Notch Would Love to See Minecraft on Wii U

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Notch Would Love to See Minecraft on Wii U

Minecraft is on just about every gaming platform out there, with the notable exception of Nintendo products - but Notch wouldn't mind changing that.

It's safe to say that Minecraft is a titan among indie games. You can play it on just about anything - PC, Mac, Linux, Xbox 360, Raspberry Pi, Android, and iOS, with Sony versions coming soon. Yet there's one market that remains curiously untapped - Nintendo platforms. It seems like Minecraft would be a hit among the Nintendo demographic, and rumors have been flying recently that the Wii U might be getting a port. Bad news first: Notch shut down the rumor, stating that he is "not aware" of any plans to bring Minecraft to the Wii U. But if there were more hours in the day, he'd like to do it.

A recent post on reddit spread the news that there was no port in the works, and Notch himself chimed in with an explanatory comment. "I'd personally love to see a Wii U version of Minecraft," he admitted. "Actually, even more so, a 3ds version would be incredible. There are some homebrew proof of concepts that show it's possible. The reason we're not doing it is a lack of time and manpower." He says that they could pull it off by outsourcing the work to another developer, but that isn't the Mojang way.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/notch/status/416452962450300928]

Keep in mind that Notch has moved on to other projects, and is no longer the main man of Minecraft. "I'm not really that involved in the business part [of] Mojang," he says, "so I don't know if Nintendo's been in contact with us." So it's possible that a Nintendo version could be happening - just don't hold your breath.

Source: reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1tsi9z/i_am_not_aware_of_any_plans_to_release_a_wii_u/ceb40qr]

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Too much to work on?

Like...what exactly? Not Notch himself, but Mojang?

If it were Sony and Microsoft they would've jumped up on it in a heart beat.

I have a feeling that they just don't WANT to, but don't want to outright say it.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
He says that they could pull it off by outsourcing the work to another developer, but that isn't the Mojang way.
Another developer like, say, 4J Studios?

I would adore a Wii U version of Minecraft. The gamepad for inventory management (imagine, an always-open inventory) with the main display for the actual world would be awesome. A 3DS version might be good with a circle pad pro, but not with just the standard controls.

P.S. Thanks

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
In my mind, of course he fucking would. More consoles it's on the more money he can squeeze out of his platinum egg laying slut of a goose.

Though, it's not like the WiiU has an installed user base ... well it does but it is the size of a large village.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
If it were Sony and Microsoft they would've jumped up on it in a heart beat.

I have a feeling that they just don't WANT to, but don't want to outright say it.
You do realize that they just barely launched Minecraft on the PS3 and it still has bugs to iron out, and the fact that they still need to make the PS4 and Xbox One version as well? I'm pretty sure it's not that he doesn't want to, but you also have to remember that the Wii U is more difficult to program for than the other two. Just give it time really, because like I said, the PS3 just barely got Minecraft this year, when it's been out on 360, PC, Android, and iOS devices for a while now.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Haven't seen one of these articles in a while...everything Notch tweets is not news, okay? Like, I love Minecraft as much as the next guy (probably more than a lot of people) but every single exhale from a certain Swedish man does not constitute an article in my opinion.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Neronium said:
but you also have to remember that the Wii U is more difficult to program for than the other two.
The Wii U is absolutely not more difficult to program for than the PS3. The PS3's cell processor and the Wii U's Espresso CPU are actually remarkably similar (both based on IBM's own Power PC architecture), except the Wii U doesn't have all the same over-complex sync stuff to worry about. Honestly, PS3 -> Wii U is far easier than average, as ports go. I mean, PC <-> Xb1/PS4 is probably easier still, but this is plenty feasible at a reasonable price.

P.S. Thanks

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Covarr said:
Neronium said:
but you also have to remember that the Wii U is more difficult to program for than the other two.
The Wii U is absolutely not more difficult to program for than the PS3. The PS3's cell processor and the Wii U's Espresso CPU are actually remarkably similar (both based on IBM's own Power PC architecture), except the Wii U doesn't have all the same over-complex sync stuff to worry about. Honestly, PS3 -> Wii U is far easier than average, as ports go. I mean, PC <-> Xb1/PS4 is probably easier still, but this is plenty feasible at a reasonable price.

