Now that Fallout 4 is being teased, what would you like to see in the next installment?

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
minimacker said:
The coolest thing in the New Vegas main-quest was... fight Lanius? Saving/Assassinating the NCR Pres was pretty cool. Except you don't actually do much yourself. You just go around talking to NCR soldiers to find the assassin. Big whoop.
The coolest thing in the New Vegas main quest was that you could influence outcomes and it actually made sense. The Fallout 3 main quest was pants-on-head retarded. Pants. On. Head. That's the pinnacle of bad writing, my friend.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Ickorus said:
Careful mentioning multiplayer around TES/Fallout fans, you might spark a shit-storm. (I agree with you, by the way)

Improvements to the combat system (I hate VATS with a passion, I want weapons to handle well enough that I won't have to use it) and perhaps a little bit more colour in the world, I know it's post-apocalyptic but it's just a little bit too brown for me.
The problem with adding multiplayer to TES/Fallout is that Bethesda is terrible at balancing things. In single player it doesn't matter if energy weapons are ridiculously OP, but it would matter in multiplayer.

I wouldn't mind multiplayer being tacked on though, to be honest. I doubt it will happen, but so long as it doesn't detract from the primary experience (like in Mass Effect 3).

Zef Otter

Nov 28, 2007
Pandabearparade said:
Ickorus said:
Careful mentioning multiplayer around TES/Fallout fans, you might spark a shit-storm. (I agree with you, by the way)

Improvements to the combat system (I hate VATS with a passion, I want weapons to handle well enough that I won't have to use it) and perhaps a little bit more colour in the world, I know it's post-apocalyptic but it's just a little bit too brown for me.
The problem with adding multiplayer to TES/Fallout is that Bethesda is terrible at balancing things. In single player it doesn't matter if energy weapons are ridiculously OP, but it would matter in multiplayer.

I wouldn't mind multiplayer being tacked on though, to be honest. I doubt it will happen, but so long as it doesn't detract from the primary experience (like in Mass Effect 3).
I agree, I like how Bioshock infinite took the stance on multiplayer.

But I rather see most the budget go to a great single player rather then a meh single and multiplayer.

I just hope the ending is good, I hated the last boss of FO3 who you can kill in one or two hits.

One thing I wonder is how much of Boston is open to us. Im guessing one of the dlc might be going to Maine with the whole stephen king vibe from there ;3

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Pandabearparade said:
Ickorus said:

Oh I understand exactly where you're coming from, it probably would have billions of balance issues but in the end all I want is to be able to connect to a friends game and have a bit of fun with them.

I think the problem people have with it is when they think multiplayer they think Call of Duty or something, this isn't the case for most advocates of multiplayer in these games, we just want to connect to a friend and explore the exact same story and content as we would if we were playing alone.

Mack Case

Dec 9, 2011
Pandabearparade said:
Terminate421 said:
Setting it in Atlanta,
Are there many landmarks in Atlanta? I think Bethesda wants cities with big, flashy set pieces that are easily recognizable.
well, from my experience watching The Walking Dead, I know it has the CDC, and probably a quarry somewhere, as well as actual tall buildings, something we've never seen in a fallout game before (DC has restrictions against tall buildings because of the nearby airport, making the Washington monument the tallest structure in the city, and and tall buildings in the west coast cities went unnoticed due to 2d isometric game play, and for some reason Las Vegas didn't have any either)

other than the giant mutant versions of giant lizards, and the almost annoyingly certain walking dead references, there really isn't much to say for atlanta. They're supposed to set it in Boston.

After that, they could decide to go south, but I think it's far more likely that they continue north to Toronto, the only other city that was referenced in fallout three, other than Boston and Pittsburgh. Isn't that exciting? they might set a fallout game in the exciting and exotic land of Canada! I actually think that would be pretty awesome. Canada would have all the stresses of being newly annexed, on top of the apocalyptic destruction.

I hope they go back to the Fallout 3 map design. New Vegas never really struck me as "open" not in the same sense that Fallout 3 was "open". there were always mountains, or impassable obstacles getting in the way of true openness, while in DC, they had a nice balance, with the guided exploration in the city, and the completely borderless exploration in the wasteland. I also hope they go back to having more settlements. I know it isn't very logical, but I think it was very dull in New Vegas, for there to only be three or four wastelander settlements, and the rest just dull questless military outposts. I want them to ramp it up, and have tons of tiny little towns, just struggling to get by. I definitely want them to make more sense, with a defined reason for why the settlement is there, like they had with goodsprings. they only really ever did that in Fallout 3 with Rivet City, Megaton (although their reason had long since become invalid), Meresti Station, and Agatha's House. All the others were just a bunch of metal shacks popped down in some place that looked interesting, or had recognition as being in a famous landmark.

