Notch Still Good for Psychonauts 2 [UPDATED]

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Notch Still Good for Psychonauts 2 [UPDATED]

According to Psychonauts co-creator Tim Schafer, Markus "Notch" Persson is a-ok with a budget of $13 million for the prospective Psychonauts 2.

The past two weeks have been good to Bruutal Legend and Psychonauts studio Double Fine Productions. First there was a tore its way through Kickstarter records [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115713-Notch-Volunteers-to-Fund-Psychonauts-Sequel-UPDATED] by raising over $1 million in funding for an as-yet undesigned adventure game in just 24 hours.

Now, like a glacé cherry atop a sponge cake made wholly of unusual funding, Schafer has revealed that chats with Notch about Psychonauts 2 are both ongoing and positive.

Schafer, in an interview with Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5884958/the-past-and-future-of-psychonauts-2], described a recent conversation with Notch. "I was like, 'I don't think you can make [Psychonauts 2] for a million dollars.' The original game was, I think, $13 million, I think you have to match the original game...As soon as I mentioned the amount of money he said, 'Yeah, I can do that.'"

Psychonauts, released in 2005, was a crazy-colorful platforming adventure which involved a young boy bouncing his way through the minds of oddly-shaped characters to stop a brain-snatching conspiracy unleashed by his psychic summer camp leader. While critics raved about the game, however, it didn't perform financially. Schafer says that he has since approached publishers about funding a sequel, but to no avail.

Schafer explained that, "My pitch also involved how the game sold something like 400,000 copies initially. It wasn't enough for us to make money. But since then, through Steam and Good Old Games and all the places it's been, it's gotten in the hands of a lot of people."

"We had a lot of plot elements that were backstory in that [first] game that we planned on revisiting in the future and tying it back in," added Schafer. "We had a longer story arc planned for those characters."

So now it's just a wait-and-see situation. Notch has maintained his seriousness towards this project since his intial Tweet, and there does seem to be a decent amount of fan interest. As Schafer pointed out, Psychonauts turned out to be one of those cult hits that slowly accrues a decent fanbase over several years, many eager for a sequel (Beyond Good and Evil 2, why won't you return my calls?). We'll keep our ears to the ground for further developments in the meantime, and then we can all have a nice, long talk about indie publishing if Razputin really does wind up with a second day in the sun.

UPDATE: Notch has taken to his blog [http://notch.tumblr.com/post/17681692985/hype] to fact-check a few astute and sobering realities for the internet at large, beginning with the fact that the budget for Psychonauts 2 would actually be at least three times higher than his "initial impression." He also notes that he (quite rightly) expects that Double Fine will be very busy with Double Fine Adventure, at least for the next several months or so. Long story short: Psychonauts 2 is nary a zygote and if it does grow, it will be slow to do so. Any hopes that were raised should now be lowered to an appropriate level.

Notch did write, however, that "All I know is that IF the numbers work out and IF they still want to do it and IF they don't decide to self fund a sequel by doing more crowd funding (which is honestly what I would've done if I were them), I would be most interested in doing this type of investment." He would invest in the game not as charity, he says, but because he'd expect it to turn a profit.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5884958/the-past-and-future-of-psychonauts-2]

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I wish I was able to say "$13 million? Pff, sure".

I never finished Psychonauts, game crashed on me after I crossed the lake, even when I re-downloaded it, but I did enjoy it so far, so you can put me on the "interested" list. ;)

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
As much as Notch has made from Minecraft, I'm quite sure $13 million is going to be a pretty large financial risk. Now, I've never played Psychonauts so I don't know whether it's that good or whatever, but man, pretty ballsy move on Notch's part.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well the remark on Psychonauts cult classic status is a no-brainer. Im happy to have it in the same group of games as Okami and God Hand.

