Notch: Windows 8 Could Be "Very Very Bad" for Indies

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
TomWiley said:
No surprise that Notch decided to jump on the bandwagon. That guy is the living definition of an attention-whore. There is nothing guanine about his criticism of Windows 8. He is just saying what everyone else is saying, or alternatively, what people want to hear.
Wow, he has a twitter account, truly he is as bad as the Kardashians and no way does this award winning programmer and very successful independent entrepreneurial developer have anything relevant to say about this. Nah, he's just some uninformed idiot repeating random things random people say with absolutely no logic at all. move along, nothing to see here, if any other experts tell this warning that only confirms your theory that people are stupidly repeating this rumour, not a unanimous consensus of experts, hell no.

In fact Minecraft doesn't even exist, it's all a hoax made to serve pointless Notch worship. All those youtube videos, all faked by the CIA. That memory I have of playing minecraft for days, I must have imagined it from Notch's Pharaoh like insane worship, in fact more people talk about Notch than the previous three US president's combined.

PS: Microsoft is nothing to worry about, a very trustworthy company who never does wrong.

[/sarcasm]

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Windows 8 is a massive heap of shit and the only people who will actually use it will be old, un-tech savvy people who get it OEM on their new laptops.
Everyone else will laugh at Microsofts pathetic attempts to get us to switch and then they'll really quickly roll out a light update of Win 8 calling it Win 9, and then Windows 8 will be mentioned in the same breath as 'Vista', 'Windows me' and 'Brown, sludgy periods'.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Treblaine said:
TomWiley said:
No surprise that Notch decided to jump on the bandwagon. That guy is the living definition of an attention-whore. There is nothing guanine about his criticism of Windows 8. He is just saying what everyone else is saying, or alternatively, what people want to hear.
Wow, he has a twitter account, truly he is as bad as the Kardashians and no way does this award winning programmer and very successful independent entrepreneurial developer have anything relevant to say about this. Nah, he's just some uninformed idiot repeating random things random people say with absolutely no logic at all. move along, nothing to see here, if any other experts tell this warning that only confirms your theory that people are stupidly repeating this rumour, not a unanimous consensus of experts, hell no.

In fact Minecraft doesn't even exist, it's all a hoax made to serve pointless Notch worship. All those youtube videos, all faked by the CIA. That memory I have of playing minecraft for days, I must have imagined it from Notch's Pharaoh like insane worship, in fact more people talk about Notch than the previous three US president's combined.

PS: Microsoft is nothing to worry about, a very trustworthy company who never does wrong.

[/sarcasm]
No, I think you're a bit confused. See, it's not sarcasm if everything you say is true.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
TomWiley said:
From the original article, quoting:
... Markus "Notch" Persson ...
... Gabe Newell ... (Valve)
... Ed Fries ... (ex. Microsoft Game Studios)
... Rob Pardo ... (Blizzard)

So a minimum of four (4) attention whores right there. You are saying all of them are "attention seeking wannabees"?

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
PingoBlack said:
TomWiley said:
From the original article, quoting:
... Markus "Notch" Persson ...
... Gabe Newell ...
... Ed Fries ...
... Rob Pardo ...

So a minimum of four (4) attention whores right there.
Gabe Newell doesn't count because he started the trend. The rest of them however could very well be attention-whores.

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
TomWiley said:
Gabe Newell doesn't count because he started the trend. The rest of them however could very well be attention-whores.
There goes any chance of sentient discussion ... Since you see, they all have way more industry cred than you. And bottom have more cred than Notch himself.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
TomWiley said:
Treblaine said:
TomWiley said:

[/sarcasm]
No, I think you're a bit confused. See, it's not sarcasm if everything you say is true.
Really? Minecraft doesn't exist, it's all a hoax by the CIA?

HA!

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
PingoBlack said:
TomWiley said:
There goes any chance of sentient discussion ... Since you see, they all have way more industry cred than you. And bottom have more cred than Notch himself.
I'm sorry I just ruined any hope you had of having a sentient discussion, which undoubtedly was the intention of your first reply. I should have made my cred-comparisons before I got myself into this.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Treblaine said:

HA!
Why would you even say that? I played Minecraft like two hours ago. And what would CIA possibly stand to gain from this, assuming that your absurd conspiracy theory is even true.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
TomWiley said:
Treblaine said:
TomWiley said:
Treblaine said:
TomWiley said:

[/sarcasm]

HA!
Why would you even say that? I played Minecraft like two hours ago. And what would CIA possibly stand to gain from this, assuming that your absurd conspiracy theory is even true.
Why would I say that?!? Because it's sarcasm.