I definitely DONT want them to change up the leveling system. I hear people suggesting they swap it over to the Elder Scrolls style, and I can't stand it. They need to keep Fallout from being Elder Scrolls with guns, and one of the best ways to avoid that is by keeping the gameplay definitively different.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
- Have NCR, the Brotherhood of Steel (both the east and west coast versions, maybe they can even fight each other) Enclave, Super Mutants, whatever's left of the Legion, and so on. All factions that could reasonably fit in whatever location this ends up being in.

- Whether the game takes place solely in the U.S. or not, sprinkle in some background as to what state exactly the rest of the world happens to be in and what they have been doing the past 200 years. I want to know if the rest of the world in Fallout just as screwed up as the U.S. is, or if it's better off (in which case there will have to be a reason why they haven't shown up to take over the U.S. or something yet.)
-It really wouldn't make sense for the NCR to be on the east coast, unless the next game was like 200 years more into the future. Which would REALLY make any sort of "wasteland" impossible.

-They did that with Tenpenny in Fallout 3, he left Great Britain and came to the CW because Britain is that much of a hellhole that the CW is better.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
minimacker said:
The_Lost_King said:
I want Obsidian to make it. FO:NV was 10 million times better than FO3.
Gameplay wise? Billion miles ahead. You had some serious crafting, bullet making. Enemies like the Super Mutant were stronger. There was DT, Hardcore mode, a load of new weapons and a better skill system (No more Big Guns). They handled skills and stats to dialogue better instead of the stupid percentage.

Story? Eeeeeehh... "Benny shoot you! Follow from town to town! You kill Benny! Take over the world!". It wasn't as open-ended as 3 was. In 3, as long as you knew where to go, you could skip a few tasks in the Main Quest. In New Vegas, they placed Deathclaws and killer wasps that protected 2/3rds of the map. They railroad you. Great.

3 had you fight Behemoths in DC, go into a creepy-ass simulation to find Dad, had you fight the Enclave with a 40 foot anti-communist robot called Liberty Prime. You then had the choice to cure the irradiated water, or spread a sickness that only affected the "impure" (Those who were born in the wastes)

The coolest thing in the New Vegas main-quest was... fight Lanius? Saving/Assassinating the NCR Pres was pretty cool. Except you don't actually do much yourself. You just go around talking to NCR soldiers to find the assassin. Big whoop.
You can skip tasks in the main auest in New Vegas. You just have to be smart and it would also help to have a stealth boy. People have done it. There are a million videos of it on youtube.

I will agree that Fallout 3 sounds cooler, but to me it just wasn't fun. The Behemoth fight was decent, The VR was actually pretty cool, The robot wasn't, I don't want something killing everything else for me(now if that part had been more like Infamous 2 it would have been awesome).

I also cared about killing Benny 10 million times more than finding Daddy. I also found the quests to get there more entertaining(Nightkin are awesome). Also I love the factions(except House, House was an ass).

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
A ballistics engine that's not based off a first-person melee game. Far less effective VATS

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
The_Lost_King said:
except House, House was an ass).
Smug personality aside, House is the best outcome for the protagonist and for Vegas (apart from independence) on a macro scale. He's not as evil as the Legion, not as corrupt as the NCR, and has a track record for getting shit done. He stopped Vegas from being hit by nukes, and is perhaps the only human left alive with sufficient knowledge to actually back up his boasts of getting humanity progressing technologically again.

Think the NCR could do it? Look at Helios 1. Fantastic is their greatest scientific mind - the NCR is going nowhere.

On a micro level, the protagonist is still wisest to pick House (or independence) just to reap the best reward. The NCR gives you a lame civilian medal (fuck you, NCR), the Legion puts your face on a coin (fuck you, Caesar), but House gives you whatever the fuck you want. Want to live forever? House can make it happen. Want lots of money? House has it. Want a sex robot? House is the Grand Poobah of the sexbots.

The House always wins.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Pandabearparade said:
Think the NCR could do it? Look at Helios 1. Fantastic is their greatest scientific mind - the NCR is going nowhere.
Actually, he is just some guy they picked up on the street because he CLAIMED to know what he was doing.