P.S. Thanks
I know that, but the PS3 has still been out for longer than the Wii U. I'm mainly countering her assertion that "of it were Sony or Microsoft then they'd of jumped on it in a heartbeat" because it just sounds like they are trying to say that they don't like Nintendo and are purposely avoid it despite there possibly being actual reasons for it. If anything Mojang would just continue with the PC port if that were the case since that's what's sold the most copies of Minecraft, but whenever I see assertions that a certain company doesn't do something for one consoles, but that they'd probably do it in a heartbeat for others, irks me to no end.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Neronium said:
...they still need to make the PS4 and Xbox One version as well? I'm pretty sure it's not that he doesn't want to, but you also have to remember that the Wii U is more difficult to program for than the other two.
Covarr said:
The Wii U is absolutely not more difficult to program for than the PS3.
Nobody claimed it was. The "other two" are the PS4 and the Xbone.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Pyrian said:
Fair enough, but I'd wager it's still easier to port the game to Wii U from PS3 than it is to port to Xb1/PS4 from Java. If the PC version were native, it'd be a different matter, but as it is, a next-gen version would pretty much need coded from scratch.

P.S. Thanks

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Covarr said:
Pyrian said:
Fair enough, but I'd wager it's still easier to port the game to Wii U from PS3 than it is to port to Xb1/PS4 from Java. If the PC version were native, it'd be a different matter, but as it is, a next-gen version would pretty much need coded from scratch.

P.S. Thanks
Why would it be easier to port from a cell architecture system to a PowerPC system than to port from x86 PCs to... well, x86 consoles? I'm not aware if the PS4 or Xbone has a Java VM, but if they do, Minecraft could run on them pretty much as is. If they were open platforms, the community could have Minecraft running on them in a day. Two, tops.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Denamic said:
Covarr said:
Pyrian said:

P.S. Thanks
Why would it be easier to port from a cell architecture system to a PowerPC system than to port from x86 PCs to... well, x86 consoles? I'm not aware if the PS4 or Xbone has a Java VM, but if they do, Minecraft could run on them pretty much as is. If they were open platforms, the community could have Minecraft running on them in a day. Two, tops.
Because Cell and Espresso are already very close relatives, both being based on Power architecture.

Like I said though, if Minecraft on PC ran native x86 code (or if there was a Java VM for now-gen consoles) that WOULD be easier, but porting from Java to native x86 is absolutely less work than porting Cell to Espresso.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. One thing I didn't take into consideration before and should have is that Minecraft for X360 uses Direct3D for its graphics already, which the PS4 and Xb1 both support. The game's core may be easier to port to Wii U, but the graphics code would be far easier to port from 360 to Xb1/PS4.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Covarr said:
He says that they could pull it off by outsourcing the work to another developer, but that isn't the Mojang way.
Pah, beat me to it. I wonder if Notch would care to revise his comment or if we're just expected to ignore the 360 version.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't see why Minecraft isn't already on the Wii U and indeed, the 3DS...the only limitations I would see would be getting the 3DS version to work well online. Otherwise...I couldn't find the clip so when it comes to a Wii U version of Minecraft:

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Covarr said:
Pah, beat me to it. I wonder if Notch would care to revise his comment or if we're just expected to ignore the 360 version.
Actually they make the PS3 versions and are in development on the PS4 and Xbox One as well. I think he means he doesn't want a 3rd party that isn't 4J

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Baldr said:
CriticalMiss said:
Covarr said:
Actually they make the PS3 versions and are in development on the PS4 and Xbox One as well. I think he means he doesn't want a 3rd party that isn't 4J
But he said that handing development off to third parties isn't the 'Mojang way' (I wonder if Sweden will name a road that), so unless 4J are owned by Mojang it's a bit weird of him to say that they don't want to do it the way they are already doing it and apparently on multiple consoles too.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I'd buy the WiiU Minecraft. Whenever it happens, I will buy it. I just hope it isn't crap compared to the other Console Versions (But I would understand if it is terrible compared to the PC Version).

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Wonder if nintendo will talk about that. Couldn't hurt nintendo or mojang that much if they managed to port minecraft to every other existing console and handheld. I'm curious if nintendo will seek this out.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
While I knew this rumor was pretty sketchy and I'm not surprised to see that it was wrong, I'm still kind of disappointed. I'd really love a Wii U version. At least Notch hasn't ruled out that possibility, so maybe when they're done with the XBox One and PS4 versions they can start work on a Wii U version. I can hope, anyway.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I really have to play Minecraft at some point, otherwise I fear I will never understand why we're supposed to care so much about it or Notch. Is another possible Minecraft console adaptation that's purely speculative at this point really that newsworthy? Hm.