I put a big sign at the bottom of my post labelling it as sarcasm. As in, don't really believe this is true, irony, opposite of literal intention.

You even acknowledged that I was trying to be sarcastic yet you claimed:

it's not sarcasm if everything you say is true.
And I sarcastically said that Minecraft was a hoax game that never existed. That was one of the 'things' I said. A whole Paragraph.

My Face;

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
TomWiley said:
I'm sorry I just ruined any hope you had of having a sentient discussion, which undoubtedly was the intention of your first reply. I should have made my cred-comparisons before I got myself into this.
No worry, just from your statements alone it is obvious your cred is way bigger than any of there's.

I was just checking, but you cleared it all up for me.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Treblaine said:
TomWiley said:
Treblaine said:
TomWiley said:
Treblaine said:
TomWiley said:

[/sarcasm]

HA!
Why would I say that?!? Because it's sarcasm.

I put a big sign at the bottom of my post labelling it as sarcasm. As in, don't really believe this is true, irony, opposite of literal intention.

You even acknowledged that I was trying to be sarcastic yet you claimed:

it's not sarcasm if everything you say is true.
And I sarcastically said that Minecraft was a hoax game that never existed. That was one of the 'things' I said. A whole Paragraph.

My Face;
I thought you meant to sarcastically say how Minecraft is *not* a CIA hoax, thus indirectly implying that it *is* a CIA hoax, to which I replied by pointing out the obvious, namely that it's a literal impossibility that Minecraft is a hoax.

Quit honestly, I'm surprised you don't see the gaping logical impossibilities in that conspiracy theory yourself. Because there is no way Minecraft could be a hoax. Someone would have noticed.

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
sapphireofthesea said:
2. In built connection to a store...FOR A PEICE OF SOFTWARE I ALREADY FUCKING BOUGHT, you are going to clog things up, make me do fucking work to get something I paid money to do what I want it to do without it wasting resources on running a connection to a store, ON A PEICE OF SOFTWARE I ALREADY BOUGHT. (I am not a fan of being fucked with advertising after I have been decent enough to pay a company for a service, recently left McAfee after 4 years of happiness for this very reason)

3. If it brings very little to the table appart from a connection to a fucking inhouse store (will drop the agro at some point), what is the point of PAYING for this feature and suffering the loss in resources need to run it. And if I am just to disable it, what's the bloody point?

4. Notch and others are refering to program restrictions that are likely to come as part of this in house store (think what happened with D3 in trying this). If MS want to have it they will NEED to make it worth using which means ensuring it is the best option.

5. I re-iterate, I AM PAYING THEM MONEY, WHY THE HELL SHOULD I PAY FOR THE PRIVELAGE OF BEING ADVERTISED TO?
Care to explain what the donkey-flipping fuck you're on about?

That whole number 2 paragraph I quoted? I can't even parse it. What work is going to be forced upon you because you have the option of buying from a digital store? Wasting what resources?

There are no ads in Win8. If you open up the store app, then there will be things to buy on display, as well as things to download for free. Its like Apple's App Store and Google's Android Marketplace, scaled up.

I want you to imagine Windows 7, ok? You're with me so far? Make a background from a uniform colour, make all your icons into coloured squares and add an icon named store.

There. Windows 8. Everything still works the way it used to, except your start button is full screen with square buttons and there's one of those labelled "store". You don't have to use it. It's like Internet Explorer; It's there for people who don't know better. Do you know better? Then congrats, don't use it! Install Firefox, Chrome or Opera the same way you've been doing all these years and install any other software you want however you want to!

You know what the best Metro App is? It's called desktop, where you and all the software you love can continue to exist!

I agree that Metro is kind of silly, but you know what the biggest criticism Microsoft has been getting since Apple started making fun of them? It's not intuitive enough. And so much of the shit that's been directed at them stems from that; people don't know that the fuck they're doing and they blame Windows for being a pile of shit. Metro is the answer to that. Big colourful square and pre-approved software from a central distribution source. So easy a child can use it! And now they're getting some fresh shit for that.

And you know, Windows 7 still exists. You don't have to upgrade so save your money and anger and just ignore Win 8 if you don't care for it.