The real NCR scientists wouldn't dare risk themselves by stepping into the Mojave.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Pandabearparade said:
The_Lost_King said:
except House, House was an ass).
Smug personality aside, House is the best outcome for the protagonist and for Vegas (apart from independence) on a macro scale. He's not as evil as the Legion, not as corrupt as the NCR, and has a track record for getting shit done. He stopped Vegas from being hit by nukes, and is perhaps the only human left alive with sufficient knowledge to actually back up his boasts of getting humanity progressing technologically again.

On a micro level, the protagonist is still wisest to pick House (or independence) just to reap the best reward. The NCR gives you a lame civilian medal (fuck you, NCR), the Legion puts your face on a coin (fuck you, Caesar), but House gives you whatever the fuck you want. Want to live forever? House can make it happen. Want lots of money? House has it. Want a sex robot? House is the Grand Poobah of the sexbots.

The House always wins.
Except for the fact that all he cares about is Vegas. Anyone who is an inch outside Vegas can go fuck themselves in his eyes. The Legion actually care about their people and make the roads completely safe and at least the NCR tries.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Timeperiod: slightly before the war, then experience war itself and the main bulk of the game happens directly after the war
Location: some urban area in Canada (yes I know canadians are mostly nice people, but I don't think they would accepted "annexation" that easily- resistance movement should inevitably follow. And main protagonist could be member of that movement, at least until bombs started to fall down)
Few possible factions: remains of Canadian freedom fighters, remains of U.S. armed forces, remains of Canadian police and firemen, sane ghouls, remains of local organized crime groups, etc.
Story: basically surviving and trying to get into one of the vaults.

Due to the time period creatures can be some crazy mutated previously unseen examples of fauna that will die off in a few years, but now are harassing locals
Also surviving would be much more complicated (low level radiation EVERYWHERE with pockets of medium, strong and lethal radiation, majority of food and water is irradiated, medicine is hard to find, etc.)

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
I'm a huge, platinum-trophied fan of Fallout 3 and I approve this message.

New Vegas is a bugged out heap of junk that I've given up on. It's sad that they don't fix it.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
mGoLos said:
New Vegas is a bugged out heap of junk that I've given up on. It's sad that they don't fix it.
It was fixed over a year ago. It's as stable as Fallout 3 these days, perhaps moreso.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Spartan448 said:
2: The ability to fix things up.

3: Using vehicles. Once we fix up that random motorcycle we found outside the doctor's hut in Megasprings or whatever the starting town is this time, we should be able to use it,
The problem with motorcycles, and cars, in Skyrim's engine, is that the physics sucks ass for them.

The horse drawn carriages in Skyrim originally all had their own animated sequences where you would see them move and stuff, but all of them except the one at the beginning, were cut out because they were massive glitch fests, and they rocked like boats in water.
Who said anything about using Skyrim's engine. Remember, this was only a tease that Fallout 4 MIGHT be in the works. It could be anywhere from 99% done to still in the brainstorming phase. For all you know, Bethesda could be working on an engine that eclipses everything else.

Also, on the side, I want to have the option to be able to attempt to have ANY NPC join me. One of my favorite moments of Fallout 3 was using a mod to make 3-Dog join up with me, and hunting down enclave encampments together.

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
Pandabearparade said:
mGoLos said:
It was fixed over a year ago. It's as stable as Fallout 3 these days, perhaps moreso.
On the PS3?

Mine is still freezing :( At least it was during the holidays.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
mGoLos said:
On the PS3?
Oh, no.. sorry. :(

The PS3 always gets the shaft on Bethesda games. Buy the PC version if at all possible. The unofficial patch and mods make it the only way to play a Fallout/TES game.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Honestly, I want a new engine. also I want a few more cinematic pieces like the opening to Skyrim. Running from the Dragon and the like was stellar. But with how successful the engine was previously, and regardless of any cinematic events, I doubt we will get either.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
-remove the stupid karma meter just have reputation.

- have it take place in Europe.

-if not then keep the winner of new vegas a mystery.

-alternatively get creative like with daggerfall and make one new big ending that has elements from all endings.

-allow me to kill everybody in the world and still finish the main plot.

-completely redo crafting so that?s it?s a essential part of the game make sure to make it easier to see what items can be used for crafting and for which recipe.

-remove the weight limit or make it very hard to make money with armor and guns wasting my time by forcing me to go back to a merchant destroys the pacing but it?s both the best and easiest way to make money.

-don?t turn the main character into a one man army I should not be able to go to Hoover dam and massacre the ncr.