Novus Aeterno Promises Big Things From a Small Company

zagoalie

Aug 28, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
AndyRock said:
was this the mmorts extra credits mentioned? i can't remember, and i'm hopeful for this game, i love rts's, and would be interested in seeing an mmorts done well
Quite possibly but has no one heard of the upcoming MMORTS End of Nations that's pretty much what this is like only it's announced free to play and is being made by Petroglyph half of the company that was once Westwood studios with music being composed by the great Frank Klepacki.

I like the idea that we are getting some more from the RTS genre and i like how it's coming back in a new fashion.

Plus the game is still open Beta for those willing to give it a try.

Edit: i see you've already been told beforehand so just a little more info.
actually this sounds like a polar opposite of end of nations.

end of nations budget of 100,000,000 and done by massive development studios and they whent at a more normal RTS with some units and resorces that cary over and novus aeterno seems to be much more ONE SINGLE MASSIVE PERSISTENT MAP kinda thing.

when i played End of Nations at PAX it is map based and you go into a map battle go out of a map, there is no seamless universe or persistence other then some units and credits etc transferring from map to map.

but honestly im just happy to see more mmorts games

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
LorienvArden said:
From their FAQ:
Q: Will Downloadable Content be an additional charge?
A: The subscription fee will cover all additional content including all future expansions.

Interesting concept, but I'll skip this as it will have a subscription.
Well it could end up being a really great deal, or a huge rip-off. It strongly depends on what kind of content they deliver over time.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
zagoalie said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
AndyRock said:
was this the mmorts extra credits mentioned? i can't remember, and i'm hopeful for this game, i love rts's, and would be interested in seeing an mmorts done well
Quite possibly but has no one heard of the upcoming MMORTS End of Nations that's pretty much what this is like only it's announced free to play and is being made by Petroglyph half of the company that was once Westwood studios with music being composed by the great Frank Klepacki.

I like the idea that we are getting some more from the RTS genre and i like how it's coming back in a new fashion.

actually this sounds like a polar opposite of end of nations.

end of nations budget of 100,000,000 and done by massive development studios and they whent at a more normal RTS with some units and resorces that cary over and novus aeterno seems to be much more ONE SINGLE MASSIVE PERSISTENT MAP kinda thing.

when i played End of Nations at PAX it is map based and you go into a map battle go out of a map, there is no seamless universe or persistence other then some units and credits etc transferring from map to map.

but honestly im just happy to see more mmorts games
I'm still going to play both but i prefer the style of End of Nations and we will see what the Beta for Novus Aeterno plays out like but i don't want this game to have more publicity than the other i want it to be fair so others can go look at both games rather than miss the other game based on what others have said.

zagoalie

Aug 28, 2011
i can understand wanting even publicity but this is the VERY FIRST article about NOVUS AETERNO in history, it is a team of 10 gamers vs End of Nation with 100 million dollars by a MASSIVE developer i don't think that End of Nations needs much help but i will play both of them just saying one is small indie studio other one is industry super power.

Sypheria

Aug 28, 2011
Hi, there. I'm the main server engineer for Novus Aeterno. On behalf of Taitale Studios, I would like to invite you to our forums if you would like any additional information on gameplay. Hope to see you there.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Gaaaaah

When I saw the image in the article I was SOOOOOO hoping for a first person space combat sim.

I REALLY want a FPP space combat sim. Why is no one making these any more? Massive downside is that one of the things that would have been wonderful for that sort of game would be online multiplayer, which basically they started drying up as multiplayer rose.

Oh well. Good luck to them. I mean honestly I cant understand the desire to try to compete either directly or indirectly with starcraft, but hey if they got the stones to try it, more power to em.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
I think it's a bit early to get our hopes up - so far all we know is that the developer says "it'll be awesome! just wait and see!".

However, I at least certainly am intrigued: they're original, and that combined with ambition is always a thing to watch.

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Kargathia said:
I think it's a bit early to get our hopes up - so far all we know is that the developer says "it'll be awesome! just wait and see!".

