplace. Besides that, Microsoft has never been great about the best game related decisions. For example, they effectively killed TF2 by not allowing Valve to update it with all the free content the computer version gets, just as Minecraft is probably not going to do nearly as well on the 360 because most of the of Minecraft's popularity comes not only from its simplicity and creativeness but from all the mods people have made for the game which Microsoft will not allow because they don't like people modding stuff on their console.

I can't get it on Amazon or Ebay because I am broke and have some sort of unexplainable hatred of the idea of myself buying things like that online. My luck with finding a copy for the PS2 also sucks. One time when I checked a local GameStop I had been beaten to it by a little girl who had come into the exact same store I had asking for it the day before I did.

EDIT(March 9): Looks like someone decided to put Psychonauts back up on the XBL marketplace. While I would prefer to get a physical copy of the game, I'm glad that it's back up there.