Notch has remarked before that Minecraft had made Mojang more money than they knew what to do with. So using it to fuel Psychonauts 2 would be a good move for better or for worse.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Damn, Notch has quite a lot of money.
But this would be good. I mean, i haven`t played the first one myself, but I´ve hear so much good stuff about it. So logically, it has to be good. Right, right???
Anyways, i guess all we can do is wait and see how this turns out.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Oh wow this article is full of mistakes. Its 1.3 million, not 13 Million... oh wait.
But holy shit, 13 Million, this means the donaters are pretty much investers...
Man if this game doesn't deliver and I mean DELIVER, this will make Duke Nukem Forever incident look like, The Resident Evil 5 incident. I feel sorry for Double Fine, cause I bet alot of people will have unrealistic predictions that the game will lower from heaven, with a chorus of harps. Its like Star Wars and the episodes I, II, III. The reason why we hated it, because we wanted to be back in the age we were, when we watched A New Hope, blinded by nostalgia.
As for me I'm gonna buy the game and expect nothing of it.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Valagetti said:
Oh wow this article is full of mistakes. Its 1.3 million, not 13 Million... oh wait.
But holy shit, 13 Million, this means the donaters are pretty much investers...
Man if this game doesn't deliver and I mean DELIVER, this will make Duke Nukem Forever incident look like, The Resident Evil 5 incident. I feel sorry for Double Fine, cause I bet alot of people will have unrealistic predictions that the game will lower from heaven, with a chorus of harps. Its like Star Wars and the episodes I, II, III. The reason why we hated it, because we wanted to be back in the age we were, when we watched A New Hope, blinded by nostalgia.
As for me I'm gonna buy the game and expect nothing of it.
Hmm?.. I think you are in the wrong article, since this has nothing to with public donations

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Owlslayer said:
Damn, Notch has quite a lot of money.
But this would be good. I mean, i haven`t played the first one myself, but I´ve hear so much good stuff about it. So logically, it has to be good. Right, right???
Anyways, i guess all we can do is wait and see how this turns out.
Its great. As a game, its good. As an experience its out of this world. The representation of peoples psyches are just fantastic. The design is just very, very good. The Milkman conspiracy is probably one of my ALL time favorite things.

OT: Oh, man. This is just awesome. I can already see the publishers of today blowing up like the skyscrapers in the end of Fight Club...GLORIOUS! The amount of creative, awesome games we can get from this is to die for...

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
therandombear said:
What do Newt Gingrich's Super Pac and Notch Persson have in common?

They're both willing to spend millions of dollars all ... for Naut
No idea who Newt Gingrich is nor what his Super Pac is. So you get a 5 out of 10 for effort at least. ;)

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
therandombear said:
DVS BSTrD said:
therandombear said:

No idea who Newt Gingrich is nor what his Super Pac is. So you get a 5 out of 10 for effort at least. ;)
Americans got the joke anyway. I have to admit it made me chuckle.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
therandombear said:
DVS BSTrD said:
therandombear said:

Americans got the joke anyway. I have to admit it made me chuckle.

LunaSocks

Dec 27, 2010
I'll leave this here to make for an easy update:
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/17681692985/hype

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
With their powers combined, they are Double Mojang, greatest of all indie companies!

Though, I'm almost tempted to revoke both of their indie cards. They're beginning to look like black holes on a gravity map of the cosmos--things are soon to change around them. Not sure if we can let them keep the "indie" title if that's the case.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
On a side note, am I the only one who's been getting ridiculous amount of phantom message notifications?
I had 2041 earlier.

OT: Its not 2005 anymore, word of mouth, digital-only, and a sub-£30 asking price should get it rolling.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
BehattedWanderer said:
With their powers combined, they are Double Mojang, greatest of all indie companies!

Though, I'm almost tempted to revoke both of their indie cards. They're beginning to look like black holes on a gravity map of the cosmos--things are soon to change around them. Not sure if we can let them keep the "indie" title if that's the case.
notch already made an announcement basically declaring that, as for double-fine they couldn't fund their own game so they're still pretty-much indie imo

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
therandombear said:
To be fair, I think he's speaking for Mojang. And if Mojang can pony up the cash, they very well could stand to make a big profit on it.