However, I at least certainly am intrigued: they're original, and that combined with ambition is always a thing to watch.
Well, it had an early playable build up at PAX, and from what I saw it's coming along pretty well. The combat is awesome partly because it uses Newtonian physics, so drifting around and strafing your enemies actually works as advertised. It's pretty cool.

antofdeath

Jan 26, 2011
I would like to point out that I think this and every other imo who tries to renovate and actually give me something to play does well, but this is far from a new concept in the last 2 years alone I have found multiple mmorts that didn't get the attention they deserved, a few I stopped and played for awhile, shores of hazeron, mankind, (the now defunked) beyond protocol, this game seems to be very close to beyond protocol, lookit up might be worth it to find some new games if you have been waiting for them like most of us

zagoalie

Aug 28, 2011
antofdeath said:
I have found multiple mmorts that didn't get the attention they deserved,
this title has been worked on for 4 years now apparently completely under the radar working for no money just for the love of it by 10 guys. so in my opinion this IS one of those games that deserve the attention and finally they got some of it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
FelixG said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
AndyRock said:

I havent seen any open beta listed, could you PM me the link to sign up and get in the fight?
No problem here you go bro http://www.endofnations.com/en/community/newsletter.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
This will only really become a hit if it uses the addiction tactics of most MMOs, which is exactly what turns me off MMOs, so I probably won't pay attention to this any further.

zagoalie

Aug 28, 2011
Some people seem to forget that all MMORTS games so far including End of Nations ARE NOT a real MMORTS, they have maps that you play on then end and select another from an overview map, thats not persistant. Novus is one giant map that constantly expands as more player join it, you also create your own empire, colonise planets and such.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
zagoalie said:
Some people seem to forget that all MMORTS games so far including End of Nations ARE NOT a real MMORTS, they have maps that you play on then end and select another from an overview map, thats not persistant. Novus is one giant map that constantly expands as more player join it, you also create your own empire, colonise planets and such.
hm... strange things are a foot at the circle k...

you joined today, as did someone from the team actually working on the game. you're championing the game with no real way of knowing too much about it. my point is that i can't help but feel like perhaps you're one of The 10. if so, i'd fully expect you to defend and promote your game, however, approaching the subject as just an outsider or fan, that's extremely misleading and disingenious. i don't like being toyed with or manipulated. so please, before this becomes an embarrassing PR situation, just out yourself now as a member of the team.

i could be wrong, but my instincts have rarely failed me to date.

EDIT: Proof my instincts don't fail me.
http://www.moddb.com/forum/thread/mmorts-sci-fi-game-seeking-few-team-memberstrinigy-vision-7-enginefunded

EDIT 2: just thought it was important to point out the wording used that attempts to create an image as someone who's merely an observer, not someone with a vested interest.

"actually this sounds like a polar opposite of end of nations."
key phrase here: "sounds like". a phrase attempting to establish outsider opinion by just saying from what they've heard, it "sounds like" a game different than it's leading competitor.

"this title has been worked on for 4 years now apparently completely under the radar working for no money just for the love of it by 10 guys. so in my opinion this IS one of those games that deserve the attention and finally they got some of it."

the two damning phrases here are "apparently" as though you had no inside knowledge and lastly, the BOOM! Headshot! moment... "finally they got some of it." THEY? you mean YOU?

now i just want to point out WHY i'd call you out on this BS you just tried to pull.

1. You misled us. I'm not okay with that from EA, and I'm not okay with it from a small developer either. A little transparency goes a long way towards earning respect.

2. You JUST joined our community. You didn't care about us before today, and even today, only bothered to join to promote your game through deceit. Also, NOT OKAY.

3. You felt the need to bash the content of your competitor by calling it NOT a "real" MMORTS. I expect this from huge companies, but I expect a little better from small guys. It's why I love Valve, they may be huge now, but they still approach things with the Small Guy respect.

I was excited for what I was reading here, but I'll have you know that I'll be passing this game up now, regardless of IT'S content, because of YOUR content.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Sypheria said:
Hi, there. I'm the main server engineer for Novus Aeterno. On behalf of Taitale Studios, I would like to invite you to our forums (forum.novusaeterno.com) if you would like any additional information on gameplay. Hope to see you there.
You should have read the terms of agreement before you decided to start promoting your own website.

zagoalie

Aug 28, 2011
Hay man, you know your right, i am part of Taitale, to the point i actually founded it. I'm sorry i lost my cool it has been a really long weekend at PAX and i was a bit grumpy also sorry for linking to our website or forums by sypheria earlier, we are just so dam exited that there is a review about us but you are completely right it was a very rude move.

Someone on our team has already said not to reply to comments in anyway as it can get messy, I mostly just wanted to try and make sure those people that still had questions or didnt quite understand what the game was knew the right information. The linking was a bad move and was done by another member of the team, he shall be beaten with sticks.

(i hope this does not turn into a troll fest or get off topic i just do want to apologize)

Sypheria

Aug 28, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
You should have read the terms of agreement before you decided to start promoting your own website.
Why thank you Soviet. I did indeed go back and read the ToA and edited my post appropriately.