Crono1973 said:
I installed Windows 8 on a Vista system and it runs so much faster than Vista. That's sad, that shows just how piss poor Vista was. When a 2012 OS runs faster on 2006 hardware than an OS that came out in 2006.
An OS with 6 years worth of optimization runs faster?? Stop the presses!
Yes, Vista got kind of bloated (nowhere near as bad as the reaction to it), but it was a necessary step, with a new kernel and new features with some rough edges that were then made smoother in the next version.
They couldn't just skip right ahead and optimize Vista into Win7 and not release shit for 3 years.

Still souns like the system is there for the sake of the store. Why should it even be on a operating system to sart with. It would be like having a phone in a car directly linked to Honda in case you want to buy something else. And if it is a useable program you can bet oney it is running something in the background.
I aid money to he a program to sort running my system, NOT to have any sort of software to purchase anything, which seems to be one of the core concepts in windows 8.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Iunno, Windows 8 is the "weak chain." It's always been that way...

Windows 3.1 was a great step up.
The various versions in between were really crap.
Windows 95 was good.
Windows NT 4.0 sucked because they borked moving from FAT32 easily, and it was made only for server owners.
Windows 98 was a nice step up, but just really a large update to 95.
Windows ME was the worst piece of shit in the world.
Windows XP was a surprisingly amazing upgrade.
Windows Vista was the 2nd worst launch in the world, and they dropped it as soon as...
Windows 7 was the most surprising install ever, which worked amazing.

So, naturally, Windows 8 will be the worst ever. They will figure out what went wrong, then Windows 9 will be awesome.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
I wonder when exactly notch became such an important celebrity that everything he says is to be taken seriously and raised as a primary concern.

Being fair, I'm not follong Windows 8 development, so I'm not sure if he's talking the truth or not.

halobolola

Mar 3, 2011
Anyone that has used win 8, will realise that the os is a bad decision for anyone, not just game devs.

there is no chance that i will upgrade (more like downgrade) to win8. even thinking about not geting a surface tablet.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I think Windows 8 could just be very, very bad in general. Windows 7 is good, so by Microsoft tradition Windows 8 has to be bad.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Mr.Tea said:
Crono1973 said:
Vista should have never been released, it should have been fixed (Windows 7) before it was released.
In the grand scheme of things and with the benefit of hindsight, you're right.
But like I said, there was no way they could hold off on a new OS for another 3 years when they had already waited too long for Vista. They just had to release it.

Crono1973 said:
On 2006 hardware, Vista should run better than a 2012 operating system on 6 year old hardware. If you can't see that then I don't what else to tell you. It's like Windows XP running better on 6 year old hardware than Windows 95 did.

Vista was a bloated mess and it still is today even after all the updates. Anyone thinking that "Vista wasn't really bad" needs to share their meds.
You're getting hung up on the years. "2006 hardware" doesn't mean anything. Let me rephrase what you're saying: With the exact same hardware, version 6.2 should perform worse than version 6.0.
Do you see what's weird with that statement? (Yep, Windows Vista is NT kernel 6.0, Win7 is NT kernel 6.1 and Win8 is NT kernel 6.2)
And fuck no, Win95 vs WinXP is completely irrelevant because those are years when technology was still moving furiously fast; You see, a computer with a Core 2 Duo and 2GBs or RAM from 2006 can still run roughly what we run today, but a computer from 1996 (we had one) could not run jack shit made 2 years later. That doesn't happen so much today. Do you remember Crysis and how "But can it run Crysis?" was a funny joke about computers? Well that was 2007. Five years ago. And a single GPU will still struggle to max it out.

I never had a problem with Vista on 3 computers and I wasn't on anything. Vista was not, in fact, "really bad", but you're coming at me like I proclaim it to be fantastic. I'm not; It was acceptable.

People shitting on it are drinking the opposite kool-aid that makes people think OSX is the shit. Vista was totally functional, but system builders were slapping Vista-ready stickers on woefully inadequate hardware, and hardware manufacturers that were supposed to deliver new compatible device drivers for the new kernel had their thumbs up their asses long enough to piss a whole lot of people off.
Yes, they could have held off on releasing Vista as evidenced by the fact that most people ignored it and just kept on using XP. When Windows 7 came out, many people were happy to upgrade to a "Vista that works".

Vista was really bad and it's too bad you can't see that, many people saw it in 2006 and have known it since then.