Notch Unveils His New Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Notch's new game is a hard sci-fi something or other called 0x10c.

The truth is that I'm not sure exactly what Notch's new game is in any specific sense and I have no idea how to pronounce the title [although I suspect there's some kind of phonetic play going on here; Zero Extents, perhaps?], but it sure sounds like it'll be something... well, I don't know. All that Notch himself has said about 0x10c is that it's new, it's a space game, it's "quite ambitious" and there will likely be a monthly subscription fee for online play.

The game will take place in a parallel universe in which the space race never ended. Thanks to an unfortunate miscalculation that smacks of forgetting to convert to metric, what I assume was the entire population of Earth was put to sleep in 1988 and didn't wake up until the year 281,474,976,712,644 AD [not kidding here], with the entire universe teetering on the brink of extinction. What happens at that point isn't really clear but the dev team "hopes to include" lots of hard science and engineering, a fully-working in-game computer system, space battles, duct tape, seamless planetary landings, an advanced economic system, single and multiplayer action and a whole lot more.

Whatever it turns out to be, it sounds like 0x10c will be aimed first and foremost at the techno-wonks in the crowd. "The computer in the game is a fully functioning emulated 16 bit CPU that can be used to control your entire ship, or just to play games on while waiting for a large mining operation to finish," Notch explained. "Full specifications of the CPU will be released shortly, so the more programatically advanced of you can get a head start."

0x10c is still very early in the development process but the plan is to release it early, much as was done with Minecraft, and let the players help guide the development of the game. More information about the game, including a partial DCPU-16 0x10c.com [http://0x10c.com/doc/dcpu-16.txt].

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Well, blow me down with a feather. Mars Effect wasn't entirely an April Fool's joke after all. Considering the mass appeal of Minecraft, this may well be worth keeping an eye on.

Wilcroft

Oct 31, 2008
Hard(-ish) Sci-Fi + Space Travel + Assembly Coding?
WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE!!!!!!!!

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Ah, he did add the most sacred engineering tool ever invented, duct tape! If some of you knew the amount of duct tape that is in some American nuclear plants, you'd faint.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. An in-game 16-bit CPU sounds pretty cool, if a bit underwhelming now that we've seen it in his other game.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
OH GREAT, NOTCH STARTS TO GET A HARD ON FOR ASSEMBLY CODING AND FIGURES HE SHOULD PUT IT IN HIS GAME. 16 bit....:/...what is this, 1988.OH...oh i see.

btw 0xSOMETHING is a programming expression, usually used for hexadecimal writting n such n i never realy gave a shit. you see it a lot, in, GUESS WHAT, assembly coding...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Earth was put to sleep in 1988 and didn't wake up until the year 281,474,976,712,644 AD [not kidding here]
I just want to say if you're very familiar with powers of 2 that's actually rather funny.

( 281474976712644 - 1988 = 281474976710656 = 248 years asleep.)

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Where are the Yo Dawg jokes? A game that you might actually need to buy a game in in order to help you pass time playing the game? I'm So Meta Even This Acronym.

Sounds incredibly ambitious, and I hope he can make it happen... but it sounds like a lot of it will be centered around the in-game computer system.

Dec 14, 2009
Who wants to bet that Minecraft was a fluke and that Notch's next game won't be nearly as good or as popular?

I'll reserve judgment, but I'm highly sceptical.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Who wants to bet that Minecraft was a fluke and that Notch's next game won't be nearly as good or as popular?

I'd say everyone who isn't a Notch fanboy would bet that.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

Who wants to bet that while not as great as minecraft it will still be decent or good?

Dec 14, 2009
JokerboyJordan said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I'd say everyone who isn't a Notch fanboy would bet that.
I enjoyed Minecraft, but at the end of the day, it's just a lego set.

Notch may very well be getting ahead of himself.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
This sounds like the kind of game I'd love...

...except I have no knowledge of programming and absolutely no interest in it. I don't mind him aiming at those who do, but that is going to be a very niche audience. And even if they take steps to make it more openly accessible, I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing a game where I felt I was permanently scavenging code off of those who actually knew what they were doing.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
The plans for this game do sound rather ambitious. I hope he's not working on it alone.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
Catchy title eh?

I'm particularly excited about the Duct Tape features.

In all seriousness this seems like EVE. As one of the people who like EVE I hope Notch the best of luck.